CONLANG  June 2016, Week 1

CONLANG June 2016, Week 1

Re: Experiences with Conlang Creation Course?

Dirk Elzinga <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Jun 2016 13:07:59 -0600

I team-taught a conlanging course last year. The jumping off point for the
course was Tolkien and his languages, but the bulk of the grade earned by
the students was for their own language creation work. The course was a
capstone course for the Linguistics BA, so there were some requirements
imposed on the course itself -- namely, that it be a culminating experience
for linguistics majors that drew on multiple aspects of the discipline, and
that it have a significant writing component.

In the course we went through the standard subdivisions of descriptive
linguistics (phonetics, phonology, morphology, etc). For each area we (i)
reviewed concepts, (ii) looked at Sindarin and Quenya to see what Tolkien
did, and then (iii) talked about options for students' projects in the form
of abbreviated typological surveys. Students were on their own for the
creative portion; everyone worked on a language individually--no group
projects. They turned in parts of the documentation (sounds, nouns, verbs,
syntax, etc) as we went along, with the end result of the collected
assignments being a grammatical sketch of their invented language.

The materials we used were photocopies of some of Tolkien's articles,
handouts that I generated, and the book The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the
Oxford English Dictionary. (Since, in my opinion, Tolkien's genius was in
his phonaesthetic sensibilities and etymological prowess rather than his
grammatical structures, we spent quite a bit of time talking about words.
The word studies in this book are wonderful little essays.) We did not use
a "how-to" book (e.g., Peterson, Rosenfelder) or a survey of invented
languages (e.g., Okrent, Adams): I don't know if that was a good idea or
not.

This was a semester-long course (14 weeks). We met three times a week for
50 minutes each time. That was a limitation imposed on us by The Powers
That Be. It didn't bother me and it worked out fine. I think I'd rather
have taught twice a week for 75 minutes at a time, but once a week would
have been too infrequent. I like having multiple contacts in a week with my
students.

I'm planning another conlanging capstone course in the near future
(probably next fall), but I'm going to do things a bit differently. I want
to include historical and sociological components to the course to provide
a little depth and self-awareness to the subject. I don't necessarily
expect it to inform their conlanging, but they ought to be aware of the
history and traditions (such as they are) of our community. And while
basing the students' grades on their creative work is my first choice, not
everyone was happy with having to "make up a bunch of funny words" (!). For
those students I'm providing a research paper option (20-30 pages) on some
aspect of invented languages (historical, typological, sociological,
political, etc).

Dirk