AUXLANG May 2016, Week 5

Re: Very few need an auxlang?

Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 May 2016 22:06:29 -0600

On 5/27/16, Scott Raney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I'm not convinced. For one thing, access or potential use isn't the
>> same thing as actual use: the fact that yak herders in Nowherestan can
>> communicate with executives of multinational corporations doesn't mean
>> they will do so. It especially doesn't suggest a wave of new
>> Nowherestani employees at multinationals. There are many poor people
>> in rich countries who know the necessary language(s) but still lack a
>> job. The problems are largely non-linguistic, though a global auxlang
>> would improve opportunity.

> This of course also assumes that the people in Nowherestan do not
> participate in international public policy decisionmaking. Which is
> certainly the case now, but I would claim is an assumption worth
> questioning: If they *could* participate at this level via an auxlang, for
> example, the economic issues would be vastly more likely to be addressed...

And if people could learn languages instantly, perfectly, and
permanently, that would would make quite a difference too. But we must
work with what we have, and several conditions would have to be met
before this democratic ideal could be realized:

1. At least one commonly accepted auxlang
2. Dictators and terrorists willing to yield to moral suasion and play nice
3. Masses who would actually care to participate despite the
self-evident fact that the kind of top-down system you envision would
actually disenfranchise them.
4. People who would submit to a government with tyrannical powers
(telling private groups such as businesses what to do) that would be
effectively unaccountable because the responsibility would be spread
over a few billion nameless, faceless voters.

You will probably say, "The government is us!" No: the government is
THEM. Out a few billion voters, practically everyone is someone else,
and practically no one is me. And since THEY make policy apparently
for everyone everywhere, THEY run things, not me.

If you want real democracy, it should be bottom-up, following
subsidiarity: Think Globally; Govern Locally. Keep all decisions as
close as possible to those most affected, tailoring laws and policies
to specific situations rather than imposing "one size fits all" laws
from a distance. Individuals have more power in small groups, so
that's where the decisions should be made. Then emphasize consensus
and cooperation among groups when you find you have to move higher up,
but always allow smaller groups as much autonomy as possible.

There would have to be some over-arching laws, such as free speech
(not the right to  be obnoxious on a whim, but the right to express
the truth as you see it) and mobility (the right to leave an area
where you feel oppressed or endangered). Of course that second one
would involve many complications that I won't address here.

>> Also, the existing infrastructures would not disappear. Even if the
>> Anglosphere vanished, English is too entrenched to fade away quickly.
>> Any major change would require several years, and most people don't
>> feel they have that long.

> I'd tweak that to say that that English *vocabulary* is too well entrenched
> to be displaced. To put it in economic terms, the value of all that stuff
> stored in the heads of the world's population is so great that it would be
> prohibitively expensive to not take advantage of it. But IMHO this doesn't
> apply to English spelling and grammar, which could be replaced much more
> easily if the new system was significantly easier to learn.

Languages are coherent organisms: some minor parts, such as words, can
be copied elsewhere, but the language itself is another matter. And
while English words have spread more than the language itself, the
language is thoroughly entrenched, if only because it's often the
neutral (non-native) alternative in a group of mutually competing
languages. That won't vanish quickly.

>> To combat hunger and poverty population growth should be addressed.
>>
>> Yes, by increasing it. Most First-World countries are reproducing
>> below replacement rate, which diminishes demand and devalues output,
>> leading to poverty. Also, fewer taxpayers means higher tax rates
>> without spending reforms, and Greece shows how that works.

> This is getting off topic, but I couldn't let this astounding statement go
> unchallenged. You've obviously bought into the Ponzi scheme that is our
> current civilization's resource usage policy: Consume *everything* and give
> very little consideration to sustainability or collective quality of life
> or the value of other species.

That is neither obvious nor (as a trivia note) true. We do need to
rein in consumerism and exercise proper stewardship of resources. The
problem is that society as currently organized requires a certain
number of people to keep it going, and we are experiencing a
demographic implosion that will take us below sustainability. Perhaps
we could organize civilization to work with fewer people, but that
shift would probably be as catastrophic as the collapse we're headed
for. Until that magic solution arises along with a relatively painless
way to implement it, we need to keep the current system going or be
responsible for a humanitarian crisis of probably unprecedented
proportions.

My prescription instead would be to
> *decrease* the worlds population by several orders of magnitude,

By death camps? By massive programs of forced sterilization and
abortion? What about dissidents?

Note that I don't believe you favor such things; I merely wonder
whether you've considered the implications of your program.

making
> resources abundantly available to that much smaller human population (i.e.,
> everybody gets to have a 10,000 square foot villa on a many thousands of
> acres in the country *and* a nice penthouse in the city) without
> compromising human sanity and the global environment.

I find it vaguely amusing that the incentive you offer is actually
more materialist and consumerist than anything I would consider, yet I
am supposedly the consumerist here.

You've unfortunately
> completely misdiagnosed the problem which has nothing to do with population
> but merely the result of allowing the wrong people to run the
> decisionmaking system (see above, and my site matchism.org).

Who decides who should run the decision-making system? And who decides
on who decides?

>> > By the way, are you confident that you will someday publish Inlis? When
>> > that could be?
>>
>> I've mentioned already that I've been meaning to explain the current
>> state of the project here. I simply dislike going public with an
>> incomplete proposal--it risks alienating potential users. But I have
>> resolved the vast majority of phonological, orthographic, and
>> importation problems, and the semantic and syntactic issues seem
>> resolvable as well. Somewhat like Toki Pona, Inlis has its own mindset
>> that I think will tend to encourage clear thinking, and once you've
>> adopted that mindset, the problems tend to resolve themselves.

> I look forward to seeing it. I would encourage you to reconsider "going
> public with an incomplete proposal". We're not "the public" and I think
> could provide some very useful criticism of your ideas prior to releasing
> the specification to the *actual* public, thereby improve the odds of
> success. Unless your claim is that your first public draft will be perfect
> and will never need to be updated, in which case I'd be happy to wait for
> that ;-)

The major problem is that I've made changes here and there without
updating all of my documentation. That would be rather confusing. I'm
also not quite sure about the order of presentation after phonology,
orthography, and importation rules. There are some questions about
numbers (especially ordinals and related issues) that I really want to
pursue, but they will probably require a lot of preparation, so I'll
likely have to defer  them. For that matter, I predict that my actual
starting point will annoy a lot of people: a brief rationale for the
project and, believe it or not, a backstory or founding myth to
explain where Inlis supposedly came from and thus where it's going.

I will be mentioning some alternatives to see whether I should have
taken another route in some areas, and I will point out weaknesses and
try to minimize their effects. No propaganda or whitewashing. We'll
see where it leads.

Steve