Help for TEI-L Archives

TEI-L Archives

TEI-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

TEI-L Home

TEI-L  November 2015

TEI-L November 2015

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Kevin Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>

Kevin Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Nov 2015 09:16:27 -0600

I'm a bit confused.  If I understand correctly:

a) You want to use both some local, project-specific taxonomies and some
standard, externally defined taxonomies.

b) You want to define both using <tei:taxonomy>.

c) Your example shows the definition for just a single externally
defined taxonomy (the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus).

d) Your example shows just those terms from Getty that you've used in
this document.

Assuming this is all correct, then I have the following comment.

I read P5 section 2.3.7 to say that you should only use <category>
elements if a classification scheme that is not well-recognized,
documented, and public.  So, for the case of Getty, I would have simply
done this:

<taxonomy xml:id="Getty">
  <bibl>
    <title>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</title>
    <edition>[whatever version number you're using]</edition>
  </bibl>
</taxonomy>

and then inside profileDesc/textClass, you'd include the terms from
Getty that relate to your document:

<keywords scheme="#Getty">
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Parchment</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Paper</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Insular
majuscule</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Insular
minuscule</term>
</keywords>

In short, it's important to remember that the TEI header separates the
declaration of classification schemes (in <classDecl>) and the
application of these schemes to a particular document (in profileDesc).

Kevin

<