CONLANG  February 2015, Week 1

CONLANG February 2015, Week 1

Re: Sketch for a new V/N-distinctionless language

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 2015 12:15:38 -0700

On 6 February 2015 at 11:13, J S Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 12:45:55 -0700, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Jones's Jan24 sketch with its predicate classes has inspired me
>
> I don't know enough about Salish morphosyntax, but will attempt to comment anyway.
>
>>There are only two open lexical classes: verbs, and adverbs. (And
>>maybe only one; I'm not sure about the adverbs). Although there are
>>nominal phrases, there are no nominal roots.
>>Other parts of speech include pronouns, conjunctions, determiners, and
>>prepositions.
>
> Which types of adverbs might be open classes?

All or none, really. There will be a slot for adverbs, used to specify
things like tense, aspect, mood, manner, etc. The question is whether
there should just be a closed class of essentially TAM + a few manner
particles, with everything else handled by obliques & lexical verb
choice, or whether I should have a derivational mechanism that allows
for producing arbitrary new adverbs.

>>There are 12 independent pronouns, which exist only in an oblique
>>case, used with ditransitive verbs. These are 1sg. 1pl.inc., 1pl.exc.,
>>2sg., 2pl, 3sg, 3pl., 4sg, 4pl, animate interrogative, inanimate
>>interrogative, and relative, where the two 4th person pronouns
>>indicate obviatives & indefinites- 3p references are always definite.
>>
>>There are at least four determiners- singular definite, singular
>>indefinite, plural definite, and plural indefinite. I might end up
>>throwing in possessives as part of the determiner class as well, but
>>this will require more thinking. I'm also as yet undecided on how to
>>handle quantifiers- a separate part of speech, or part of the
>>determiner class?
>
> I usually make quantity words (cardinal numbers and a few other words) a separate class. The universal, existential, and nullar quantifiers typically function as determiners (in my conlangs), but preclude other quantity words.

Numbers (aside from one and zero) I'm thinking are going to end up as verbs.

>>There are only 2 prepositions- one for clausal adjuncts, and one for
>>adnominals. Their precise meaning in any particular case must be
>>gleaned from context.
>>
>>Verbs come in transitive and intransitive varieties, with polypersonal
>>agreement. Not sure yet how I want to arrange the agreement affixes-
>>either fusional suffixes, or subject prefix / object suffix. Either
>>way, transitive verbs will have two de-transitivizing derivations- a
>>passive (removing the subject), and an antipassive (removing the
>>object). There are special conjugations for relativized forms.
>
> In Jan24, I'm using a Null agent prefix for the effect of antipassive and a Null patient suffix for the effect of passive; this is probably unusual, but it reduces the number of derivations. Jan24 doesn't distinguish relativized forms except by syntax.

That would work for me if I end up going with separate subject and
object affixes, but not so much if conjugations are fusional. The
Salishan languages I have read papers about all seem to have an
explicit de-transitivizer, so I expect I'll be keeping that no matter
what I decide to do for the agreement affixes.
As for relativized forms, I don't think this sketch has enough syntax
available to dedicate any of it to disambiguating relatives.
Morphology all the way!

>>Up to two (for a transitive verb) unmarked nominal phrases can follow
>>a conjugated verb, but only in third or fourth person. I.e., you can't
>>have explicit pronouns or nominal phrases for 1p and 2p core
>>arguments- they are only indicated by verb affixes. 3/4p nominal
>>phrases are created simply by placing a determiner prior to a
>>subordinate clause.
>>If there's one 3p and 1 4p argument, the usual animacy mechanism
>>applies. With two of each, the situation is ambiguous, and two
>>conjoined clauses are required to explicitly resolve the ambiguity.
>
> How do the 2 conjoined clauses work?

One is passivized, the other is antipassivized.
Thus, "Kick-3-3 Bob Alice" can be disambiguated as "Kick-3-0 Bob and
kick-0-3 Alice" ("Bob kicked and Alice was kicked").
Some Salishan languages actually completely disallow multiple 3rd
person arguments to a single clause, precisely to avoid this kind of
ambiguity. But since reading the description of Sierra Popoluca's
"direct" (in Wikipedia's terms) alignment system, which marks *no*
arguments at all, I figure it can be made to work. There's just a very
high load placed on discourse context.

>>Typically, however, in running discourse, one referent will have a
>>higher expected animacy than the other, and the usual direct/inverse
>>marking is used to manage your *expectations* of relative argument
>>animacy/agency.
>>
>>Any number of oblique phrases can also be added, which are either
>>oblique pronouns, or nominal phrases preceded by the preposition for
>>clausal adjuncts.
>>
>>Three other methods exist for altering the argument structure of
>>verbs: applicatives, lexical affixes, and object incorporation.
>>
>>Applicatives are prefixes which add a requirement for an oblique
>>argument filling a particular role. If there's more than one oblique
>>argument, it's still up to pragmatics to decide which one is filling
>>which role, but if there's just one, and the verb has an applicative,
>>then the applicative tells you exactly what that oblique argument is
>>doing.
>
> That's an interesting way to do it; I thought that applicatives gave the direct object oblique (instrumental, beneficiary, etc.) semantics?

That can be the case (promote an oblique to a core argument, and
demote the original core argument), but applicatives in general are
just about promoting obliques to core arguments. Most of the time,
they are valency-increasing operations, like causatives.

>>1. I *like* /T/, gosh darn it!
>>2. The rest of the phonology pulls this pretty far away from English,
>>so this can be forgiven, I think.
>>3. I need it to balance out the relatively large phonemic stop inventory.
>>
>>There are four basic vowels:
>>a - /a/
>>e - /E/
>>o - /A/
>>u - /M/
>
> I don't have a problem with /T/. No /i/ seems to be very unusual.

The unusualness of no /i/ was my main motivation for introducing a
"Great Vowel Shift"-esque alteration in the long vowels. Note
particularly the long rounded /E/ (/99/) becoming /Y:/. It's not quite
an /i/, but its moving into that vowel space. Further evolution to
turn /Y:/ into /i/ could produce a rather interesting situation where
/i/ is treated as an honorary rounded vowel in the phonotactics... but
I'm thinking the distinctiveness of lacking a proper /i/ is more
interesting just now.

-l.