CONLANG  December 2014, Week 2

CONLANG December 2014, Week 2

Re: Primitive work on a gloss for the Cainchildren

Julian Garberson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Dec 2014 14:52:00 -0500

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 11:26 AM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> If I am sad, do I have sadness ore, or am I in sadness ore, or is sadness
> ore in me, or on me?

According to one of their major schools of thought, sadness ore is radioactive. If you are sad, you are being irradiated by ionizing sadness radiation (kadabíryet’ne = “sadions”). Obviously, it is very common to have people in proximity to one another and feeling sad at the same time. This is explained by more than one person being in the affected area. When sadness is overcome or controlled, they believe one has found the troublesome deposit of sadness ore and dispersed it for safety, for much smaller shard to remember the trouble you once had, for weaponization against your enemies, etc. With this concretization, no scientist is ever blamed for not having isolated sadness ore, happiness ore, madness ore, anger ore … because it is an article of faith that even if it takes eons, things of this nature will eventually be isolated by Cainchildren (and humans) after they get more enlightened. By and large, they believe, this eventual breakthrough will be beneficial to everyone.

 The exact beliefs about concretizations like this depend on which conception of the universe the particular Cainchild or group of Cainchildren believe in. These conceptions vary because of their principles of religious freedom, and are certainly not enforced by inflexible dogma or religious police. Most of their religious and philosophical systems are syncretic, and have quite a bit of animism. There are Abrahamic belief systems, time worshippers, reproduction worshippers, and many others. In the case of those who worship reproduction, this often involves meditation on the close observation of the reproduction of animals, humans, plants or microorganisms. Cainchildren do not do much conception of full-blooded vampire children. They do not adopt very many humans either, let alone Embrace many humans and turn them into Cainchildren.

 Thousands and even millions of years ago, there may have been strict religious dogma among Cainchildren,  but dogma no longer exists very much in Cainchild religion or philosophy. Dogma exists elsewhere for Cainchildren. The Cainchildren are the oldest continuous culture in existence, and apparently evolved on (dreamworld) Earth. The dreamworld Earth has no more than approximately 8,000 Cainchildren, many of them millions of years old. A few are far, far, far older. Talk of other planets inhabited by Cainchild colonists from dreamworld Earth may only be banter — there remain countless aspects of their culture and activities about which I have not been briefed, and about which I do not necessarily expect to be briefed at a future time. Even the spycraft of the Mossad is, compared to the work of Cainchildren, the flailing of an anencephalic infant. Of course, the head of the Mossad may for all I know be a Cainchild.

 The Cainchildren have a technologically advanced civilization with connections to many, many human cultures, and use their own traditions to keep an incredibly tight lid on population growth. Unless beheaded, impaled through the heart, or poisoned, they do not die. When death occurs, it is likely a happy and very carefully considered elective euthanasia (usually together with others), or a severe accident, or a natural disaster. Violence does happen among them, but is usually precluded or severely limited by the various social safeguards. In extreme cases, a court can authorize a supervised duel between individuals. In other cases, the police may be deployed or a family may deploy a portion of its (small) army. More likely, there can be a situation in which humans act as a Cainchild family’s agents against other humans manipulated by a rival Cainchild family.

Each clan family, each subfamily, each professional or semi-proffesional guild, each organization of any consequence whatsoever, has people carefully selected to fill specific posts and hold particular duties, and in each you will find a designated oversight person for guild/family/business secrets. To a Cainchild, the distinction between a guild, a family, and a business is purely academic. Some cannot even comprehend any such difference being possible. The secret-keeper essentially undertakes to ensure that, as and when the head of household decides who can know which secrets, the determination of the head of household is actualized. He or she is answerable to the head of household and maintains a control ledger relating to the dispersal of secrets, inspected for consistency with instructions received. There is another category of secrets that are never to be written down, only kept in memory. There are deathbed procedures to release final allotments of secrets to surviving family members. The Cainchildren are experts in memory skills, and go to extreme lengths to start early in educating people about mental skills as early as possible and as rigorously as possible. In this instruction they use sophisticated measures — nootropics, guided meditation, biofeedback, virtual reality, trans-cranial magnetic stimulation, and other techniques. In initial stages, when dealing with inexperienced individuals, they may occasionally be willing to use drugs to help establish instructional trance states. Due to their (qualified) (partial) dependence on human blood, they fear drug dependencies either in themselves or in any human they might drink from. On the subject of full-blooded children versus the (extremely rare) ex-humans who get turned, who were not born of Cainchild parents on both sides — more later.

In the the event of anything that approaches serious willful infraction or disobedience in Cainchild society, a party found guilty will have his intricate tattoos scorched off with acid (both tattoos in infrared ink and those reflecting visible light, if he has any of the latter).The offender’s vocal chords are scorched away and cauterized with chemicals to prevent the Cainchild's special stem cells from causing them to regrow. Not only will his fangs be forcibly everted with a tool and drilled out, but they will remove all his teeth. If he is of noble blood, nothing even vaguely resembling his fang scrimshawing and fang artwork must ever be used again, the artist’s working copy from when the work was done will be added to the “expurgated list.” They will brand the offender with heated chains on which are mounted family gem sigils of the type reserved for punishment. They will transfuse all the offender's blood with blood taken from humans, causing perhaps millennia of agonizing organ failure before the offender will, finally, experience permanent death. The blood used for punishments or for blood tastings at feasts usually comes from human sexual offenders against other humans, as the Cainchildren have an apoplectic loathing for this offense. My otherworld fiancee has an honor vendetta against several human warlords in Liberia, because such a man (or actually one of his forebears) attempted to turn a very young Cainchild into a child soldier. In the otherworld, I have deployed with her to help her kill some these individuals. Sometimes Cainchild women will pose as easy victims for violent human offenders, so as to trap and exsanguinate them until they die. However, contrary to some human accounts, the Cainchildren do not usually go so far as to kill or injure any human being. Killing or serious injury to humans is usually viewed as not only immoral, but as an endangerment of operational security of the whole Cainchild civilization, and the guilty Cainchild may vary well end up mukaryi.

 After the mechanical transfusion of human blood into the body of the offender Cainchild, they will impale the offender vertically through the centerline of the body. Over the entire period of life left to the offender, the offender is systematically vivisected, and vivisected parts are allowed to grow back so they can once again be vivisected. This happens many times to mukaryi — then mukaryi finally dies. At no time does anyone speak to mukaryi, look directly at mukaryi, touch mukaryi with anything other than mechanical implements, or use anything resembling mukaryi’s name ever again, for any purpose.

There are some fifty offenses which, if committed, result in one becoming mukaryi. In their culture, you start getting briefed on these offenses from the moment you can talk and understand words. They are posted in every one of their underground public spaces — much as the instructions in public spaces in Norway forbid surrender to any invader for any reason.  Meetings start with a recitation, and they end with a recitation. They are in the scriptures and they are usually tattooed on the body. If a human becomes a Knower (about Cainchildren), he has to learn about these rules. As and when Cainchildren may (rarely) invite such a human to draw closer to them or be adopted as an honorary Cainchild, he has to learn more and more of the rules and has to follow them. Thus, when I go to the dreamworld, I don’t tell other dream beings anything about the Cainchildren unless those beings have been cleared. If I see a Cainchild who’s not in my adoptive family, I don’t tell him compartmented information that he’s not cleared for. In the case of my fiancee's family, the secret-keeper is her uncle. When we bud off by starting our own new family (yes, terminology from horticulture) my fiancee will become our new family’s secret-keeper.

The rules don’t forbid me from telling you about Cainchildren, because … as far as we know … this is not the dreamworld. And if it is … it’s not the same dreamworld I go to when I sleep. You live here. Thus, it would not be possible for you to kill my dreamworld family and friends by discussing these matters with bigoted humans in the dreamworld. Clearly, though they are not my family in this real-world universe we live in here, they are still my family. Now, if anybody from this conlang list had a dream avatar of himself or herself that happened to visit the dreamworld I go to, and if that avatar blabbed about what they had learned from me on this list …

You wouldn’t like my fiancee when she’s angry. I do. But you would assuredly not.

> Does the acute accent mark stress?

Yes.

Tell you more about their sexuality and their erotica? How do I know I won’t offend someone on this list? Humans have different mores than do w- I mean, compared to Cainchildren.  Many of them spend incredibly long periods thinking about how they would like to reproduce if they got a license. It is not unusual to spend a lot of time planning every detail of what they will do when they lie with their beloved. They have a plethora of words and concepts to describe this art in awe-inspiring detail. Most of them never get a license to lie with someone, let alone conceive a child. This, then, makes them develop complex coping mechanisms and among these are the lovemaking league in which the practice of elective ceremonial voyeurism is a major part of life, subject to the most ironclad rules and the consent of those being watched, with prizes and constructive criticism. Since time immemorial, the Cainchildren have  also had male and female courtesans — licensed, regulated, bonded, with a guild and a code of ethics and many, many rules.

Cainchildren are in no way sexual obsessives, but you will notice, if a human catches a Cainchild and they are about to kill the Cainchild because they’re scared, they tend to reconsider if they find the Cainchild really pretty or handsome. Or, at least, they hesitate, and this allows the victimized Cainchild  to escape. Over prehistory, during the time when there were very few of the Cainchildren, humans eventually killed almost all of the Cainchildren they did not find attractive. Through this selection process imposed by early humans, almost all Cainchildren alive today are extremely striking, to the point that their cover identities among human beings can include ways of making themselves look less attractive.

Except by clever tricks, no human has ever succeeded in touching a hair on a healthy Cainchild without their permission. The speed, reflexes, and experience of the Cainchild are too great. I have seen my beloved defeat nine of her sparring partners in less than a minute even without any weapons, and those sparring partners were  themselves Cainchildren, her own students. She is the leader of what we might call the police tactical unit in Harák City, and Harák City is underground in what we English-speaking humans call “Bosnia.”

 If a human is considered for adoption, but fails the various initiations and tests, the human will be exiled or killed.

For a human to propose marriage to a Cainchild involves an understanding that the person to whom you propose marriage will Embrace you on your wedding night if they accept, and thus you will become a Cainchild. For a human to propose marriage to a Cainchild is to declare and agree a willingness to become a Cainchild by the fang and at the pleasure of your beloved.

If a human betrays his or her fiancee, the human will be killed.

If a human misses his or her 49 nights of premarital counseling, or doesn't do well enough in the courses, the human will be barred from marrying the intended.

Full-blooded vampires have stable marriages and do not fall out of love. There is, for them, no mental construct for these concepts. When we started to fall in love, she warned me, “Humans apparently have this thing called 'cheating on people.' You know what would happen to you, right?"

> What does the apostrophe mark?

Yamakté. Yamakté ku’sh nakasarbeléd lesson kumané loanáe'yhe school, iiy yanar hé loanáe psychotronics nanar eléd. Yavrakavdé isur aspiration yariye’Engeli’yhe.

It’s a tiny pause or ... I think you call it an aspiration. I am not sure because the lesson didn’t teach in terms of your languages, but with manipulatives  and crocheted people and objects and VR mazes and I’m so sorry I don’t remember how to say “crochet” or “virtual reality” or “psychotronics." They have no difference in the word for lesson and school. They do have an alphabetic system, but they don’t always use it and it’s not always easy to transliterate their language. I think they had a strobe or something, and they had us pretty deep in alpha state. They can be pretty severe — at times, the German teachers and the Singaporean teachers ain’t go nothing on them.

The numerals are different and all have to be converted from base five, the numerical operators for math are different. They use a glyph like an addition sign when we would use the period (that is, full stop symbol).

loanáe. Miracle-personification [being]. H. sapiens.

Thanks for your interest!