CONLANG  October 2015, Week 4

CONLANG October 2015, Week 4

Re: Sketch of a Verb-Heavy Language

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:53:41 -0600

I was hoping to get around to translating some more examples
yesterday, but I just couldn't get to a point where I was satisfied
with the conjugations and subject clitics for anything other than
third person.

By now, though, I think I have things pretty well worked out.
I also decided to go ahead and switch to a triangular vowel system
rather than a square, so /a/ and /wo/ are now a rounded-unrounded
I also switched to using <v> instead of <f> for the labial fricative,
purely because I think it looks nicer.

I briefly considered eliminating phonemic non-nasalized voiced stops,
so that voiced stops only occurred as part of nasal clusters, which
would give a (very) slight Quenya-ish flavor to the language. But then
I stared at Salish and Hadza consonant charts for a bit and decided
that my inventory was not actually all that large in comparison, and I
invented some words with basic non-nasal voiced stops that I liked, so
they're in for good, now.

I've begun consolidating my documentation in a Google Doc at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aVmxGpfCdvdNqt3lI-GvatckmtsF-3XIal7m6EHejy0/edit?usp=sharing

Other big news is that I figured out ways to allow attributive serial
verbs including syntactic restrictions on which specific roots can
appear in certain positions without making it look too much like
evidence for nouns vs. verbs/adjectives. The unergative/unaccusative
distinction is important, and also shows up in morphology-
unaccusatives and transitives show reduplicative number agreement with
their absolutive argument in 3rd and 4th person, while unergatives do
not. Some roots can fall into both categories, in which case number
agreement distinguishes agency levels for plural 3rd and 4th person
arguments. Agency/control is left ambiguous for singular and 1/2p
arguments, which seems just fine to me since English gets by with no
explicit level-of-intention marking on its unaccusative verbs at all,
and naturalistically irregular. I suspect there is an auxiliary or
adverb to emphasize when an ambivalent verb is more ergative or not in
other cases, kind of like "on purpose" in English.

Also, it turns out that, totally unexpectedly, Hadza turns out to be
the perfect language to borrow words from in order to get more clicks.
I just threw it out there kind of randomly at first, but looking at
the Wikipedia page I have discovered that Hadza, unlike the Khoisan
languages, has morpheme-medial clicks- and the few click-containing
words I invented already show that this language has morpheme-medial
clicks, too. It also has prenasalized clicks, which will help to use
more of my inventory, and has dental, alveolar, and lateral clicks-
i'm collapsing dental and alveolar into single phonemes, but even so
that matches up remarkably well with my phonology.

So, now I just need a good Hadza dictionary to steal from.... The
Wikipedia page has a few examples of words containing morpheme-medial
clicks, based on which I have stolen the following:

putqe - vi(a).imp*. a spleen
tantqe - vt.perf. to aim at something (with something)
tatqe - vi(a).imp. a belt; this makes a nice minimal pair for prenasalization
nbentqa - vt.imp. to lick something
latqwo - vi(a).perf. to trip (over something)
ketqenda - vi(a/e).imp. slow, to go slowly
petqentqe - vi(a/e).imp. fast, to hurry
hatqak - vi(a).imp. a stone
hentqe - vi(e).imp. to spy, look secretly (through / around something,
on someone, or at something)
xelqeke - vi(a/e).imp. to hear or listen (to someone/thing)
ndalqe - vi(a).imp. to be crowded
kalqe - vi(e).perf. to jump
benlqwo - vt.imp. to have or carry something on one's person

From Salish sources I have also stolen the word <nbatqe> for "to
walk"- or, more generally, "to go under one's own power", as opposed
to "ride" or "be transported".

my previous decision that this would be a language that uses primarily
path-oriented motion verbs rather than manner-oriented. These are
clearly manner-oriented motion verbs! *But*, "fast" and "slow" are not
*exclusively* motion verbs- merely co-opted for that purpose when it
makes sense. And three is still not a very big number. My thought at
this point is that these roots are going to be expanded upon with a
lot of lexical affixes specifying paths, or else used mostly as
auxiliaries in conjunction with more "normal" path-oriented verbs.

I am also stealing the Salish word " áma" as "wonba" for "good"
(vi(a).imp.), so that I can translate this example from St'at'imcets:

[ áma léxlex smúlhats ]=0 kw=sMaggie.
good intelligent woman=3ABS DET=Maggie
Maggie is a good, intelligent woman.

woma lex lwuuxa txe nBage-la
woma lex lwuuxa-0 txe nBage=la
good clever woman-3sg DEF Maggie=ART

Oh, I also decided that the capitalized versions of prenasalized
consonants capitalized the second character- the one that tells you
all about place and voicing- leaving the digraph-forming <n>
uncapitalized. As you can see in the approximation of "Maggie" and
"nBage".

Playing around with tense, aspect, and topic-comment structure, we can also say:

kalqe txe lwuuxa-la
"The woman *jumped*"

lwuuxa txe kalqe-la
"The *woman* jumped."

lwuuxa txe kalqweev-la
lwuuxa-0 txe kalqe-wev-0=la
woman-3sg txe jump-IMP-3sg=ART
"The woman is jumping."

kalqweev tu txe lwuuxa-la
kalqe-wev-0 tu txe lwuuxa-0=la
jump-IMP-3sg PST DEF woman-3sg=ART
"The woman *was* jumping."

kalqweev tu txe lwuuxa-la lagu kalqe txe swetqe-la
"The woman was (already) jumping when the man jumped."
Note that <lagu> is a generic conjunction that just means "and", but
because the first clause describes an imperfective action while the
second clause describes a perfective action, it is assumed that the
second action occurs during the first- thus "when".

We can also sequence two perfective actions:

kalqe txe lwuuxala lagu kalqe txe swetqela
"The woman jumped and (then) the man jumped."

Another aspect-altering suffix (the inchoative), as well as some
intransitive conjugations for different persons, are demonstrated by
the following examples:

xe-nbatqegwelend
xe=nbatqe-gwel-end
1sg=go-INC-1p.EX
"I (just) set out on my own."

xe-nbatqegwelenk
xe=nbatqe-gwel-enk
1sg=go-INC-1p.IN
"I (just) set out (possibly with assistance or companionship)."

dwu-nbatqegwelenk
dwu=nbatqe-gwel-enk
2sg=go-INC-2p
"You (just) set out."

Note the homphony of 1p inclusive and 2p conjugations. That is by no
means coincidental.

nkeswu-nbatqegwelenk
nkeswu=nbatqe-gwel-enk
1pl.IN=go-INC-1p.IN
"We (you & I) (just) set out."

ndwu-nbatqegwelend
ndu=nbatqe-gwel-end
1pl.EX=go-INC-1p.EX
"We (me & them) (just) set out."

le-nbatqegwel
le=nbatqe-gwel-0
3sg=go-INC-3p
"He/she/it, whom I can call to, (just) set out."

pe-nbatqegwelp
pe=nbatqe-gwel-p
4sg=go-INC-4p
"He/she/it, who's too far to talk to, (just) set out."

he-nbatqegwel
he=nbatqe-gwel-0
3/4pl=go-INC-3p
"They, whom I can call to, (just) set out."

he-nbatqegwelp
he=nbatqe-gwel-p
3/4pl=go-INC-4p
"They, who're too far to talk to, (just) set out."

Unfortunately, <nbatqe> doesn't demonstrate 3/4p number agreement,
because it's an unergative verb. So:

he-hatqatqakep
he=hatqa-tqak-ep
3/4pl=stone-pl-4p
"Those ones over yonder are rocks."

he-xelqekeke
he=xelqeke-ke-0
3/4pl=xelqeke-pl-3p
"They hear." (unaccusative number agreement)

he-xelqeke
he=xelqeke-0
3/4pl=xelqeke-3p
"They listen." (unergative- no plural reduplication)

For my final set of examples for the day, the usefulness of <benlqwo>
can be seen in contrast to <veshatqak>:

xe-veshatqakend
xe=ves-hatqak-end
1sg=STA-stone-1p.EX
"I myself own a rock."

xe-benlqwond ta hatqak-la
xe=benlqwo-nd ta hatqak-0=la
1sg=carry-1p.EX IND stone-3p=ART
"I have a rock with me (in a pocket or something)."

-l.

* vi(a) = unnaccusative, vi(e) = unergative, vi(a/e) = ambivalent, vt
= transitive, imp = imperfective, perf = perfective
Parentheses indicate built-in obliques