CONLANG  July 2015, Week 3

CONLANG July 2015, Week 3

Re: Hello, and a newbie question

"B. R. George" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:23:12 -0400

I don't have anything to add on your question, but you have a cool idea and
you got me really curious about how to apply it in more cases, so I hope
you won't object if I ask some other questions. Have you thought at all
about how these different grammatical numbers combine with different kinds
of quantificational constructions, especially ones embedded in more complex
sentences, or with explicit numerals? E.g., maybe 'three N-PL1' means (or
strongly replies) 'exactly three Ns' and 'three N-PL2' means 'at least
three Ns, but I couldn't say exactly how many', or something like that?
Which grammatical number would you use when translating something where
there isn't obviously a specific nontrivial group, like 'If you see any
unicorns, kill them and bring bring me their horns and hides.'? What about
'If John has exactly twelve students, it will be ideal for the group
assignment he's planning.', where the number is definite in context, but
the group might not even exist, so it seems weird to say it's 'known'? I
think it'd be really cool to see what approach you take to these kinds of
cases.

Cheers,