CONLANG  December 2014, Week 2

CONLANG December 2014, Week 2

Primitive work on a gloss for the Cainchildren

Julian Garberson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Dec 2014 05:09:49 -0500

Hello my friends,

This gloss is so primitive that I hesitate to submit it. I … can’t remember … I dreamed I switched languages so easily, I … I … <little sob>.

Even for this short work, many Cainchild words are still not listed.

I am MUCH better at involved descriptions of their cultures.

They have a WILDLY different idea about indefinite nouns. They tend to hold that there is such a thing as honor ore, sadness ore, and many many other things of this nature. They believe that, as yet, they are simply too limited to be able to empirically measure stuff like that in the laboratory, but eventually hope and believe they will do so. They hold that if one was enlightened enough, indefinite nouns would become definite and you would see things as they really were. For example, one would then be able to build the equivalent of Geiger counters for concepts like oppression and sadness, measure oppression fields and sadness fields like electromagnetic fields, scan for malice, etc.

Hayakavrá, Gayakavrá, Aayakavrá = Cainchild. This word contains a pronounced glottal stop in the first syllable. [difficult to transliterate, though on my computer I recorded audio of one correct pronunciation].

As with the Hopi, it is not very easy to translate or express notions about time, and especially idioms about who “owns" time, such as “you are wasting my time.” “You are wasting my [elective] heartbeats” would be more to be expected among Cainchildren.

ún = heart organ [imitative]

They have words for shades of colors continuing to range into what would be infrared for humans.

They have an extremely status-conscious language, possessing status-conscious personal pronouns and status-conscious demonstrative adjectives such as “yon aforesaid noble personage over there,” and “the honorable personage in front of me” (compare 御前) but in fact exceeding in this regard even the Japanese. One example is that you cannot say “our administrator” because there exists no way to say it without implying that (you plural) have dominance over the administrator, a despicable claim.

They have more degrees of diminutive suffixes that we do in English.

Engeli’yhe = the English language.

Used of machines, the words on and off are the same as the words for alive and dead. For this perception I am much indebted to William H. Keith, when he was commissioned to write about the Vah* species (human military reporting name: Käfers).

kavra 1. Fruit. 2. One’s offspring. 3. Antidote, especially for blood poisoning. 4. Antidepressant. 5. Solace.
	Also related to “God,” “blood,” “life,” “ameliorate” “restorative” (noun), “tisane,” (noun) “consume,” “horticultural graft,” and “better.” In Cainchild lifeways Cainchildren thing about this noun the way the Hmong thing about the organ of the human body that we know as the liver. vrá/kavra  is fundamental to their identity.

Qita’na = pursuer of atavists, or “hunter of atavistic people,” my otherworld fiancee’s personal name.

Qité’naye’eh = a police officer.

shaáb = efferent nerve

Ínitu = Lilith

ábganhe = acupuncture

vihón = a radio

angel, an gél = 1. clanbreaking, i.e., rape, felonious discourtesy, incest, pedophilia, abandonment, or similar offense. 2. to step on another’s shadow. 3. feces. 4. summary impalement.

angélkahe = damnatio memoriae.

chu'hai'tyshensho = leaping-emerald-fire. Appellation used by my otherworld fiancee’s clan, in extended form.

Áro = uncle

neshén = hydraulophone.

They like to put massive arrays of hydraulophones in caves and then put huge drums under the hydraulophone outlets, then make houses of worship and hostels inside.

swey'áheval'dar = sessile neither plant nor animal sprouting feathers that are poisoned. A  treelike heraldic symbol. Compare Nordic World Tree.

priest = tahulé. Compare archaic akuléyye, to look down, to introspect. tahulé also sounds similar to the verb for “doubt oneself.”

mass wedding

body modification

ornamentation and scrimshawing of fangs, painful rite of passage for nobility

consort of equal stature to oneself

consort of unequal stature  to oneself

nuptial sacrifice of the self-aware — qorebi’yéyye

prayer clock

elective ending of existence by a happy couple advanced in years

long happy marriage

marriage bed

wedding chest

the lovemaking league, an organization with franchises, commentators, mass media, online voting, etc. [fully as serious as human sports organizations, NOT a joke]

marriage stick [like Cherokee]

a warrant for ritual sacrifice of the self-aware

envenomation and Embrace during orgasm on the wedding night (to make your human spouse a Cainchild)

māyiriko = legislature [diminutive], little legislature. Compare māko, legislature, camā riiya, Grand Court. By compound words that involve negation, you can express such concepts as alone, depressed, disenfranchised, proscribed, banished, etc.

amabayíri = form, rigamarole, decorum, proceduralism, prescriptivism, politeness, what ought to be done, stuff normal in conference. 2. a nautilus. 3. social immobility. 4. ornate buttons for clothing.

māsadi - breach of decorum, especially relative to alimentation. Compare Hausa “santi”

Gayahan [contains glottal stop] = Prophet First Sire Cain.

gem sigils

to brand someone with gem sigils

Kírgayahan sukabará — By the First Sire! [interjection, pronunciation has extensive dialect differences]

bill of attainder

to fledge [someone]

fledgeworthy [adjective], not to be remedially put to death, worthwhile (used of a person who has the potential to be Embraced and made into a Cainchild).
2. An offensive slang term meaning “sexually attractive,” used by stupid young punks.

mukáryi = condemned meat unworthy of death, living object lesson via blood transfusion. Compare German Lebensunwertes Leben. Mukáryi has no singular and no article.

“death from thirst for blood,” compare japanese karoshi, death from overwork

vrá the basic word for blood, red, responsiveness, and life are identical.

Their word for “sleep disorder” is related to one of their words for “idiot."

weird city, unnatural city, aboveground city

fabeshë = ovary

kansárkahe = sorrow

“Pamasané garrihy’hyét deshén, igasarrai deshén, yasa ya nir khaná deshén, yariye’Lleihimnë. ”

“May the Ladyship’s mother’s mothers be faring well, may the Ladyship’s father’s fathers be faring well, may the Ladyship’s clan and [her/their] hearth be faring well, her Servant prays it so.”

Bin chat! = Charge to contact!

Yaii kása ka = Open the way, God comes. (Cainchild battlecry).

kábsanhe, ká’avaranhe = Lord God, The God, the God of Abraham.

It should be noted that not all vampires believe in Abrahamic religion.

kábrasahe = apostasy.