CONLANG  January 2016, Week 1

CONLANG January 2016, Week 1

Re: Theory: Re: Phonetic/Phonotactic/Word inventory of a musical conlang

Jon Michael Swift <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 Jan 2016 08:58:42 -0500

>Jon, it's hard to tell who or what you're responding to when you don't
quote what you're responding to.

I do apologize. I'm still getting used to the mechanics of the listserv and this seems to be a recurring problem in my posts.

>Because not every combination of notes preserves musicality. Musemes (by
definition) preserve musicality when combined...

If this is the case, then the question is answered depending on the type of music you use. With most melodic traditions, there are 2-4 note core phrases that are defined partially by their note and partially by how they are articulated. These are undoubtedly the musemes, although they are dependent partially on their parent scale and partially on other related core phrases. Still they can be interwoven and combined, and herein lies the potential that Moss misses.

>Musemes might well consist of notes, and the notes be phonotactically
constrained.

It seems that this is how solresol is constructed, but I really struggle with the results aesthetically and practically. It's the same reason most ears struggle with most shades of atonality; the combinations are quite impractical. I think I would like a branch of this language to function in this way, but it would take a while to develop rules to make pure note function as musemes.

>The difference between creating a conlang and creating a specifically
musical conlang consists entirely in creating the museme inventory, and
that's precisely the difficult bit. If musicality is not required then all
the difficulty evaporates. Your project aroused my interest precisely
because you said you wanted sentences to be musical. (That's the gist of
what I'd understood you to say.) I lack the knowledge to understand what
constitutes musicality, so I can't make useful suggestions about what your
musemes might consist of. But as I've said before, I was very impressed
with Moss: Moss does come up with a museme inventory. I think the main
practical problem with Moss's museme inventory is that there are too few
paradigmatic contrasts per unit of time, which means either you have one
museme per word, as Moss does, which results in an uncomfortably small
lexicon, or you have words composed of sequences of musemes, which would
result in temporally very long words making it take ages to say anything.

I totally agree about Moss. There are several critical distinctions and many subtle distinctions which are not required by Moss that are required in most musical styles. First of all, there is neither key nor mode. Key, you can do without; mode, probably not unless you are talking about the previous example of using notes as musemes which is difficult to make practical. Even then, you can't do entirely without distinguishing more than an interval's direction; it precludes too many combinations. Furthermore, Moss seems to make only two possible distinctions in rhythm and articulation, which is vastly overly reductive. It does allow the speaker a lot of freedom, but far to much to be necessarily more musical.

I think as the project approaches a stable kernel it shouldn't sound too much like any known style of music, but I also think it's wise to derive the styles from real music in order to preeminently preserve musicality. This discussion has definitely given me the clarity I need to design the first experiments, whereas a week or two ago I was paralyzed with concerns about getting bottlenecked at some stage of the process. I'll propose these experiments and then start with some sketches.

#1 Ingalbatu - A posteriori from North Indian Ragas, this kernel would give no meaning to key center but focus on the diversity of Raga music, which lies in the vast diversity of scales, phrases, rhythms and articulations. The musemes are the chalans, scale degrees or 'Sargam' syllables are vowels and articulations such as gamak, murki, meend, etc, are the consonants (these are essentially slides and shakes of notes in various distinct manners). North Indian Ragas traditionally do not intermix, but this would likely limit the vocabulary too much, so the phonotactics/morphology will cover the manners in which vocabulary from various ragas can be crossed. The musical variety necessary for natlang complexity is probably extant in this experiment alone, as the ragas are already deeply organized into aesthetic categories such that they could be used to derive both noun classes and verb tense/mood/aspects/etc. Since raga performance recordings are numerous and lengthy, I could study one raga in the manner that any student does, and use that to examine problems related to minimal pairs within that raga and decide how much mixture is required to reach higher levels of complexity without sacrificing musicality.

#2 Chantlang - A smaller but viable vocabulary exists also with Gregorian chant. It is not known if a drone was used in a lot of early chant, but some very cool aesthetic effects occur when a drone is not used. Therefore, I could make a kernel from the non-drone chant that uses the melodic freedom of chant to explore something more like Moss in that it can drift tonally without losing too much meaning. Grammatical functions would restore more in emphasis on certain scale degrees rather than with affixes like Ingalbatu would need. Eventually this could be clarified through polyphony where the function of the bass note could define global features of verbs where the melody could focus on concrete features of the utterance.

#3 Blueslang - Blues is a neat combination of features in that it has a discrete melodic vocabulary like Ragas but also a harmonic one that declines the melodic features to itself. Therefore I could do a similar experiment to Ingalbatu with assigning meaning to minimal pairs of Blues licks while outsourcing global features of the utterance to both key and chord degree.

These experiments would probably clarify the largest issues related to a larger musical conlang that would hopefully be something more a priori to avoid problems of cultural misappropriation.