CONLANG  October 2015, Week 4

CONLANG October 2015, Week 4

Re: Sketch of a Verb-Heavy Language

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:57:37 -0600

First, a quick correction: my last vocab word from last time should
have been transcribed "nbetsa" rather than "mbitsa", since my
transcription scheme does not use <m> or <i>.

Next, some evolving thoughts on phonology:

It occurred to me that, given the existing harmony rules and the
historical justification for them, there should be regular
morphophonological alternations of two types. First, there may be
inflections that are realized (in the phonetic form) solely as a
change in vowel quality, due to the addition of an affix which
consisted of in the proto-language of a now-lost /w/ (such things
would be reflected in the transcription, of course, by actually still
adding a /w/, since that's the digraph character for vowel rounding).
Second, however, there should be prefix vowels and root-final vowels
which are normally unrounded, but become rounded when coming in
contact with a root-initial or suffix-initial rounded vowel. That
requires no changes to what I've described already- just something to
keep in mind while making up vocabulary and morphology.

I am also, however, having second thoughts about the structure of the
vowel inventory, due to the words that I invented (stole) last time.
Salish languages have a diversity of different vowel inventories. Many
of them have a perfectly normal and boring (about the only boring
thing about them) 5-vowel aeiou set. St'at'imcets is a little wilder
and actually has 8 vowels- they aren't the same as my 8 vowels, and
are in fact arranged quite differently, but there are 8 so I could
theoretically devise a one-to-one correspondence for word-stealing
purposes. But in the small number of words I have created so far, I
have only used 3 basic vowels! In both rounded and unrounded
varieties, so one could call that 6, but only 3 basic vowels. I have
never played with a 3-vowel system before, so that has some intrigue.
Here's what's going for it:
1. Playing with a 3-vowel triangle would be Fun and New, and I could
keep the regular, productive rounded-unrounded correspondence so that
I still have a comfortably large *actual* vowel inventory, which makes
it easier to warm up to the concept. I've shied away from it before
because I always felt like 3-vowel systems would be too constraining
in word creation.
2. I could split the single low vowel between unrounded /a/ and
rounded /o/, which would simultaneously make for a more
interesting-because-less-straightforward phonemic-to-phonetic mapping,
but crucially would also increase the distinctiveness of the vowels in
a way which makes them easier for me to hear!
Point 2 may seem a bit like cheating (I mean, why should I restrict a
weird-lang by what happens to be easy for *me*, a guy who is not used
to pure-rounding distinctions in his vowels and is intentionally
playing with weird phonemes for practice, after all!), but I think
there is sufficient oddity left in a vowel triangle plus productive
rounding distinctions to justify it.

The counter-argument, of course, is that I could just continue to
disclaim that I myself am not a native speaker and of course have a
terrible accent.
So, I'm leaning very strongly towards revising the vowel system this
way, but I'm going to hold off for a while to invent more words and
see if I can't get used to the vowel-box system after all first.

Fortunately, I don't seem to be having as much trouble as I thought I
would learning to pronounce the clicks fluently. I'm not entirely
certain I am doing the consistently correctly, so I may end up
revising the phonetic description of them later, but right now I am
feeling encouraged.

(I am providing all this nebulous description of my ongoing thought
processes in the hope that getting insight into somebody else's
process [mine] during language construction will be interesting to
other people; I hope that I am not simply boring you all with walls of
text and no concrete final decisions!)

Anyway, I had a goal to provide some interlinearized sentence examples
this time, and I'm gonna do it! Here we go:

1. le-tupund (ɬɛ.tɯ.pɯn)
le=tupund-0
3sg.SUB=hit.TRANS-3sg.3sg
"It hit(s) it"

Having looked through a bunch of interlinearized sentences from
several different Salish languages, I was just not feeling very
impressed with the phonological forms available for agreement and
pronouny-things. So, I'm makin' things up more at random than usual;
here, I stole the 3rd person singular subject clitic "le-" from French
(in which it is pronounced quite differently!)

2. tupund txe swetqe-la (tɯ.pɯn tʃɛ sʷy.ǀɛ.ɬa)
tupund-0 txe swetqe-0=la
hit.TRANS-3sg.3sg DEF man-3sg=ART
"The man hit(s) it" / "The hitter is the one who is a man"

Lots of Salish interlinears appear to circum-determiners- a special
word before the relative, *and* a clitic at the end. At one point, I'm
pretty sure I knew what was up with that. And actually, based on the
analyses in http://lingserver.arts.ubc.ca/linguistics/sites/default/files/1996_Burton_Davis-H.pdf,
I'm reasonably sure I do know what's up with that. I'm not certain I
will use it the same way, but it seems like a useful thing to have
around for potential re-analyses. The way I'm thinking now, the final
article in this particular example might end up being optional (for a
couple of different reasons), so it's possible that

tupund txe swetqe

is also a valid sentence with equivalent meaning. Also note that I've
ended up going with [y] for the rounded <we> sound; I was
contemplating letting /e/ range all the way up to [i] anyway, and as I
have a hard time distinguishing [y] from [ø], I figure I might as well
settle on the phonemic representation that is easier to type!

This sentence can also be switched around to:

3. swetqe ta tupund-la (sʷy.ǀɛ ta tɯ.pɯn.ɬa)
swetqe-0 ta tupund-0=la
man-3sg IND hit-3sg.3sg=ART
"The/A man is a hitter."

Moving on:

4. le-tupund txe nk'ap-la (ɬɛ.tɯ.pɯn tʃɛ n͡qap.ɬa)
le=tupund-0 txe n'kap-0=la
3sg.SUB=hit.TRANS-3sg.3sg DEF coyote-0=ART
"The coyote is/was hit by it."

Note that, like (1), but in contrast to (2), the subject clitic
indicates that the following DP is *not* the subject; thus, the coyote
is the object of "hit". Also note that <nk'> ended up being uvular
rather than glottal; I thought that sounded better.

5. swetqe txe tupund txe nk'ap-la (sʷy.ǀɛ tʃɛ tɯ.pɯn tʃɛ n͡qap.ɬa)
swetqe-0 txe tupund-0 txe nk'ap-0=la
man-3sg DEF hit.TRANS DEF coyote-3sg=ART
"The man hit(s) the coyote." / "The one who hit(s) the coyote is a man."

Note that lack of an article clitic on "tupund"; I'm still not
completely certain how it works, but I do feel very strongly that it
would be ungrammatical in this position. There might be more
complicated sentences where it turns up again, but in this simple case
I think the lack of "-la", combined with the lack of an oblique
preposition, doubly indicate that the following DP ("tse nk'ap-la")
must be an argument of "tupund", and not of the matrix clause. If
there were a preposition, lack of "-la" would clarify that it's an
oblique argument of the embedded relative clause instead of the matrix
clause.

6. nk'ap txe tupundsa txe swetqe-la (n͡qap tʃɛ tɯ.pɯn.sa tʃɛ sʷy.ǀɛ.ɬa)
nk'ap-0 txe tupund-sa-0 txe swetqe-0=la
coyote-3sg DEF hit.TRANS-3sg.3sg DEF man-3sg=ART
"The coyote is/was hit by the man."

Here we see the first use of the inverse voice suffix "-sa". Since
only subjects can be relativized, we know that the argument to a
relative clause is always an object, even though there is no subject
clitic. Thus, the only way to raise "nk'ap" to matrix predicate
position is to invert the argument structure.

I now realize that I left out some fairly obvious and simple sentences
that should have been introduced long ago:

7. le-swetqe (ɬɛ.sʷyǀɛ)
le=swetqe-0
3sg.SUB=man-3sg
"He is a man."

8. le-nk'ap (ɬɛ.n͡qap)
le=nk'ap-0
3sg.SUB=coyote-3sg
"It is a coyote."

Now, there are just a few more cool features I want to show off before
being done for the day....

9. tupundkwe txe lwuuxa-la (tɯ.pɯn.kʷy tʃɛ ɬʷuː.ʃa.ɬa)
tupund-kwe-0 txe lwuuxa-0=la
hit-APS-3sg DEF woman-3sg=ART
"The woman struck/strikes out (but may or may not hit anything)."
Here we see the antipassive, object-drop suffix "-kwe" in action. Also
note that I ended up getting rid of the stop, nasal or not, in the
word for "woman". I think it sounds nicer this way. I suspect at this
point you can probably construct the equivalent inverted sentence.

10. k'elang ta tupundeskwe-la (ʡɛ.ɬaŋ ta tɯ.pɯn͡d.ɛs.kʷy.ɬa)
k'elang-0 ta tupundeskwe-0=la
house IND hit-PAS-3sg=ART
"A house is/was hit (and it is unimportant who did it)." / "A thing
that's hit is a house."
Perhaps there is a war on and a bombing run just flew by or something like that.

Note that the passive suffix "-(e)skwe" is in fact a fusion of the
inverse and antipassive: "-sa" + "-kwe" = "-(e)skwe".

And one more:

11. festupund txe k'elang-la (fɛs.tɯ.pɯn tʃɛ ʡɛ.ɬaŋ.ɬa)
fes-tupund-0 txe k'elang-0=la
STA-hit-3sg DEF house-3sg=ART
"The house has been hit." (lit. "The house is in the state that is the
result of hitting.")

I wanted to steal the stative/resultative/possessive discussed in that
paper on Salish possession, but in order to make it licit I either had
to add a consonant to the beginning, or make the "e" rounded. I did
not like making the "e" rounded- I thought it sounded way too much
like French for too long before we get the "ʡ" in "house"- so I took
this opportunity to use one of the lonely consonants that hasn't been
put in a word yet!

Next time, perhaps I will get around to making up clitics and
agreement suffixes for more persons and numbers and transitive
combinations thereof than just the 0-suffix 3rd person singular....

-l.