CONLANG  November 2015, Week 5

CONLANG November 2015, Week 5

Re: Haotyétpi: a new language, and a question about glossing

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Nov 2015 21:55:33 +0100

On 30 November 2015 at 17:38, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > So I did the only thing I could think of: pause my work on Moten, and let
> > my creative juices flow: after the LCC, I started working on a new
> > language. This was the only way to clear up my mind and get it to work
> > normally again. And it's working: although I'm still not back at full
> > productivity yet, I've been able to feel the pressure going down in my
> head
> > for the last few months.
>
> This is probably one of the best descriptions I have ever read of the
> "need to create".

Thanks! I wish I'd recognised the symptoms earlier. I was starting to get
physically unwell from it, believe it or not! in any case, it seems
conlanging monogamy is not for me. I'm not abandoning Moten by any means,
but I do need some time out from *that* relationship :P.

> > Now, the new language I'm working on, which is currently called
> Haotyétpi,
> > unlike Moten, is far from set in stone, and still in a state of flux. But
> > enough of it is stable that I feel I can share about it on the list,
> > especially since I've come to a point where I actually need your help to
> > get further.
> >
> > But first things first. If you want to read about Haotyétpi, please check
> > out this document:
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Ba74aEwr57dW1GNEJGei1qRjg. It's quite
> > incomplete (I've only worked on it when I had some idle time, and I
> haven't
> > had much of it lately), full of empty sections, and it lacks examples,
> but
> > it should give you an idea of what the language looks like. Things may
> > change of course, but the basic structure of the language should now stay
> > the same whatever happens.
>
> At 74 pages, I think you've still managed to get more detail
> documented all in one place than I have ever managed!

Well, it mostly wrote itself. The various ideas had already organised
themselves in my head a long time before I started typing. And to be fair,
quite a few pages of this are boiler plate, and part of it is the list of
sentences Gary Shannon compiled, so that pads the document a bit :P.

> > - Alignment is... an open question at the moment. Quite a few features of
> > the language look ergative, but because the core arguments are unmarked
> > it's difficult to tell for certain. Neither is it possible to ascertain
> > alignment from the argument agreement on the verb: while intransitive
> verbs
> > mark the subject via prefixes, and transitive verbs mark the subject via
> > suffixes and the object via prefixes, these object prefixes are *not all*
> > identical to the intransitive subject prefixes, although they are clearly
> > related (and the prefixes for plural persons and the indefinite person
> > *are* identical);
>
> This sounds similar to the situation in Celimine. My primary arguments
> for an ergative analysis in that case are a combination of history
> (internal-historically, the proto-language has ergative morphology),

That's probably the case of Haotyétpi too, given the shape of the personal
prefixes.

> voice operations (there's an explicit antipassive construction, not so
> much a passive),

Haotyétpi has both, and they are equally common (and happen to be marked
identically to the indefinite person, although syntactically they are
slightly different from it, which makes me think they are relatively recent
developments).

> and pivot behavior (if you conjoin a transitive verb
> with an intransitive, they share an absolutive argument, not a
> nominative).

This is where I have some difficulty with Haotyétpi. First, Haotyétpi is
strongly pro-drop (like Japanese basically), so it's difficult to define
the syntactic pivot in that case. Also, that pivot changes depending on
which clitic is chosen to conjoin two verbs (see page 44 of the document):
- With _=ye_, anything is possible. The two sentences don't even have to
share an argument;
- With _=so_ and _=ru_, argument sharing is not only possible, it's
mandatory (to the point that the second verb may omit the otherwise
necessary personal agreement affix). However, they mandate a different
pivot: the "absolutive" argument in the case of _=so_, the subject in the
case of _=ru_ (which can only be used after transitive and ditransitive
verbs).
Does the behaviour of these two clitics mean Haotyétpi is ergative? I don't
know. It may be ergative but impure, but the evidence is flimsy at best so
far.

> > Because of that, I'm unsure how I should gloss _=marese_. Should I gloss
> > its internal structure (basically as NMLZ-COP), despite the fact that its
> > actual meaning can't be guessed from that structure, and that the free
> > translation most likely can't make it clear what it means in most cases?
> > (that's what I'm doing at the moment) Or should I just gloss it as
> ASSERT,
> > forgetting that it's analytical, and that the actual assertive clitic is
> in
> > fact omitted and that's the only reason why this structure has that
> meaning?
>
> Well, the point of glosses is to help the reader understand *why* and
> example means what it does. So, I would think "how would a native
> speaker think of this" or "how would a learner understand this?" If
> the natives think of =marese as having internal structure, or if a
> student learning the language would be taught it that way, then gloss
> it that way. But if it is understood and taught as a single
> (polysemous) unit, which in this case has the same meaning as the
> "actual" assertive clitic, then gloss it that way.

Given that both _=mare_ and _-se_ are used separately in other
constructions (other sentence final forms, for _=mare_, to be exact), and
_=marese ka_ is *not* uncommon either (although slightly stronger than just
_=marese_, they're near synonyms), I think native speakers see it as having
internal structure. The thing is, because it really doesn't have anything
like an English equivalent that is not far too strong for the meaning that
is meant, the free translation in the examples won't usually have anything
to remind the learner of *why* this structure needs to be present.

Other sentence final forms can more readily appear in English translations
due to their meanings, but the main problem remains, and I'm still not sure
how to handle it...

> If you go with the second option (gloss the idiomatic meaning, not the
> analysis), however, I'd then add a note somewhere, for each common
> idiom, that explains once "there's this phrase that is used with
> such-and-such idiomatic meaning, and is analyzed thusly... and it's
> used in this idiomatic way because... and henceforth glosses will skip
> the analysis and just say what it means."

That's what I do in section 3.3.12 "Sentence Final Forms", currently page
43 of 74. the problem here being that examples with this structure (and
other similar ones) will appear far earlier than their explanation, and I
don't want to add referencing to that section at every example.

On 30 November 2015 at 18:09, Wm Annis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Because of that, I'm unsure how I should gloss _=marese_. Should I gloss
> > its internal structure (basically as NMLZ-COP), despite the fact that its
> > actual meaning can't be guessed from that structure, and that the free
> > translation most likely can't make it clear what it means in most cases?
> > (that's what I'm doing at the moment) Or should I just gloss it as
> ASSERT,
> > forgetting that it's analytical, and that the actual assertive clitic is
> in
> > fact omitted and that's the only reason why this structure has that
> meaning?
>
> Do what linguistics books do — put a key for your abbreviations and
> glossing symbols somewhere early in the document.  Maybe after the
> intro?  Then you can gloss {=marese} however you want, and have a
> reference from the glossing list to a paragraph or so describing what's
> going on.  With LaTeX such cross-referencing is easy (as you seem to
> already have discovered).

True. I'll look into that. Although it doesn't solve my original problem:
should I ignore the internal structure of something which, very probably,
is considered to be non-atomic by the native speakers?

Maybe I should have the key to the abbreviations list both NMLZ and COP
separately, and NMLZ-COP together, linking at that point to that special
usage. But still does not solve all the issues, as some of these sentence
final forms contain full lexical words in them, like the existential and
locative verb _ás_: "to be, to exist". For instance, _=mare na ás (ha)_ is
one possibility for interrogative sentences (it's not in the document yet),
with _=na_ being the locative case particle, and _=ha_ being the (optional)
interrogative clitic. How should I gloss _=mare na ás_ when it appears
without the interrogative clitic then?

There may simply not be an actual solution to that problem actually. But
I'd be interested to know whether people have had similar issues and how
they solved them (natlang description examples also welcome :P).

> And I do love that Brill font.  I'm surprised to see it available on
> ShareLaTeX.

It's not. I added it to the project itself.

>   The last time I looked at the copyright on that font, it was
> so complex I determined to never use it for anything except completely
> private documents.

As far as I understand it, non-commercial usage is fine. And I'm only
making the final PDF available, not the source project.

> As for the rest, I really look forward to seeing how Haotyétpi develops.

Thanks! I'm also curious to see what it's going to look like. It's as much
a process of discovery as it is creation to me :).

On 30 November 2015 at 20:40, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:54:05 +0100, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >But first things first. If you want to read about Haotyétpi, please check
> >out this document:
> >https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Ba74aEwr57dW1GNEJGei1qRjg.
>
> Very nice, typesetting and language both.

Thanks! For the typesetting, let's just say XeLaTeX is really a great
system, and the Brill typeface is really well done. I'm just standing on
the shoulders of giants here.

>   I particularly like the carefully-sketched verbal enclitic system, and
> the attention paid to how meanings like the adversative might develop out
> of components.  I'm lost attempting to try to form a conception of the
> system as a whole, though.  Perhaps you could draw up some sort of chart of
> slots or diagram or whatnot that illustrates its workings?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean: describing in a diagram all the
possible combinations of affixes, verb auxiliaries, and the like, then I'm
not sure that's possible. It would be like trying to make a diagram of the
English verb that would explain exactly how things like "I might be able to
keep redoing that" could arise from the stem "do" (and all other
possibilities). There are definitely rules, but whether they can be
diagrammatically explained in a satisfactory manner, I'm not sure.
Especially since far from all combinations are possible at all...

> (I have the same problem with most descriptions of Japanese I encounter,
> though these haven't included scholarly grammars: there's just a heap of
> lists of material one can stick after the verb, and no indication of the
> internal structure of the system.

I did try to give some idea of the structure of the system in Haotyétpi, by
separating everything into sections. The different sections represent the
different parts of the system basically. Not sure if it's what you meant.

>   Although these descriptions tend to have other problems, too, like
> taking up the native tradition's ignorance that a syllable is a sequence of
> C then V.)
>
> >[...] I'm unsure how I should gloss _=marese_. Should I gloss
> >its internal structure (basically as NMLZ-COP), despite the fact that its
> >actual meaning can't be guessed from that structure, and that the free
> >translation most likely can't make it clear what it means in most cases?
> >(that's what I'm doing at the moment) Or should I just gloss it as ASSERT,
> >forgetting that it's analytical, and that the actual assertive clitic is
> in
> >fact omitted and that's the only reason why this structure has that
> meaning?
> >
> >This is a conundrum I can't find a good solution for right now, and it's
> >one that is going to happen often, as Haotyétpi is full of such idioms. So
> >I was wondering if other people have had the same issue, and I'm wondering
> >how they solved it. Any kind of advice on this is very welcome.
>
> Seems to me that this is just the same old dichotomy between surface and
> deep representations which we're familiar with when presenting a
> phonology.  And that therefore either choice is defensible, with the same
> sort of arguments in favour of each.

Mmm... In that case I might be kinda stuck...
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)

Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/