CONLANG  December 2015, Week 2

CONLANG December 2015, Week 2

Re: Which goes first: the vocabulary or the grammar?

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:38:28 -0500

Arthaey Angosii wrote:

> I find it really interesting that so many of you start with phonology first!

It does indeed seem to be a common practice. I've been more active of late over on CBB, and it seems like èveryone
starts out with phonology when making a language. Of course, one of the betimes complained of issues over there is
that èveryone starts out with phonology -- and never gets past it! Folks will tweak and tweak the sound system to death
and never actually get around to, well, conlanging! Irks me no end, but that's because I'm one who like to see conlangs
in action -- grammar, words, semantics, sentences, poems, stories, without really caring much what they actually sound
like.

One thing I wonder: many of the folks over there are, I believe, quite young. Perhaps 16 to 20-something. I've often
wondered if the available "how to" kinds of resources available are in some way steering new conlangers into doing things
a certain way, like a recipe. Almost to the point of not being able to move on until the first step is perfected.

> For my (a priori, artlang) conlangs, I tend to write down a few "nonsense" words that I like the look/sound of.

Yep, I do that too -- though more often than not I do have some idea what the words actually mean.

> After I have maybe a dozen or two such nonsense words, I'll "figure out" a phonology that would create such a set
> of words.

Yeah, though it may be months or years before I actually try to sort out the phonology!

> Sometimes I'll have to go back and tweak a now-impossible word. Or sometimes I come up with complicated
> rationales for exceptions. Depends on how much I really liked a word. ;)

Yes!

> As I'm generating nonsense words and puzzling out their shared phonology, I'll notice patterns between words that
> could be morphological and/or grammatical and start assigning meanings as they come to me.

Yep.

> Throughout all of this, it feels very much like I'm puzzling out something that *already* exists, or like the famous
> Michelangelo quote: "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

Exactly. I know we had this discussion on Conlang years ago, on the philosophy of conlanging. This was my answer
at the time, and still pretty much sums up my position well enough:

On The Philosophy of Conculturing and Conlanging: Discovery Rather than Creation.

A discussion once came up, amongst some conlangers, about what names the imagined speakers of the conlang
would give that language. This led to a discussion about the general philosophy of how conlanging is done. Two
basic perspectives came to light: that of creation, where the conlanger decides the structures and lexis of the
language – in other words, he plans out every step and every evolution; the other is that of discovery, where the
conlanger allows the language to build itself in a more organic fashion. A natural enquiry at this time was to explore
whether the conlanger consciously decided on one of these basic philosophies up front or whether there was an inner
kenning, or realisation of how it worked for the conlanger, after a while and whether conscious or unconscious.

My answer: "Actually, neither. It’s just how I’ve always done it; whether the language or the culture comes first
doesn’t seem to matter. Mind you, it certainly _is_ how it works for me!; though I never consciously sat down to think
about it.

As for the hows, I can say that I don't deliberately "construct" a language. I don't say to myself things like "I think I
shall give the language four tenses and two aspects and this is how they shall look". I work from the other direction,
from the assumption that the language already exists, and that I'm trying to figure it out, teasing it from the aether
the way a sculptor hacks away at stone to reveal the statue that's already in there.

"I’ve tried once or twice to actually “create” a language. The attempts always fail after an hour or two of staring at blank
paper! Kerno and Tallarian essentially happened overnight, because I let them happen the way they’d work for me. They
were full blown languages right from the start - even if I couldn’t see them clearly - and simply had to be written down.
Nothing could be easier!

"The philosophy came some time after joining this list, realising that there are other, if strange (and disconcerting), ways
of doing it! I found here people that craft whole worlds and languages, speaking the command that imposes shape and
form on chaotic matter and sound; people that set up experimental snippets just to see how a piece of grammar works,
the way a scientist might create a miniecosystem just to observe; people that are driven by the need to make, but not
maintain; people who love grammar but despise phonology; people who can never get past tinkering with how the language
should sound; people that can’t conceive of a language shorn of its culture, and those who can do without the culture all
together; and those like me who open the inner Eye and realise “ah, so that’s the way it is!”

"I can’t just sit down and say “these people I shall call ‘Dacridations’” on a whim. I have to visualise them, look around,
explore and ask them what they call themselves. I would feel I’ve let down, or in some way stomped all over the people of
the conculture in question. After all, they made it up! I’m just the interested visitor.