CONLANG  September 2015, Week 1

CONLANG September 2015, Week 1

Re: The "Resultative" Form

William Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Sep 2015 20:24:45 -0700

I think you would normally call this descriptively a _deverbal noun_
or _deverbal nominalization_. It is quite well known to us German
speakers because our orthography makes a big fuzz about
nominalizations (and nouns).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominalization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deverbal_noun

An interesting case are pairs that differ in stress, e.g. _conflíct –
cónflict_, or in final consonant voice, e.g. _use [juuz] – use
[juus]_.

Those pages certainly give examples of the observed; however, they do not
classify things very well (at least relative to my thought process). The
descriptions include agent and patient forms, along with gerunds which
(while they are obviously deverbal nouns), are not examples of the deverbal
noun class described. Then again, might this not be a specific
nominalization at all, but rather just my accidentally identifying a set of
deverbal nouns that all have some similar morpho-synto-semantic qualities?

--
Sincerely,
         William S. Wright