CONLANG  February 2015, Week 1

CONLANG February 2015, Week 1

Re: Sketch for a new V/N-distinctionless language

J S Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 2015 13:13:51 -0500

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:45:55 -0700, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jeff Jones's Jan24 sketch with its predicate classes has inspired me

I don't know enough about Salish morphosyntax, but will attempt to comment anyway.

>There are only two open lexical classes: verbs, and adverbs. (And
>maybe only one; I'm not sure about the adverbs). Although there are
>nominal phrases, there are no nominal roots.
>Other parts of speech include pronouns, conjunctions, determiners, and
>prepositions.

Which types of adverbs might be open classes?

>There are 12 independent pronouns, which exist only in an oblique
>case, used with ditransitive verbs. These are 1sg. 1pl.inc., 1pl.exc.,
>2sg., 2pl, 3sg, 3pl., 4sg, 4pl, animate interrogative, inanimate
>interrogative, and relative, where the two 4th person pronouns
>indicate obviatives & indefinites- 3p references are always definite.
>
>There are at least four determiners- singular definite, singular
>indefinite, plural definite, and plural indefinite. I might end up
>throwing in possessives as part of the determiner class as well, but
>this will require more thinking. I'm also as yet undecided on how to
>handle quantifiers- a separate part of speech, or part of the
>determiner class?

I usually make quantity words (cardinal numbers and a few other words) a separate class. The universal, existential, and nullar quantifiers typically function as determiners (in my conlangs), but preclude other quantity words.

>There are only 2 prepositions- one for clausal adjuncts, and one for
>adnominals. Their precise meaning in any particular case must be
>gleaned from context.
>
>Verbs come in transitive and intransitive varieties, with polypersonal
>agreement. Not sure yet how I want to arrange the agreement affixes-
>either fusional suffixes, or subject prefix / object suffix. Either
>way, transitive verbs will have two de-transitivizing derivations- a
>passive (removing the subject), and an antipassive (removing the
>object). There are special conjugations for relativized forms.

In Jan24, I'm using a Null agent prefix for the effect of antipassive and a Null patient suffix for the effect of passive; this is probably unusual, but it reduces the number of derivations. Jan24 doesn't distinguish relativized forms except by syntax.

>Verbs also contain a direct/inverse marker, with a very simple animacy
>hierarchy based on grammatical person. I.e., "1p subject, 2p object"
>is not distinguished in the agreement system from "2p subject, 1p
>object", because 1p is higher on the animacy hierarchy than 2p; the
>situations are instead distinguished by the direct/inverse marker.
>Unlike your typical direct/inverse language, I'm thinking I might
>throw in an explicit reciprocal state as well.

Of course, with a direct/inverse system, you must have normal single-headed verbs.
I like the reciprocal state. In Jan24, I have to use a separate reciprocal affix.

>Up to two (for a transitive verb) unmarked nominal phrases can follow
>a conjugated verb, but only in third or fourth person. I.e., you can't
>have explicit pronouns or nominal phrases for 1p and 2p core
>arguments- they are only indicated by verb affixes. 3/4p nominal
>phrases are created simply by placing a determiner prior to a
>subordinate clause.
>If there's one 3p and 1 4p argument, the usual animacy mechanism
>applies. With two of each, the situation is ambiguous, and two
>conjoined clauses are required to explicitly resolve the ambiguity.

How do the 2 conjoined clauses work?

>Typically, however, in running discourse, one referent will have a
>higher expected animacy than the other, and the usual direct/inverse
>marking is used to manage your *expectations* of relative argument
>animacy/agency.
>
>Any number of oblique phrases can also be added, which are either
>oblique pronouns, or nominal phrases preceded by the preposition for
>clausal adjuncts.
>
>Three other methods exist for altering the argument structure of
>verbs: applicatives, lexical affixes, and object incorporation.
>
>Applicatives are prefixes which add a requirement for an oblique
>argument filling a particular role. If there's more than one oblique
>argument, it's still up to pragmatics to decide which one is filling
>which role, but if there's just one, and the verb has an applicative,
>then the applicative tells you exactly what that oblique argument is
>doing.

That's an interesting way to do it; I thought that applicatives gave the direct object oblique (instrumental, beneficiary, etc.) semantics?

>Lexical affixes are leftovers from a prior stage of the language which
>had more wide-ranging object incorporation options. These are bound
>morphemes which get suffixed to the verb root in place of an oblique
>argument. Some conventionalized irregular forms will have an apparent
>lexical circumfix, consisting of an applicative prefix ad a lexical
>suffix together. This is, however, unproductive; in general,
>applicatives must refer to external oblique arguments.
>
>Object incorporation only works with object phrases built out of
>basically intransitive verb roots. A special combining form of an
>intransitive root can be suffixed to a verb stem (after a lexical
>suffix, before agreement suffixes) to indicate an indefinite 4p
>(lowest rung on the animacy hierarchy) argument. This works with both
>transitive (turning them intransitive) verbs and intransitive (turning
>them null-transitive) verbs.

This solves one of my problems with verbs incorporating verbs: limiting incorporated verbs to intransitive and also limiting incorporating verbs to transitive.

>1. I *like* /T/, gosh darn it!
>2. The rest of the phonology pulls this pretty far away from English,
>so this can be forgiven, I think.
>3. I need it to balance out the relatively large phonemic stop inventory.
>
>There are four basic vowels:
>a - /a/
>e - /E/
>o - /A/
>u - /M/

I don't have a problem with /T/. No /i/ seems to be very unusual.

Jeff