CONLANG  April 2016, Week 5

CONLANG April 2016, Week 5

Sohlob romanization again

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Apr 2016 19:15:15 +0200

(This is my post from yesterday substantially edited and expanded
and with tables showing the various romanization variants
included. For those of you who get all the 'special' characters
and diacritics mangled, or want to read a typeset version it can
be found in LaTeX'ed PDF glory at

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9VeuxWpvSfGc29kZ3BHWXY3TzA/view?usp=sharing>
)

I'm in the process of switching from the old 'cool' but
inscrutable Sohlob romanization scheme to a new uncool but more
'realistic' scheme, which comes in 'narrow', 'broad' and
'simplified' versions.

The old scheme harks back to Latin-1 days. The main problem with
it beside odd mappings for _e_ and _q_ is that it looks too much
like a roman orthography, which is something which these languages
most certainly don't have. The dry and philological look of the
new scheme is actually appropriate.

The 'simplified' scheme uses a raised dot or apostrophe to
distinguish sequences like _ḵl--kh·l_ and _kḻ--k·hl_. Strictly
speaking the apostrophe marks a dropped vowel while the raised dot
is purely a grapheme separator. Thus the instrumental of _äḵal_ is
_äḵ'lar/äkh'lar_ though I usually spell it _äḵlar/äkh·lar_. Some
of the alternatives represent differences between the languages
and/or dialects or allophones while others are merely allographs.
The main allophonic case is _ǯ_ vs. _ž_ which are consistently
distinguished in all the schemes except the old Latin-1 one in
spite of being allophones of a single phoneme.[1]

The 'new' scheme is actually not new at all. It is the longhand
equivalent of the system of diacritics which I have used for
phone*ic notation in shorthand for years.[2] Out of habit I just
haven't used it for Sohlob, apart from diachronic stuff, or rather
I was confused by the Latin-1 scheme and inconsistently used _e i
y_ with various diacritics for [ɨ]. Earlier I have mostly used _ŧ
ð ꝁ/ħ ǥ ƚ ɍ_ as longhandization of the macron-below notation for
fricatives, and I might still revert to it.[3]

Actually there should also be a new version of the strict
_transliteration_ which faithfully mirrors the quirks of the
native script, doing things like *ḃ ḋ ġ ṙ ż hh/ḣ* for _p t k l ǯ
s_. (That is e.g. _z_ is *z*[4] while _ǯ_ is *ż* and _h_ is *h*
while _s_ is *hh* or *ḣ*. Needless to say it mostly makes sense
historically!) I'm really at a loss what to do with what until now
has been *e ė x ẋ*, for _ï ä ḵ š_, in the strict transliteration.
I'm thinking that I may keep them, since the native letter *e*
actually is _e_ [ɛ] in Chidilib, as opposed to _ï_ [ɨ] in
Classical Sohlob. There is no such excuse for *x* though. The use
of *y* and *ẏ* for _i y_ in order to avoid *ı* is also weird.

The following pages contain synoptic tables of the new and old
romanization schemes with variants. Note that only those
romanization symbols which use diacritics or digraphs in one
scheme or other are listed; _b, d, f, g, h, i, k, l, m, n, p, r,
s, t, u, v, z_ are used with roughly their IPA values in all the
schemes.

/bpj

OVERVIEW OF ROMANIZATION SCHEMES FOR SOHLOB LANGUAGES

The schemes are, from left to right:

1.  _IPA:_ a key rather than a romanization scheme. Ties omitted
in affricates.
2.  _Narrow:_ mainly used in diachronic-phone*ic contexts.[5]
3.  _Broad:_ used in synchronic-grammatical contexts. Roughly
phonemic.
4.  _Simplified:_ used for names and terms in metalanguage
contexts (and in narrative fiction).
5.  _ASCII:_ useful for portable filenames and with really dumb
software.
6.  _ASCII-96:_ the old ASCII scheme from the nineties.
7.  _Latin-1:_ the old Latin-1 scheme from the nineties which I'm
finally abandoning.

Vowels

   IPA      Narrow   Broad   Simplified   ASCII   ASCII-96   Latin-1
   -------- -------- ------- ------------ ------- ---------- ---------
   æ        ä        ä       ä/ae         ae      ae         æ/ä
   a̽        â (a)    a       a            a       a          a
   ɒ        å        å       o/å          o/ao    o          o
   ɑ        ạ        ạ       a/á          a       a          a
   a        ą        ą       a/à          a       a          a
   ʌ        ë        ë       e/ë          e/eo    e          e
   ə        ê/ə      ê       e/ê          e       e          e
   e        ẹ        ẹ       e/é          e/ei    e          e
   ɛ        ę        ę       e/è          e/ea    e          e
   ɨ        î        î (ï)   ï/ie (î)     ie      e          e
   ɯ        ï        ï       ï/ie         ie/iu   e          e
   ø        ö        ö       ö/oe         oe      oe         ö
   ɵ        ô        ô       o/ô          o       o          o
   o        ọ        ọ       o/ó          o/ou    o          o
   ɔ        ǫ        ǫ       o/ò          o/oa    o          o
   ʉ        û        û       u/û          u/eu    u          u
   y        ü        ü       ü/ue         ue      ue         ü
   aː [6]   ā        ā       aa           aa      aa         aa/á
   ă [7]    ă        ă       a            ax      a          a

Consonants

   IPA   Narrow   Broad   Simplified   ASCII      ASCII-96   Latin-1
   ----- -------- ------- ------------ ---------- ---------- ---------
   tʃ    č        č       ch           ch         tj         c
   tɕ    ć        č       ch           ch (chy)   tj         c
   ʈʂ    c̣        č       ch           ch (chr)   tj         c
   ts    c        ċ       ts           ts         ts         ts
   dʒ    ǯ/ƶ̌      ǰ       j            j          dj         j
   dʑ    ʒ́/ƶ́      ǰ       j            j (jy)     dj         j
   ɖʐ    ʒ̣/ƶ̣      ǰ       j            j (jr)     dj         j
   dz    ʒ/ƶ      ż       dz           dz         dz         dz
   ʃ     š        š       sh           sh         sj         ç
   ɕ     ś        š       sh           sh (shy)   sj         ç
   ʂ     ṣ        š       sh           sh (shr)   sj         ç
   ʒ     ž        ž       zh           zh         zj         j
   ʑ     ź        ž       zh           zh (zhy)   zj         j
   ʐ     ẓ        ž       zh           zh (zhr)   zj         j
   β     ḇ        v̌       bh           bh         bb         v
   ð     ḏ        ḏ/ð     dh           dh         dd         ð
   ʁ     g̱/ḡ      ǧ       gh           gh         q          q
   ɸ     p̱/p̄      f̌       ph           ph         ff         f
   θ     ṯ        ṯ/þ     th           th         tt         þ
   χ     ḵ/ẖ      ȟ       kh           kh         x          x
   ʟ     ł        ł       ll           ll         ll         ll
   ʎ     ľ        ľ       l            l (lly)    l          l
   ȴ     ĺ        ľ       l            l (ly)     l          l
   ɮ     l̬        l       l            l (lh)     l          l
   ɲ     ñ        ñ       ny           ny (ngy)   ny         ny
   ȵ     ń        ñ       ny           ny         ny         ny
   ŋ     ŋ        ŋ       ng           ng         ng         ng
   ŋg    ŋg       ŋg      ngg          ngg        ngg        ngg
   j     y        y       y            y          y          y
   ɟ     ǵ        gʹ/ǵ    gy           gy         gj         gy
   c     ḱ/kʹ     kʹ/ḱ    ky           ky         kj         ky
   r̥     r̭/ṟ      r̭       hr           hr         hr         hr
   ɬ     ḽ/ḻ      ḽ       hl           hl         hl         hl
   m̥     m̭/m̱      m̭       hm           hm         hm         hm
   n̥     ṋ/ṉ      ṋ       hn           hn         hn         hn
   ɲ̊     ṋ̃/ṉ̃      ṋ̃       hny          hny        hny        hny
   ŋ̭̊     ŋ̭/ŋ̱      ŋ̭/ŋ̂     hng          hng        hng        hng
   ʍ     w̭/w̱      w̭       hw           hw         hw         hw
   ç     y̭/y̱      y̭/ŷ     hy           hy         hy         hy

Modifiers etc.

   IPA     Narrow   Broad   Simplified   ASCII    ASCII-96   Latin-1
   ------- -------- ------- ------------ -------- ---------- ---------
   ◌̃ [8]   ◌̃/ⁿ      ⁿ       m/n          ~/nn/n   ~          ~
   ʰ       ʿ/‘/h    h       ·h           'h/`h    'h         h
   ʲ       ʸ/ʹ      ʹ/y     y/·y         y        y          y
   ʷ       ʷ/°      ʷ/w     w            w        w          w
   - [9]   -        -       -            -        -          -
           ’ [10]   ’       ’            '        '          '
                            · [11]       '/`      '          (·)

[1] I always thought that for example the spelling _jdreg_ for the
Chidilib word for 'bridge' (now _ždreg_, Classical Sohlob
_äždräg_) looked somehow dyslectic.

[2] The diacritic shorthand phone*ics system is worth a tale in
its own right. I might write that some day.

[3] I'm almost ashamed to admit that the main reason for using
macron-below in longhand now is that I want to have room for more
combining marks in my custom keyboard on my Android tablet,
created with the Multiling O Keyboard[12], which really rocks,
never mind all those emoji which I don't use! :-)

[4] Which in origin is an upside-down *d*!

[5] Actually the longhand version of the diacritic scheme I've
been using for many years for phone*ic notation in shorthand.

[6] Vowel length

[7] Vowel shortness

[8] Nasalization. In Yahab nasalization is a feature of _words_
rather than of single phonemes. This is indicated with a prefixed
_ⁿ_, e.g. _ⁿriǵ_ [r̃ĩɲ] 'west'.

[9] Morpheme separator.

[10] Elision marker. In Classical Sohlob there isn't really any
difference between elision of unstressed vowels and non-insertion
of svarabhakti vowels; both are normally unmarked.

[11] Grapheme separator.

--
Mind the reply-to!