CONLANG  December 2015, Week 5

CONLANG December 2015, Week 5

Theory: Re: Phonetic/Phonotactic/Word inventory of a musical conlang

Jon Michael Swift <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Dec 2015 09:01:21 -0500

>Thanks for your responses!  Sorry for delays; it's the season for them.  I hope it's not the case that, now that the Common Honey has been broken out, this is sent to the backburner, not to be retrieved.

CHAT: Thanks for your continued interest. I imagine that I feel a bit like a blue whale who has found some of his own kind over here. In any case, I've learned enough not to let secondary projects take the place of primary ones (though I've clearly not learned enough to find an efficient way to forward old sections of the thread into new messages outside of the old fashioned cut-and-paste - c'est la vie).

CHAT: I feel common honey is a good way to get an accelerated conlanging experience. That's a good thing for me right now. That being said I'm not going to devote that much time to it. I may take a week to coin my own name in the tribe. Nevertheless it'll warm the room up a bit and be better than if I added nothing.

This might get long so I'll probably answer in parts. The first I'll address the spelling issue and where I've progressed.

>How would that "spelling" difference translate to a difference of realisation?  Are you using a temperament in which enharmonic pairs differ?

THEORY: I've conceived three layers of spellings. Not sure what to call this because strictly speaking it's not orthography, but in a way, three alphabets. In Hindustani, they only sing Seven sargam syllables, when in fact theorists acknowledge at least 22 shrutis. Nevertheless it simplifies singing greatly. I'd like the core vocab of the language to be clear using only seven syllables, preferrably ones that don't have ambiguous variation. For example, every syllable except Sa and Pa can be on a higher or lower semitone. I'll likely try to focus primary vocab on a version of a pitch set that doesn't require a speaker to state a syllable in both the higher and lower position.

At this level you have something like [Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni] as the alphabet. Pretty much the same as solresol except for greater allowance of octave equivalency.

that being said, a lot of common melodies can't be expressed with this without ambiguity. I've also been cataloging melodic devices that make it easy to use chromatic pairs (like a major and a minor third) in close proximity without making the melody difficult. To this end, there is a second layer of 'musemes' (I can't remember who say that before, but I really like it...musemes XD  ). These would correspond to Western chromatic Solfegge. Looks something more like this...

Main syllable - lower form - higher form
Do - Da - Di
Re - Ra - Ri
Mi - Me - /My/
Fa - (Fe) - Fi
Sol - Se - Si
La - Le - Li
Ti - Te - /Ty/

This covers the most common musemes in world melodies, although quarter tones are far from unheard of. Microtonal variation is absolutely allowed up to this point, but now specifically specified. A quarter tone could hypothetically expressed with either of the above systems, but not unambiguously unless it were sung. The next layer would have to account for that.

At this point I would divide each of the seven tonal scale regions into Nine parts. One for the note corresponding to the major scale note, and four quarter tones in each direction ending with the double sharp. Some of these would rarely see action, but in some kind of music they've all been used.

I haven't made my own version to this level yet because I've devised another complexity that I want to work in. Two interesting things happen at this point. When people get to quarter tones they almost invariably start to wonder about tuning theory, and this gets back to your point about Just Intonation/Temperaments. Singing in temperaments is very hard, but singing in Just Intonation is arguably the way of the natural world. As you get into more subtle tuning systems, you eventually conclude two basic approaches to tuning...

Method #1 Concrete Microtones: these are defined and practiced by a mathematical system. Their origin is known in a formula and forcibly repeated until remembered. This also clarifies the most important relationships in a melodic system, since outside of temperaments not all notes can be equally in tune with each other.

Method #2 Abstract Microtones: the knowledge of tuning is lost except that musician remembers that there are these vague 'areas' where the notes can go. They sense that in different melody types that certain notes are "higher" or "lower" but nothing beyond that. In practice, this is the way it's usually done.

Both methods can be practically or unconsciously related, but they may also conflict. To this end, I'd like the final system of my syllabary to have the potential to reflect either just intonational derivation of the syllable or abstract microtonal placement of the syllable. It's simple in a way; you just have a vowel spectrum that is higher or lower, or possible more closed or open depending on the placement of the syllable in it's pitch space.

This is admittedly a very hard system to learn, so I would reserve it to hardcore art/engilang status, but I have worked on it a bit myself and I don't think you can completely describe the world's music without such a system, and none yet exists as I am aware of.

The last twist I want to use came to me from a friend. He was developing his own solfegge system, which to my trained ears was totally hideous. Yet he had this really ingenious twist; he essentially created a system of CV(C) syllables where the initial C expressed the absolute pitch of the note and the final V(C) expressed the relative position of that note in the system.

Since then I've thought that I'd like to develop the spoken analog of this language to have a system of synthetic syllables that can give varying degrees of information about a note. I doubt if there's enough phonology to get this all in there, but I may be wrong. Ideally, I'd like to create several spectra that describe absolute pitch, relative pitch and rhythmic features like length, cycle type and cycle placement. In this way, different spectra could be synthesized to give pertinent information about a syllable without producing any music. It also wouldn't be necessary to give all information in every syllable, since certain sounds would be system markers which afterwards could be implied as constant.

That's enough for now I think. Covers a lot of ground, most of which is still hypothetical anyway.

Jonathan