CONLANG  March 2015, Week 3

CONLANG March 2015, Week 3

Re: The (nearly) Complete Phonology of Celimine

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:54:04 -0600

On 19 March 2015 at 08:37, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:16:12 -0600, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I have finally finished codifying all of Celimine phonology in one
>>concise document!
> [...]
>>'Tis all written down in a publically accessible Google Doc at
>>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1skN4XtqRDRESOP37SbzOm69Lyv5ntYle7YTin0S3i3c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>Comments (either in the doc or on the list) are welcome.
>
> So of course I can't look at a thing like this without the historical-justification impulse kicking in.  And the hypothesis that jumps soonest to my mind is a history backwards from Irish.  In Irish, the palatality feature spread from vowels to preceding consonants (though the spelling makes it look like it went both ways).  In Celyminej it looks like it could've been the other way round: consonants had a palatality feature all along where vowels did not, and vowels acquired frontness from the nearby consonants.  This would explain a few things.  The first is why the vowels come in such nice front-back pairs: perhaps proto-Cel. had a vertical four-vowel system (just like Marshallese!).  The second is why clusters block harmony: the historic spread of palatality was in both directions, so that the vowels either side of a single consonant will have gotten coloured the same way, while those either side of a cluster can have had unrelated colourings.

Huh! I read a grammar of Marshallese once, but don't remember much
about it. Checking Wikipedia, it looks like its four vowels match up
reasonably well with Celyminej, and do in fact have front-back
allophony conditioned on surrounding consonants.
I never actually thought about the origin of the harmony rules before
(they've always just *been* there) but this seems to work quite
nicely.

> This implies that sometimes (and probably not rarely) a vowel would have had inconsistent colouring influences from the consonants before and after it.  It's not clear what might've happened to these.  Maybe Cb+V+Cs produced the diphthongs which you now analyse as V+/i/, at least in some circumstances, or the groups that give /&/ (a synchronically neutral vowel?).  Maybe one of the front or back features just won out.  A more precise statement of the harmony rules might help to discern what really happened.

Hm. Vowel-breaking, where a fronted or backed version of an original
vowel is infixed next to it, is one of the synchronic mechanisms for
maintaining harmony under morphological changes, so it would make
sense if something like that happened historically. I'll have to
analyze my lexicon and see if any patterns jump out that I could use
to formulate a rule. If not, I can always play the "conditioning
environment was lost" card; maybe which extra vowels get introduced
depends on the position of lexical stress or something like that,
which has been lost in the modern language.

I had thought of /&/ as a neutral vowel, actually. Synchronically, it
does not want to be phonemic. But in a descendent language, or maybe
in a non-standard dialect (like the one where ns alternate with ls
instead of rs, which has already been posited in the footnotes), I
could easily see /&/ developing as an additional vowel phoneme in
unstressed environments, and then maybe spreading to stressed
environments once its phonemicized.

> Most scenarios break the pattern that alternating VCVCV...CV sequences have harmony, so if that harmony did survive synchronically it must've gotten phonologised fairly early on.  It seems a very fragile rule: cluster simplification happens all the time in languages, and any cluster simplification would break your rule unless analogical reworking is putting in serious overtime.

Yup. And that makes me realize that there are actually two synchronic
situations in which that is a potential problem. Not noticed so far
because, as it just so happens, these problems have never actually
come up in the relatively small Celyminej corpus... but if I'm gonna
keep working on the language and try to eventually "finish" it, they
will need to be addressed.

The problems are liquid reduction and geminate reduction. The two
possible solutions would be to either introduce a vowel epenthesis
rule (which would match up with the currently-posited historical
harmonizing process), or block reduction when it would cause harmon
problems (which would match up with the idea that harmony is actually
a result of feature-spread from different kinds of consonants- if
they're not *actually* the same consonant, they can't deduplicate).

> One odd thing, then, is that _some but not all_ consonants retain palatalised allophones nowadays, and not even in the same environments as each other!  It's a bizarre situation for a loss.  I wonder if all the consonants are actually still palatalised, or more of them at least forming series in a more logical way, and the ones you've listed are rather the ones strongerly affected, e.g. /s z/ in slender environments are maybe laminal rather than apical, and /k g/ are maybe slightly affricatey [c(C) J\(j\)].

That is quite possible. I know, for example, that l and r do actually
have different phonetic realizations, corresponding to the same "dark
l"/"light l" allophony we have in English. But at the time I invented
Celyminej, I was not even aware of English l-allophony, having never
taken a phonology class! So, those kinds of things that just seemed
"natural" and "obvious" never made it into notes. I have added a
footnote to remind me to try filling these things out later.

The oddest thing *to me* about the allophone rules is that /s/ goes to
/S/ in broad, back-vowel environments, instead of the other way
around. In the real world, that's strictly due to the fact that in 5th
grade I had no clue what the phonetic justification for /s/-/S/
allophony was, so I just picked something that I found aesthetically
pleasing. In terms of internal history, I'm still trying to figure out
a good, plausible explanation for that. Maybe /S/ is the historical
phoneme, which actually gets turned into /s/ instead of the other way
around. That would explain why /z/ patterns differently.

> One could also try to put lenition and eclipsis in the above story: for instance, if there was a pervasive singleton-geminate contrast before lenition it could've produced intervocalic C that don't show the effects of lenition afterwards; and maybe eclipsis never broke the harmony rules on account of proto-Cel. nasal assimilation in clusters.

Huh. That's a darn good idea. It would also explain why there are no
geminate stops in roots in the modern language- for sonorants, the
geminate/singleton contrast is preserved in syllabification, but
geminate proto-stops turned into synchronic singleton stops while
singleton proto-stops turned into fricatives.

> But what's hard to swallow about Cel. lenition is independent of any of the above.  It's the idea that lenited /l/ and /r/ devoice!  That's utterly incomprehensible as the outcome of intervocalic position; it's a pretty unmistakable relic of a naive "add <h> and try to read the result" rule.  (One could almost envision that in an early group */zr/, the /r/ might've been transparent when /z/ > /h/ happened, and then /z/ was lost before /r/, leaving /r/ : /hr/ ... but that's a stretch.  Unless /r l/ used to be banned from initial position and it was only this loss that introduced them?)

Yes, it is. At one point it was more reasonably explained by 'h' being
a breathy-voice / devoicing feature on vowels. As foot-noted, though,
I got rid of that idea, and lenited r/l got left in the cold. I'm not
sure if I'll ever revive that for proto-Cel or not.

There are a small number of words in the language that actually still
start with "sr" and "sl". If there weren't, the sibilant-loss
hypothesis would be a slam dunk. On the other hand, it looks like
there are actually *no* words that start with "z" (making the
synchronic lenition and eclipses rules for "z" kind of pointless...)!
If /s/ and /z/ already pattern differently anyway, this could totally
work.

> In historical Irish, what happens when words with lenited initials get into the language, e.g. by borrowing, is that they are reshaped by de-leniting in the base form.  See for instance http://bwpl.unibuc.ro/uploads_ro/812/BWPL_2010_nr_2_Chudak.pdf .  Absent significant differences in the function of lenition (or a historical source of non-sibilant fricative initial words), I'd expect Celyminej to feel the same force on it.  The prothetic /A/ is neat but I wouldn't expect it to survive unless there were a whole lot of words with the relevant initials from the earliest days -- and where did they come from?

The idea there is that proto-Cel actually did already have the full
series of fricatives before lenition became a thing. Analogically
fortifying all of its own native fricative-initial words after
lenition is introduced seems like a stretch. Once lenition starts, it
results in a displaced contrast which allows dropping certain vowels
*sometimes*, but it can't apply everywhere, so you don't get the
displaced contrast everywhere, so in those cases you keep the vowel.

I'm imagining that there's actually quite a lot of vowel loss between
modern Celyminej and proto-Cel, which explains why the syllable
structure is as complex as it is (even though it's not *that* complex,
really) and why there're things like initial liaison consonants (they
used to be internal codas, and prior vowels were lost). Some of that
vowel loss is made up for by the introduction of harmony vowels, but
you still see a little bit of it happening with cross-word vowel
deduplication and non-phonemic vowel merging.

> And an actual error: in your list of cases you have been inconsistent about whether items between slashes are orthographic or IPA representations.  One rule mentions /é/ while others invoke /ɑ/ and /ʊ/.

Ah, good catch. Fixed that.

Incidentally, since I sent that first message I managed to work out
what the syllable structure rules were. They are actually not 100%
Englishy, which makes me wonder if this is just coincidental or my
younger self actually did have rules which got lost somewhen...
Anyway, I wrote a simple Python script to go through all the nouns,
verbs, and adjectives in my lexicon and pick out all of the discovered
initial, medial, and final consonant clusters. Then I manually
inspected the medial clusters and figured out where syllable breaks
would have to go to minimize the number of additions to the initial
and final lists. And then I just had to figure out what overall
patterns the initial and final clusters followed, which turned out to
be *surprisingly* simple to do (hence my suspicion that younger me
actually did come up with rules that got lost).

-l.