CONLANG  August 2015, Week 2

CONLANG August 2015, Week 2

Re: Simpler than Hodor

Daniel Demski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:05:45 +0000

Patrik,

> The truth is that anyone could use FL2 better than me. There are just three or four rules, and it's up to the user to work out what's right. Anyone can prove me wrong about anything I've told and propose a better wording according to the given rules. What I like about the whole series of FL languages is that there's no other authority than their built-in logic, and that logic is based on how the logical mechanisms work in minimalistic structures. So it's all about discovery.

I disagree here. My position is that your initial definition was ambiguous (and contradictory, as Logan originally pointed out) and you've been giving clarifications (which are occasionally contradictory, eg when you said everything in the sentence "refers to the topic, which is a seeing").

I think I've finally sorted everything out for myself. I'm going to try to give a couple implementations of FL2 and argue they're different, then pin down FL1 and state my problems with it.

The best way I've got of giving a full definition of these languages is to use the production rules. It's been a while since I tried this sort of thing, I won't be surprised if my notation is a bit idiosyncratic. Here goes.

We have the system
S -> aB
B -> b
B -> SB

Which I'll elaborate with symantics:
S -> aB	: in a of B
B -> b	: b
B -> SB	: "S" and of B
Now, for a solid definition I must stipulate here: the quotes need to be understood as nounifying their contents. There are probably several ways to force the nounification to work; what I'll do is treat a prepositional phrase in quotes as referring to the space in which its noun phrase exists, similar to how "in" was being equated to "interior".

Restating that example sentence I'm sure everyone's tired of: [topic [nom boy] [acc [on hill] house] see]
This then has the semantic paraphrasing:
- In topic of "in nom of boy" and of "in acc of "in on of hill" and of house" and of see.

Not very satisfying! But this is the type of semantics I get when I try to base it around the phrase "in X of Y" from the original definition.

First of all, the whole thing is a prepositional phrase; if we want it to be a sentence we have to accept that in this language, a bare prepositional phrase makes an existence claim (or I suppose some other type of claim).

Secondly, the topic is "of" several different things. I'm just going to say it "belongs to" them for ease of English discussion. The topic belongs to "see", of course, but it also belongs to the space in which nom belongs to boy, and to the space in which acc belongs to house. It bothers me that the relationship is the same to all three. Shouldn't "see" somehow provide the framework within which other things happen?

I'd say this is a working language, but a pretty obtuse and inhuman one. Here's a definition I like better.

S ->aXb	: "b has an a X"
X -> S	: , within which, S
S -> SS	: S and S
X -> (empty) : (empty)
This time the quotes don't have some obscure function. I'd get rid of them, but keeping track of the nesting would become hard. The X is to get rid of pesky extra "within which"'s.

This gives us:
- "See has a topic, within which, "boy has a nom" and "house has an acc, within which, "hill has an on" " ".

Putting everything on one line using "and" still makes things a little difficult, and sorry about the "nothing" bit, but overall this seems to work much better. Of course we have to wrap our heads around "topic", "nom" and "acc", but that doesn't bother me much. I think their meanings end up more acceptable in this language than the first one I described. And the semantics here is more capable because we have two types of relationships, "has" and "in", both of which are between actual individual words.

I think for good measure I'll add a third implementation, just to show we're not limited to just an awkward one and a more capable one.

S -> SS	: S and S
S ->aXb : (X b has an a)
X -> S	: S, within which,
X -> (empty) : (empty)

This gives us:
- (Boy has a nom) and ((hill has an on), within which, house has an acc), within which, see has a topic.

The parentheses aren't ideal. What I would really want would be something that gives:
- Boy has a nom and hill has an on, and in that on, house has an acc, and in that nom and that acc, see has a topic.
...But the production rules would get a little complicated. Hopefully you'll just believe me when I claim this is what I really mean.

So what we have here is a reversal of what the prepositional phrases are modifying - we're completely switching around what is in what. It still works, but it's different. The "topic" still belongs to "see", but it must be the sort of thing which can be within an acc and within a nom.

OK, now on to FL1. I'll be using the example sentence:
girl-nominative-action
house-interior-accusative-action
cat-accusative-action
kick-action

S -> S\nS: S, and S
S -> A : there is A
A -> aB : a B
B -> -A : which has A
B -> (empty) : .
The "\n" represents the line break used between "words" in the example sentence. Again I've added a variable to keep the result pretty.

What we get is:
There is girl which has nominative which has action, and there is house which has interior which has accusative which has action, and there is cat which has accusative which has action, and there is kick which has action.

That's roughly the way I was interpreting FL1 before, but as I've said, that doesn't seem to get us much meaning. Kick, nominative, and accusative all have action, but there's nothing specifying that it's the same action. Presumably when accusative has action, that means anything which has accusative takes the brunt of the action; while when kick has action, that means anything which has an accusative which has that same action, ends up absorbing the force of a swinging foot. I mean, that would seemingly be a part of the definition of "kick" in this language. It does seem like it would be interesting to try and define words in this way... "When X has a Y, and anything else has an A which also has Y, then..." But that means both a cat, and a house's interior, get kicked.

This implementation of FL1 matches mostly to the first implementation of FL2 I gave, because there's only one relationship between things, that of "X has Y". We could make a nearly identical FL1 based instead on "X is in Y". But there's not room in the rules I gave for "in X of Y", which involves two relationships.

Really, FL1 just seems semantically different from any version of FL2, and less capable. I'd list some more implementations but they have the same problems.

I do like FL2 though, and it is quite pleasantly simple, and even FL2 conceptually consists of just nouns (ie, you could use nouns and a single preposition, or simply an inflectional ending.). Because the meaning of the words has to be changed around to fit into specific versions of FL2, I don't specifically see an argument that it can express anything another language could; but I see no reason to doubt it either.