Monospaced Font

CONLANG  November 2014, Week 2

CONLANG November 2014, Week 2

List of Conlanging Resources

Will Hodges <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:05:38 +0000

So, guys and gals.

I know many of you are advanced conlangers (way more so than me), yet I was
struggling to find reliable resources for conlanging, even with good posts
on online boards. So, I made a comprehensive list of all the resources I
use and love, as well as a few others that I have not yet checked out, yet
look good. Just looking to help out my fellow conlangers :) All resources
marked with a * are definitely worth your money.

*Essentials:*

http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main (online only)

   1. Good, easy, online way to store all information about your various
   conlangs.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Language-Construction-Kitlet-ebook/dp/B007AQVUI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1329594995&sr=1-1
(99c, e-book)*

   1. This book is definitely required for anyone who owns an e-reader,
   tablet, or computer, and can afford it.
   2. *To get on Nook, Calibre, etc.* Go here:
   http://www.epubor.com/drm-removal-tools-for-amazon-kindle-azw-ebooks.html
   download the appropriate file, and follow their instructions. Next, go
   here: http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/ to convert to desired file.
   This IS legal, as long as you DO NOT SHARE the de-DRMed file with anyone
   but yourself.
   3. Goes through all of the basics requirements for making a conlang,
   with useful graphics, charts, etc.
   4. Mark Rosenfelder's online LCK, as an e-book, so it can be accessed
   for free, but I believe it is worth the 99c.
   5. For a more in-depth look at this same type of stuff, read the
   extended LCK (only paid for e-book) or the ALC (Advanced Language
   Construction, only paid.)

http://www.zompist.com/kit.html (free, online, print, e-book)*

   1. This book is not required if you have read either the LCKitlet or
   ALC, but is definitely recommended.
   2. Covers all of the basics for a conlang (more in-depth than the
   LCKitlet), and is super worth your money, esp. if you get it in the paid
   e-book flavor.
   3. *To get on Nook, Calibre, etc.* Go here:
   http://www.epubor.com/drm-removal-tools-for-amazon-kindle-azw-ebooks.html
   download the appropriate file, and follow their instructions. Next, go
   here: http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/ to convert to desired file.
   This IS legal, as long as you DO NOT SHARE the de-DRMed file with anyone
   but yourself.

http://fiatlingua.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/fl-000024-00.pdf (free,
online (as pdf))

   1. This PDF is basically a comprehensive word list for your language.
   2. Free, so get it ASAP.
   3. *To read on your e-reader, computer or tablet*: Go here:
http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/
   to convert to desired file. Transfer to tablet, computer, or e-reader.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a53drodkennzsf/Sample%20Scripts.rtfd.zip?dl=0
(my creation, grouping of scripts collected from Omniglot. Totally free,
convertible, etc.)

   1. First off: it would be biased for me to give a good review of my own
   thing, but oh well.
   2. Great for people struggling with inspiration for conscripts for their
   conlang.
   3. I am unsure how to read this on an e-reader, though if someone
   figures out how to convert .rtfd to .mobi .azw or .epub, reply with the
   steps, and I'll add it

http://www.fantasist.net/downloads/ConlangPhrasebook.zip (online download)

   1. Blank file for making a wordlist.
   2. Great for anyone, but especially beginners.

http://www.fantasist.net/downloads/ConlangSlangPhrasebook.zip (online
download)

ADULT CONTENT

   1. Slang version of the above. BEWARE; ADULT CONTENT

http://bprhad.wz.cz/awkwords/ (online word generator)

   1. Great if you don't want to go and make thousands of words, though not
   my main recomendation (see below)

http://www.zompist.com/gen.html (online word generator)

   1. Great if you don't want to go and make thousands of words!
   2. My main word-gen recommendation. by Mark Rosenfelder.

*Recommended:*

https://listserv.brown.edu/conlang.html (e-mail list)

   1. THIS IS AMAZING. I use it, and it is just a sneak-peek at all
   conlanger's discussions about their conlangs! THIS IS AWESOME.* I can
   not state how much I love this list.*

http://library.conlang.org/about/glossary.html (online)

   1. Just a list of conlanging terms for those new to conlanging.
   2. I will be making a downloadable .rtf of this ASAP for easy conversion
   and offline reading.

http://www.zompist.com/lck2.html (paid, online, print, e-book)*

   1. If it were not paid, this book would be required. Since it is paid,
   it gets placed under 'Recommended'.
   2. This book goes even *farther into language construction than any
   other tutorial I have found*.
   3. Covers non-alphabetic scripts, plus more in-depth on everything
   covered in the LCK and LCKitlets.
   4. *To get on Nook, Calibre, etc.* Go here:
   http://www.epubor.com/drm-removal-tools-for-amazon-kindle-azw-ebooks.html
   download the appropriate file, and follow their instructions. Next, go
   here: http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/ to convert to desired file.
   This IS legal, as long as you DO NOT SHARE the de-DRMed file with anyone
   but yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkz028nj1zdqvlb/BG%20Language%20Creation%20Guide.rtf?dl=0
(BG Language Creation Guide. My copy/paste of the whole BG Language
Creation Guide into a universal, convertible, rtf file. Totally free!)

   1. First off: this is NOT owned by me. I take NO credit for this file.
   My entire job on this was: cmd-c, cmd-v.
   2. This is a good resource, especially for those not wanting a mammoth
   of a language.
   3. *To read on your e-reader, computer or tablet*: Go here:
http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/
   to convert to desired file. Transfer to tablet, computer, or e-reader.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29128447/Mao/MaoLessons.pdf (free,
online (as pdf))

   1. This book is great, and covers the IPA and Phonetics. Great, free,
   get it now.
   2. This book is not necessary for a good language, but should be read
   eventually (it is free)
   3. *To read on your e-reader, computer or tablet*: Go here:
http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/
   to convert to desired file. Transfer to tablet, computer, or e-reader.

http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/charts/IPAlab/IPAlab.htm (online
interactive)

   1. Online interactive IPA chart. Useful for understanding IPA terms and
   stuff.
   2. *Almost an 'essential'*

https://web.archive.org/web/20120119125123/http://www.eskimo.com/~ram/essays.html

   1. Great essays that provide another POV for the LCKitlet and LCK. Read
   or skim all of them. I will be making a downloadable .rtf of these files
   ASAP.
   2. Read these essays ASAP.

group of essays:

   1. http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/classification.html
   2. http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/euroclones.html
   3. http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/auxlangs.html
   4. http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/wittgenstein.html
   5. http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/jargon.html
   6. I will make downloadable .rtf s for these essays ASAP. These are
   great intros to what they're about (the last is another list of conlang
   slang (hehe rhyme)

http://www.joerg-rhiemeier.de/Conlang/history.html (online essay)

   1. Great resource about the history of conlanging.
   2. I will make a downloadable .rtf of this essay ASAP

*Not Yet Read by Me:*

http://www.zompist.com/lexipedia.html (paid, online, print, e-book)*

   1. This is a book I have not read, yet it is spoken of a ton, and seems
   to be an *entire book based on word formation*. Sounds good to me.
   2. *To get on Nook, Calibre, etc.* Go here:
   http://www.epubor.com/drm-removal-tools-for-amazon-kindle-azw-ebooks.html
   download the appropriate file, and follow their instructions. Next, go
   here: http://www.ebook.online-convert.com/ to convert to desired file.
   This IS legal, as long as you DO NOT SHARE the de-DRMed file with anyone
   but yourself.
   3.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060214233734/pueblacity.com/ego-pdf/ng/lng/how/how__all.html
(online, .zip)

   1. This is an book based on the LCK by Mark Rosenfelder.
   2. This book covers large amounts of stuff, and should be read as an
   alternative POV for the LCK.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Conlang (looks good. Free, online, etc. No
downloadable)

   1. Looks great to me, huge wikibook on Conlanging. I will be making a
   downloadable .rtf of this file ASAP so it can be read other places than the
   interwebs (hehe).
   2. Next on my to-read list, so look here often for a better review.

http://dedalvs.conlang.org/notes/manifesto.php (online)

   1. Looks OK, not a OMG-I-MUST-READ-THIS-ASAP!!!! kind of thing, but
   worth a look.
   2. I'll be making a downloadable of this in .rtf format for easy
   conversion and offline reading.

If you have a favorite resource not on this list, post below with link and
review. If I like it, I'll add it to the list (with your review). Please
note I speak English and Latin, so sites in other languages will need
translations before I add them to the list.

--Demosthenes Amelius Locke, conlanger.

P.S. This is also on the zompist bboard and the conlang board as well.