Help for TEI-L Archives

TEI-L Archives

TEI-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

TEI-L Home

TEI-L  March 2015

TEI-L March 2015

Re: Unusual features of the EEBO TEI header

Paul Schaffner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Mar 2015 20:13:34 -0400

Stuart,

> I was reusing an EEBO TEI file as a template for another context and I
> noticed a couple of unusual features. I'm not sure whether these are
> design features or accidents of history

I think you're probably best regarding them as accidents
of history. Bear in mind that Sebastian's P5 version of the
TCP files in not intended (I think he would agree) as a
model of P5 design, but rather as an acceptable derivative
version of the underlying files that does the best it can
with some fundamental incompatabilities. The native form
of the TCP files is of course headerless P3-ish SGML. The
native form of the information in the P5 headers is MARC
munged with some external information, transmitted via
two intermediaries (MARCxml and a P4 header).

"Headerless" because we followed, and still follow, the
old practice of producing transcriptions and headers
via different processes, workflows, and personnel, and
only occasionally mating them for public consumption.

> My working example (picked at random) is
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/textcreationpartnership/A00005/master/A00005.xml
>
> *) The primary identifier within the XML-based system is A00005, but
> there is no xml:id="A00005" or similar easily XSLT-matchable attribute
> (I was expecting to see it on the root element).

This doubtless *could* be implemented. In the underlying
files the ID is stored in two places, once in the header
and once in the transcription.

In the SGML transcription it lives in a local tag
called IDG (ID Group) which stores all of the relevant
ID numbers and is supplied as a unit to the keyers who
are instructed to insert it at the head of the file.
Looks like this, complete with (SGML) ID:

<IDG S="marc" R="UM" ID="A00005">
<STC T="S">10000</STC>
<BIBNO T="umi">99842408</BIBNO>
<VID>7058</VID>
</IDG>

In the P4 headers (which are used by our online
index-and-retrieval system), the root ID
appears as the value of the <IDNO with @type="DLPS"
(DLPS is our local library unit; the system is hard-wired
to look for that element and attribute pair), thus:

<IDNO TYPE="DLPS">A00005</IDNO>

The transform to P5 has either or both of these at its
disposal (and indeed has the filename itself, which
will also serve) and therefore *could* insert it as
an xml:id.

> *) There is a complete lack of xml:id  / id tags

Where exactly did you hope to find them?  In the
transcriptions or in the headers. The underlying
SGML of the transcriptions uses (SGML) IDs only in
the rare books in which we employ pointers (REF and PTR).
I imagine that these are converted to xml:ids in the P5
but have not checked. They appear in only a handful of books.
As for xml:ids in the headers, are there any in
particular that you hoped to see?

> *) There is no xml:lang tag covering the textual content in the header

Why would you want one and what would it be?
More importantly, where would that information
come from? Remember, the information in the header
is generated directly from the MARC records, which
contain no provision for labeling (say) the title
as Welsh, the imprint as Latin, and the notes as
English.  There is no information in the header that
was not either imput by the original library cataloguer,
generated from the file, or batch added from our
tracking database.

> *) The <availability/> tag has a license URL, but doesn't use the
> <licence/> tag as the container for it. This is a significant barrier
> to automated license detection and thus automated reuse.

Sebastian can answer that one.

> *) The <language> tag and xml:lang both use three letter language
> codes (I believe that http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47 forces us to
> prefer two letter language codes where available)

The TCP encoding guidelines predate XML, use the TEI recommendation
of their time (three-letter codes), and are moreover created
in a library context, in which use of the MARC 3-letter language
codes is standard. Conversion is, however, as you say, relatively
trivial.

> *) The textual content of the header contains a LOT of proper nouns
> with corresponding websites, but none are linked using <name/> or
> similar.

The TCP schema does not even include <name>. And the
information sources from which the header is derived
do not (for the most part) distinguish names from any
other identifying string. So it would require some
degree of intervention to add this information to the
P5 headers -- much more, of course, to the transcriptions
themselves, which are likewise nameless.

Paul

Samples..

If you want to look at the source files, they can
be found on Box.com, here:

Evans
> https://umich.box.com/s/vael0mzdioctraixuglh

EEBO phase 1
> https://umich.box.com/s/nfdp6hz228qtbl2hwhhb

ECCO
> https://umich.box.com/s/7dc9b3b0f859a6b36bc2

And this is the underlying form of the information
found in the header of A00005, the file that you mentioned
(here displayed in MARCedit text format), where as
you see the root ID is stored in true MARC form as
the value of the 001 field, as well as a redundant
035. For MARC people, this is all pretty standard except
perhaps the use of the 583 action note to store revision
history.

=LDR  02379nam  2200385   4500
=001  A00005
=003  TCP
=005  19960925152906.0
=006  m\\\\g\\\d\\\\\\\\
=007  cr\bn\|||a|bb|
=008  910508s1515\\\\enk\\\\\s\\\\\00|\|\eng\d
=035  \\$a(TCP)A00005
=035  \\$a(STC)10000
=035  \\$a(ESTC)S106695
=035  \\$a(BIBNO)99842408
=035  \\$a(UnM)99842408
=035  \\$a(VID)7058
=040  \\$aCu-RivES$cCu-RivES$dCStRLIN$edcrb$dWaOLN
=130  0\$aSaint Albans chronicle.
=245  10$aHere begynneth a shorte and abreue table on the Cronycles
...$h[electronic resource]
=246  2\$aHere begynneth a shorte and abreve table on the cronycles.
=246  2\$aIn soo moche that it is necessary to all creatures of crysten
relygyon, or of false relygyon.
=260  \\$a[Enprynted at Londo[n] :$bIn powlys chyrche yarde at the west
dore of powlys besyde my lorde of londons palays by me Iulyan
Notary,$cIn the yere of our lorde god. M.CCCCC.xv. [1515]]
=300  \\$a[2], Cxxviii, [16] leaves :$bill. (woodcuts)
=500  \\$aKnown as "The Saint Albans chronicle"; not the same
compilation as the "Chronicles of England" first printed by Caxton (STC
9991-4).
=500  \\$aTitle from opening words of text, pi1v.
=500  \\$aImprint from colophon.
=500  \\$aText commences on leaf i: In soo moche that it is necessary to
all creatures of crysten relygyon, or of false relygyon ..
=500  \\$aIncludes "The dyscrypcyon of Englonde", an excerpt from:
Higden, Ranulf.  Polycronicon.
=500  \\$aThe first page contains woodcuts with ornamenal border. The
bottom border contains Maltese crosses, thus the first quire is
sometimes said to be signed with a cross.
=500  \\$aReproduction of the original in the British Library.
=510  4\$aSTC (2nd ed.)$c10000.
=516  \\$aMarked-up text.
=530  \\$aIssued variously as SGML (TCP schema; ASCII text with mnemonic
sdata character entities); displayable XML (TCP schema; characters
represented either as UTF-8 Unicode or text strings within braces); or
lossless XML (TEI P5, characters represented either as UTF-8 Unicode or
TEI g elements).
=533  \\$aElectronic reproduction.$bAnn Arbor, MI ; Oxford (UK) :$cText
Creation Partnership,$d2007-01 (EEBO-TCP Phase 1).$eApprox. 1401 KB of
XML-encoded text transcribed from 151 1-bit group-IV TIFF page
images.$f(EEBO-TCP ; phase 1, no. A00005)$nTranscribed from: (Early
English Books Online ; image set 7058)$nImages scanned from microfilm:
(Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 4:1)$7s2007    miu  s
=540  \\$aThis keyboarded and encoded edition of the work described
above is co-owned by the institutions providing financial support to the
Early English Books Online Text Creation Partnership. Searching,
reading, printing, or downloading EEBO-TCP texts is reserved for the
authorized users of these project partner institutions. Permission must
be granted for subsequent distribution, in print or electronically, of
this text, in whole or in part. Please contact project staff at
[log in to unmask] for further information or permissions.
=556  \\$aKeying and markup guidelines available at TCP web site
(http://www.textcreationpartnership.org/docs/)
=567  \\$aManually keyed and coded text linked to page images in
accordance with level 4 of the TEI in Libraries guidelines.
=583  \\$aAssigned for keying and markup$bADAT$c2005-11$iTCP
specs$uhttp://www.textcreationpartnership.org/docs/
=583  \\$aKeyed and coded from ProQuest page images$bVDAT$c2006-04$kSPi
Global
=583  \\$aSampled and proofread$bPDAT$c2006-06$jUniversity of Michigan
Library$kMona Logarbo$lAccepted
=583  \\$aText and markup reviewed and edited$bRDAT$c2006-06$jUniversity
of Michigan Library$kMona Logarbo
=583  \\$aBatch review (QC) and XML
conversion$bDDAT$c2006-09$jUniversity of Michigan Library$kpfs
=651  \4$aGreat Britain$xHistory$yTo 1485$vEarly works to 1800.
=651  \4$aEngland$xDescription and travel$vEarly works to 1800.
=700  1\$aHigden, Ranulf,$dd. 1364.$tPolycronicon. English. Selections.
=700  1\$aTrevisa, John,$dd. 1402.
=730  0\$aPolycronicon.$lEnglish.$kSelections.
=830  \0$aEarly English books online text creation partnership.
=856
40$uhttp://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&res_id=xri:eebo&rft_val_fmt=&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:7058
=856  40$uhttp://name.umdl.umich.edu/A00005.0001.001

And this is the same info as it reached Sebastian,
viz., in the form of a P4 header:

<HEADER><FILEDESC>
<TITLESTMT>
<TITLE TYPE="245" I2="0">Here begynneth a shorte and abreue table on the
Cronycles ...</TITLE>
<TITLE TYPE="alt" I2=" ">Saint Albans chronicle.</TITLE>
</TITLESTMT>
<EXTENT>Approx. 1401 KB of XML-encoded text transcribed from 151 1-bit
group-IV TIFF page images.</EXTENT>
<PUBLICATIONSTMT>
<PUBPLACE>Ann Arbor, MI ; Oxford (UK) :</PUBPLACE>
<PUBLISHER>Text Creation Partnership,</PUBLISHER>
<DATE>2007-01 (EEBO-TCP Phase 1).</DATE>

<IDNO TYPE="DLPS">A00005</IDNO>
<IDNO TYPE="stc">STC 10000</IDNO>
<IDNO TYPE="stc">ESTC S106695</IDNO>
<IDNO TYPE="eebo citation">99842408</IDNO>
<IDNO TYPE="proquest">99842408</IDNO>
<IDNO TYPE="vid">7058</IDNO>

<AVAILABILITY><P>This keyboarded and encoded edition of
the work described above is co-owned by the institutions
providing financial support to the Early English Books
Online Text Creation Partnership. Searching, reading,
printing, or downloading EEBO-TCP texts is reserved
for the authorized users of these project partner
institutions. Permission must be granted for subsequent
distribution, in print or electronically, of this text,
in whole or in part.  Please contact project staff at
[log in to unmask] for further information or permissions.</P>
</AVAILABILITY></PUBLICATIONSTMT>
<SERIESSTMT>
<TITLE>Early English books online.</TITLE>
</SERIESSTMT><NOTESSTMT><NOTE>(EEBO-TCP ; phase 1, no. A00005)</NOTE>
<NOTE>Transcribed from: (Early English Books Online ; image set
7058)</NOTE>
<NOTE>Images scanned from microfilm: (Early English books, 1475-1640 ;
4:1)</NOTE>
</NOTESSTMT>
<SOURCEDESC>
<BIBLFULL>
<TITLESTMT>
<TITLE TYPE="245" I2="0">Here begynneth a shorte and abreue table on the
Cronycles ...</TITLE>
<TITLE TYPE="alt" I2=" ">Saint Albans chronicle.</TITLE>
<AUTHOR>Higden, Ranulf, d. 1364. Polycronicon. English.
Selections.</AUTHOR>
<AUTHOR>Trevisa, John, d. 1402.</AUTHOR>
</TITLESTMT>
<EXTENT>[2], Cxxviii, [16] leaves : ill. (woodcuts)  </EXTENT>
<PUBLICATIONSTMT>
<PUBPLACE>[Enprynted at Londo[n] :</PUBPLACE>
<PUBLISHER>In powlys chyrche yarde at the west dore of powlys besyde my
lorde of londons palays by me Iulyan Notary,</PUBLISHER>
<DATE>In the yere of our lorde god. M.CCCCC.xv. [1515]]</DATE>
</PUBLICATIONSTMT>
<NOTESSTMT>
<NOTE>Known as "The Saint Albans chronicle"; not the same compilation as
the "Chronicles of England" first printed by Caxton (STC 9991-4).</NOTE>
<NOTE>Title from opening words of text, pi1v.</NOTE>
<NOTE>Imprint from colophon.</NOTE>
<NOTE>Text commences on leaf i: In soo moche that it is necessary to all
creatures of crysten relygyon, or of false relygyon ..</NOTE>
<NOTE>Includes "The dyscrypcyon of Englonde", an excerpt from: Higden,
Ranulf.  Polycronicon.</NOTE>
<NOTE>The first page contains woodcuts with ornamenal border. The bottom
border contains Maltese crosses, thus the first quire is sometimes said
to be signed with a cross.</NOTE>
<NOTE>Reproduction of the original in the British Library.</NOTE>
</NOTESSTMT>
</BIBLFULL>
</SOURCEDESC>
</FILEDESC>
<ENCODINGDESC>
<PROJECTDESC>
<P>Header created with script mrcb2eeboutf.xsl on 2014-03-05.</P>
</PROJECTDESC>
<EDITORIALDECL N="4"><P>Manually keyed and coded text linked to page
images in accordance with level 4 of the TEI in Libraries
guidelines.</P>
<P>Issued variously as SGML (TCP schema; ASCII text with mnemonic sdata
character entities); displayable XML (TCP schema; characters represented
either as UTF-8 Unicode or text strings within braces); or lossless XML
(TEI P5, characters represented either as UTF-8 Unicode or TEI g
elements).</P>
<P>Keying and markup guidelines available at TCP web site
(http://www.textcreationpartnership.org/docs/)</P>
</EDITORIALDECL>
</ENCODINGDESC>
<PROFILEDESC>
<LANGUSAGE ID="eng">
<LANGUAGE>eng</LANGUAGE></LANGUSAGE>
<TEXTCLASS>
<KEYWORDS><TERM>Great Britain --  History --  To 1485 --  Early works to
1800.</TERM>
<TERM>England --  Description and travel --  Early works to 1800.</TERM>
</KEYWORDS>
</TEXTCLASS>
</PROFILEDESC>
<REVISIONDESC>
<CHANGE><DATE>2005-11</DATE><RESPSTMT><RESP>TCP</RESP></RESPSTMT><ITEM>Assigned
for keying and markup</ITEM></CHANGE>
<CHANGE><DATE>2006-04</DATE><RESPSTMT><RESP>SPi
Global</RESP></RESPSTMT><ITEM>Keyed and coded from ProQuest page
images</ITEM></CHANGE>
<CHANGE><DATE>2006-06</DATE><RESPSTMT><RESP>Mona
Logarbo</RESP></RESPSTMT><ITEM>Sampled and proofread</ITEM></CHANGE>
<CHANGE><DATE>2006-06</DATE><RESPSTMT><RESP>Mona
Logarbo</RESP></RESPSTMT><ITEM>Text and markup reviewed and
edited</ITEM></CHANGE>
<CHANGE><DATE>2006-09</DATE><RESPSTMT><RESP>pfs</RESP></RESPSTMT><ITEM>Batch
review (QC) and XML conversion</ITEM></CHANGE>
</REVISIONDESC>
</HEADER>

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/