CONLANG  July 2015, Week 3

CONLANG July 2015, Week 3

Re: statistical naturalism of alphabets

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:27:08 -0400

​MIDDLE-EARTH
Middle-earth is interesting in that we know the most and also the least
about this setting.  We know the most because there are so many texts about
it, some of which claim to be early transmissions.  However, within this
grand mythic tradition we get many contradictions and many layers or
stories.  How many of these texts are Elvish legends and Mannish fables
pressed upon history?  What exactly did Sam's descendants add or change?
Even if we look just at "The Hobbit" and "The Ring Cycle," there are all
sorts of questions about what actually happened.  Is one supposed to take
literally the references to matches, clocks, golf, stone giants, the Wire
Worms of the East (in one version), sentient foxes, Earendil's flying
crystal-powered steampunk ship ...?  (I'm setting aside questions about the
economics and technology of Midgard except where it may actually touch upon
the manner of writing systems).

However, unlike the the other Worlds discussed above, for the first time
we're given substantial texts in ancient language was well as graphic
representation of their writing systems.  So, putting side the question of
how to interpret the historiography of the Middle-earth corpus, it does
seems that we're given some traditions as to the origin of writing.

The Rúmil Tradition
In this tradition one of the Elvish tribes dwelling with the gods develops
an abiguda of sorts based upon phonological principals.  The gods
themselves, though they have their own spoken language, had no need of a
written one.  The first writing system that the Noldor developed was called
Sarati, and this is attributed to the culture hero Rúmil.  In some versions
of this story, the young Prince Fëanor modifies Sarati into the more
regularised Tengwar system.  How much of this, if any, is historically
accurate, I don’t know, but it is interesting that the Elves seemed to have
skipped over the entire logographic step in the development of writing.
Perhaps this can be attributed to the influence of their Immortal teachers.

The Daeron Tradition
In another tradition, writing was invented independently in the forests of
Beleriand.  The Cirth runes, attributed to Daeron (or Dairon), were
intended to be carved, hence their angular look.  The Cirth quickly spread
to the Khazâd peoples and perhaps also to Men, though, since Men seem to
have migrated to Beleriand and to have had their own history before; it is
entirely possibly that they brought with them the remnants of some other
writing system, or at least some sort of tallying or memory aiding system.
Nevertheless, the Cirth are most certainly alphabetic.

The Pengolodh Tradition
In some stories Pengolodh of Gondolin created or developed runes for the
lost city.  Perhaps these were just a variation of the Cirth, or perhaps
these are just a legend.  Lord Elrond was able to read Gondolin runes upon
weapons brought to him by some Dwarves and an Hobbit, so perhaps these were
once a completely different writing system.

With Middle-earth, it seems that all of the writing systems are alphabetic
or Tengwar-syllablic, and that all writing systems have their origins with
the Elves.

I do have to wonder.  Why ever would the Elves even desire such writing
systems?  Immortal creatures who, according to some traditions, could
consciously change the form of their language, would surely find
logographic writing more practical.  Why were the lore masters like the
culture heroes Rúmil and Fëanor interested in creating a writing system
that could represent the breadth of sounds?  Were they intending to study
the languages of other sentient species, none of which they actually knew
existed yet?  Did they really just want to record the differences between
Noldoli and Teleri Quenya?
And finally, if Elvish civilization really does last for thousands of
years, why did they never develop wood block printing?  Unlike Barsoom,
which has suffered from millions of years of ecological and political
collapse, the Elves supposedly had “three ages” of peace while
Melko/Melco/Melkor was chained in the Undying Lands.  Early printing
techniques would have been an obvious technology to create and spread
throughout Beleriand and later Middle-earth.  The libraries of Gondolin
might have been lost, but surely many of their books should have been
preserved in Elrond’s library and in Gondor.
And even if the Elves never thought about printing, what about the
industrious Dwarves whose culture also seems to have spanned for tens of
thousands of years?  The Dwarves should be master printers.  They never
even had to go through the cuneiform or bone oracle phase -- they were
given a fully developed alphabet from living immortals.
Actually, it seems likely that Oz and Barsoom both had printing ... I’m not
sure about Narnia, though.

So, in conclusion:

Oz: Probably an Alphabet
Narnia: The Charnish Writing System
Barsoom:  Probably a family of logographic writing systems
Middle Earth: Tengwar and Cirth

The only other Classic World to comes to mind is the world of Dune, but
that takes place in the future.  And if Doc Brown has taught me anything,
it’s that the future isn’t written yet.
Speaking of which, I plan on visiting the far future of 2015.  I hear they
have flying cars and hoverboards and all sorts of things.  Opus is back
too!  The land of tomorrow is going to be great!