CONLANG  September 2015, Week 1

CONLANG September 2015, Week 1

Re: Conjunctional languages are boring!

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:35:29 -0600

On 2 September 2015 at 07:11, Patrik Austin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
>> Namely, the grammar S ‒> aS, where *a is in a role of S*, both the boy and the house are part of the object, which is one of the roles of (i.e. under) the topic. With this definition we can ditch nominative and accusative altogether and use subject and object roles instead:
>>
>> (((assault (verb (topic)
>> (((boy (object (topic)
>> ((((house (interior (object (topic)
>> (((girl (subject (topic)
>>
>> I think this is looking a lot neater, check out:
>>
>> - assault is in a role of verb
>> - boy is in a role of object
>> - house is in a role of interior (in-location); and importantly, interior is in a role of the object (it follows logically that if you kick something which is included in the interior of a house, you kick the interior of that house; however the house is not a role of the object.)
>> - girl is in a role of subject.
>> - all are roles of topic. So the topic has many roles, which are syntactic roles (role1).
>
>> Looking at it this way makes the ambiguity in the syntax-semantics
> interpretation rule very, very clear. If we say that the meaning of an
> 'a' followed by the remainder of an 'S' is given by the assertion that
> the referent of 'a' occupies *some* role of the denotation of 'S',
> then two important questions remain unanswered:
>
>> 1. Which role is being occupied? The denotation of 'S' could have any
> number of open slots for different kinds of additional participants to
> be inserted, and the grammar so far gives no way of distinguishing
> *which one* is meant in any particular case.
>
> The answer is basically really simple, but you might have to suggest a different wording because I'm having trouble making a distinction between two different types of genitive. X has "the role X" which is a role of/under/within Y. For instance, the topic (Y) can include a subject (X). The role which the subject has is that of the subject, and this role belongs to Y as a part of its structure.

That doesn't seem to answer the question. *Which* role is the role of
X? For something like subject, which *is* the name of a thematic role,
it may seem obvious. But what is, e.g., "the role 'apple'"
of/within/under some arbitrary Y? What place in argument does
structure would 'apple' naturally occupy?

> In indexing you could say that X is a hyponym of Y, while Y is the hypernym of X. So there's a genitive both ways, but the hierarchy is unambiguously defined.
>
> Another way to put it is that the function of X is to specify Y, and there may be many others.

Ah, I think I see what you're going for now. You are effectively
dividing your sentence into sub-clauses (which in the last example,
are all terminated by the marker "topic"), each of which describes, by
conjunction of predicates[1], a single entity that is part of the
structure of the over-arching event described by the whole sentence.

In essence, "topic" is acting as a function word to divide sub-clauses
that describe separate entities. That could just be an artifact of the
particular example you chose; perhaps you do in fact intend that any
word could come at the end vs. beginning, which preserves your claim
of monocategoriality, and if this is in fact supposed to work the way
I think it does, then that's perfectly OK and doesn't necessarily
break anything. Sub-clauses could be distinguished by intonation /
punctuation without requiring a special word or even any morphology.
But there are distinct subclauses, which means there is at least a
one-level deep tree structure involved, which means that the linear S
-> aS grammar is not an accurate reflection of the actual syntax of
the language.

[1] Or, equivalently, intersection of sets of possible referents- that
might be closer to the way you're thinking of it in terms of hypo- and
hypernyms.

>> b) The denotation of an S is one of the arguments in the internal
> semantic structure of the S (or a wrapper around such that provides
> formal machinery for specifying how it links into higher structures).
>
> That's again a trick question because remember that we can look at the sentences in a linear presentation, or think of them as a graph, like we would do with paaS. While both will ultimately give the same result, the intermediate processes may look different. In an aS structure there's always only one argument - or predicate - for an S, but in the graph there are an unlimited number of predicates and arguments within a proposition.

It's not a trick question. The *whole point* is to figure out what the
mapping is between the linear presentation and the arbitrarily-complex
semantic graph. A linear grammar is fact does describe a graph already
(a linear graph is still a graph), but a very boring and restricted
one.

>> c) The denotation of an S is a compound predicate or lambda
> expression with open argument places to be filled.
>
> Probably not this. Remember, they are endocentric compounds. It's basic linguistics, not CS.

It's formal semantics. I don't know if you consider that "basic"
linguistics or not, but that's what it is.
And now we have a problem, because you've rejected every logical
possibility that I know of for what the denotation of the syntactic
structure of an 'a' followed by an 'S' could actually mean- *unless*,
as I described above, S -> aS is not actually the correct description
of the grammar, in which case new possibilities open up.

>> Options (b) and (c) could be collapsed into one, given the
> parenthetical about wrapping arguments/entities in some larger
> expression that would make them equivalent to compound predicates with
> open argument slots. Since option (a) is nonsensical, the meaning of
> an embedded S *must* be some version of (b) and/or (c). So now we can
> ask: exactly how do you determine *which* possible compound predicate,
> or which precise set of open argument positions, is exposed by an
> embedded 'S' to be available for the 'a' in the next level up to fill?
>
>> If the answers to these questions are "'S' exposes every slot you can
> think of" and "'a' occupies whatever role you think makes sense", then
> you have Gil's minimal IMA language.
>
> I'm now taking a look at http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.117.3628&rep=rep1&type=pdf
>
> I could use some of it as a source, but it's not directly related. Unlike me, Gil theorises about language evolution. I think his work perhaps builds a bridge between a monocategorial bonobo-related language, which - some function words added - gradually builds up to something like Riau Malay.
>
> I'm working with minimalistic formal grammars, and I find that agglutinative is simpler than isolating. In the article above Gil is by no means constructing a comprehensive IMA grammar.

Oh, yes he is, and does. There's just not much to it that needs
constructing, so it goes by pretty quick. That's not the best article
for it, but it *does* contain the information you are looking for, if
you know how to read it. This article makes it much more explicit:
https://books.google.com/books?id=5WDfl14RgKMC&pg=PA349&dq=Isolating-Monocategorial-Associational+Language&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAWoVChMIgLrOu5HZxwIVyKWICh1BPQ8y#v=onepage&q=Isolating-Monocategorial-Associational%20Language&f=false

In there, Gil describes both the complete formal grammar of IMA (you
might miss it because it is so simple as to be barely worth
mentioning- look for trees) and the complete formal semantic
interpretation in terms of the polyadic association operator (which is
present in the article you found, as well).

And if you extend your syntax trees to the interior of words, then
agglutinative is exactly isomorphic to isolating.

> We should take it for granted that FL1 can be used ambiguously or erroneously, and narrow our question as to whether it can be used unambiguously.

That's the only question that I have been concerned with.

>  So let's only look for a method that can translate any given logical expression with the same precision. Absolute precision in FL1 is impracticable, because you can add specifiers to make an expression more precise, and you can add n specifiers to further specify each specifier. That means that the more specific you are, the more empty gaps there will be in the semantic structure. I call this vagueness as opposed to ambiguity. It's comparable to a requirement of having n specifying predicates for each argument in PL. So, instead of examining the absolute precision of a statement in FL1, I suggest we anchor the required precision to any given valid logical expression.

Ambiguity in the precision of referents is not something that I care
about or have attempted to address. It's essentially the same as
lexical ambiguity, and you can quite validly decide to ignore it under
the banner of "vagueness" if you so desire. It is indeed *exactly* the
problem addressed by using multiple predicates for each argument in
predicate logic. What I'm trying to determine is how you know, *not*
what a particular argument refers to, but *which* place it occupies in
each of those possibly-plural specifying predicates.

> Now that I've gained more understanding of the semantics, I suggest we go to back to my previous method of generating FL1 sentences from FL2 trees. I think me and Daniel agreed previously that FL2 is unambiguous (it's a DCFG), and as you're not protesting what I said about the n to the power of n nods, I take it you agree as well.

Yes. More precisely, it is clear that FL2 is *syntactically*
unambiguous, and *can be* semantically unambiguous (but may also be
used in an ambiguous manner if you so desire).

> So, again, let's use a prepositional FL2 phrase and insert it to http://ironcreek.net/phpsyntaxtree/ and this time: don't uncheck color! We're going to use it. The English sentence is: "Girl kicks a boy because milk was stolen from the fridge." We have the intermediate sentence in FL2 (don't use this one!):
>
> [event [subject girl] [object boy] [reason [object [origin [location kitchen] fridge] milk] steal] kick]
>
> and the same expression with a different word order which gives a tree which is nicer to read from RIGHT to left (use this and uncheck auto subscript):
>
> [event [reason [object [origin [location kitchen] fridge] milk] steal] [object boy] [subject girl] kick]
>
> So you see it gives a neat parse tree with red content words and blue grammatical words. I'm still not 100 % per cent sure about the correct semantic formula for FL1, but I know that the FL1 structure must be exactly as unambiguous as the corresponding FL2 sentence.

No, you don't. In fact, it *cannot* be. Not unless you either add
morphology to the words of FL1 that will disambiguate their semantic
relations independently of the syntax, or allow for a separate class
of function words to do so (in which case it is not actually FL1, but
some version of FL2 after all).
This is very simply because because the linear structures encoded in a
S -> aS grammar contain *strictly less* information than the
tree-branching structures possible in FL2. When you take that
syntactic structure away, you either have to put that information
somewhere else, or accept that losing it means creating ambiguity.

> I think the wisest thing is to look at the tree, and *knowing* that it is unambiguous, try to understand *why*.

I'm pretty sure I know why. And it's because S -> aS *is not* the
actual grammar of FL1 as evidenced by how you are using it.

> The FL1 sub sentences are (L-R, bottom-up):
>
> kitchen location origin object reason event
> fridge origin object reason event
> milk object reason event
> steal reason event
> boy object event
> girl subject event
> kick event
>
> So each a (red) in aS has content semantics, and each S (blue) in aS has structural semantics. This way we can distinguish between two kinds of subjects, for instance, one of which is a syntactic role, and one that is an actual thing we are talking about.

And again, as I described with the first example, you have here a
non-strictly-linear substructure, as evidenced by the existence of
distinct sub-sentence constituents.

> Of course we could try to establish two distinct lexical-semantic categories for a distinction between content words (e.g. subject) vs.  meta-words (e.g. nominative), but as it happens to be that there are two syntactic elements, a and S, we can define the semantics for the grammar in such a way that we can use the same word for both, and yet have different contextual semantics for them. (Such as: "a is an a in the syntactic structure of S"; while the meaning of each word is defined in the dictionary.)

Indeed you can, but S -> aS is not the grammar that describes that
structure or allows for the application of those rules.
What you need is something like this (playing fast-and-loose with
Kleene star because the linear branching direction is totally
irrelevant here):

S -> S'S'*
S' -> aa*

Or, in other words, a sentence is composed of a linear sequence of an
arbitrary number of sub-sentences (S', or S-primes) greater than or
equal to one, and each subsentence is composed of a linear sequence of
an arbitrary number of words ('a's) greater than or equal to one.

> But as you can see above, this not true for S ‒> aS; and that's the reason I suggested you define values likewise for paa and S in paaS. I mean, be careful not to say something that will make your grammar look bad, actually… ;)

The value of S in S -> paaS | 0 is transparent from the production
rules- it's "paa".

The interpretation or denotation of S in paaS is [|S : p a1 a2 S|] =
[|p|]([|a1|], [|a2|]) & [|S|]
[|p|] = G[p], which has the value of a binary predicate, and the
interpretation of some symbol in class a is just that same symbol,
being used as an argument variable.

Thus, paaS can unambiguously represent arbitrarily semantic graphs
where each paa triplet encodes one edge of the graph.

> PaaS lacks the expressive power that FL2 has, so I'd rather consider it in parallel with FL1.

Not, it doesn't. I repeat: paaS can unambiguously encode arbitrarily
complex semantic graphs. FL2 can only unambiguously describe
tree-structured graphs. That's nothing to feel ashamed of; natlangs
don't do much better. But it's expressive power is strictly less than
that of paaS.

> If not, I would suggest abcS, but of course all three grammars may be considered, abbS being an intermediate form.

S -> abbS is *the same grammar* as S -> paaS. You've just renamed the variables.

-l.