CONLANG  August 2015, Week 2

CONLANG August 2015, Week 2

Re: Simpler than Hodor

Daniel Demski <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:47:38 -0400

I'm still tinkering with this, so maybe I'm missing something here, but
things keep coming down to one or two questions so I'll go ahead and ask
them.

Patrik, you give the semantics as [X Y]->"in the X of Y". If matching up
brackets and applying this semantics was all there is to it, the first
example sentence, [topic [nom boy] [acc [on hill] house] see], becomes

In the topic of see.
In the nom of boy.
In the acc of house.
In the on of hill.

Which is the same as [topic see] [nom boy] [acc house] [on hill].

Clearly that's not the intention. But what exactly does the nesting mean?

That's my first question. My second is, what is meant by your basic
semantic formula? The English is ambiguous. "In the 'with' of 'dog'" seems
to suggest something like "in a 'with', specifically the (only) one
belonging to 'dog'". But the example [acc house] would read "in an 'acc',
specifically the one belonging to the house". Here and elsewhere, when I
try to interpret the semantics I end up leaning toward "in an "acc"
consisting of a house" or even "in an acc., namely the house". It seems
like your preposition class isn't always asserting the existence of
something which the corresponding noun owns, possesses, has, etc. Or maybe
it is?

Giving different answers to those two questions, I've come up with what
seems like a dozen variations of the language. Many of them seem
functional, but unless I'm fooling myself they're not the same as one
another, and tend to require different definitions of the vocabulary in
order to make the example sentences work. (Or just don't work with the
example sentences.) But I figured I'd just ask rather than trying to figure
out which ones actually work.

-Daniel Demski