CONLANG  June 2016, Week 2

CONLANG June 2016, Week 2

Re: Chat: 20 Questions to ask a Conlanger

kechpaja <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:05:34 -0400

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 21:15:43 -0400
Gabriel Brinton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Who are you?

I post as "kechpaja" here, which I believe is globally unique. I'm not a huge fan of using a traditional name, especially in online communications. I'm an agender, AMAB linguistics and computer nerd a few years out of college.

> What are you working on?

Usually, I have a couple of different conlanging projects going on simultaneously — at the moment, the ones near the top of my stack are Maurang (an ergative, vaguely caucasian-sounding language spoken by islanders), Taru (inspired by both Hawai'ian and Finnish, with some syntactic peculiarities found in no natlang that I've ever encountered), and Taivẃni Diẃm (a language spoken by a highly stratified society, whose social classes use different coordinate systems). I tend to go for breadth before depth, so most of my projects aren't very thoroughly fleshed out.

> What's your L1? Your L2, L3, etc?

L1 English (Michigan, with some Northeast influences); L2s are German, Russian, Finnish, Arabic, Esperanto, Spanish, French, Swedish, and Klingon (in order of ability, from pretty fluent to just starting). I've dabbled in a few others languages as well, but haven't really retained them.

I speak German with a very obvious Swiss accent, since I learned the language in Switzerland, but I don't really speak Swiss German, other than a few words and expressions.

> What do you want from a conlang?

Fun, mostly. This is about making art for art's sake. Nobody is ever going to speak my conlangs, other than perhaps a few lines for fun.

> Naturalism or philosophical compatibility or usability?

I used to be a hard-core engelanger, but at this point in my life my tastes have shifted towards naturalism, often with some unusual or alien features sprinkled in.

Finnish is the obvious answer — I feel much the same way towards it that Tolkien did (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/172943-it-discovering-finnish-was-like-discovering-a-wine-cellar-filled-with), except for the fact that in real life I don't like wine.

> Who do you look up to? Tolkien or St. Hildegard von Bingen or someone more modern?

Well, most of the well-known conlangers are shorter than me, so... :)

In my experience, there are a lot of very talented conlangers out there, both modern and historical, with lots of cool ideas worth listening to and building off of. I don't like picking favorites.

> Do you put your language in a fictional context?

Sometimes. I rarely spend as much time on it as on the language, though.

> Are you down with nouns, or are you a verb nerb (alternatively, if you can't abide "nerb," and i wouldn't blame you, i'll accept "in lerb with verbs")?

I've created language sketches that lacked nouns almost entirely, and tried once to create one that lacked verbs entirely, but none of those projects got very far (both were engelangs). In practice, I tend to be pretty balanced, especially now that I've switched over to mostly creating naturalistic artlangs.

> Are you an armchair or faculty-office-chair linguist (whatever kind of chair _that_ is)?

Historically armchair, but I have an undergraduate degree in Linguistics, so I'm not really an amateur. I'll probably have a faculty office chair someday, but that's at least a decade down the road.

> Have you just finished, oh idk, defending a Master's thesis? :D

I'm currently getting ready to start a Master's program in the fall, actually, in Finnish and Related Languages. Writing this message is one way of procrastinating on the paperwork that I need to fill out to make sure that all of the logistics are taken care of for that.

> Reference grammars or texts and translations?

Reference grammars, definitely. It's hard to push myself to write long texts in a new language when there are cool grammatical structures to play with.

> Sounds or structures?

Both, but leaning towards structures probably.

> Grammar or lexicon??

Definitely grammar. My projects rarely end up having more than a few hundred words, even when the grammar is pretty thoroughly worked out.

> Coke or Pepsi?! (These are the hard-hitting questions.)

Peach or mango juice. Sprite or root beer, if it has to be a soda.

> How did you get into this?

When I was 13 years old, my family went on sabatical in Zürich, Switzerland, where I studied (High) German in a local school for a year with other foreign students. At the same time, I was also studying Latin via correspondence course. During winter break that year, I decided that, if I created my own version of Latin, I wouldn't have to learn it, since I would already know how it worked.

Of course, it didn't turn out the way I expected, and I quickly abandoned that project (which was probably for the better) for another, and then another, and so on. Not long after, I discovered Esperanto, which (in addition to Latin and German) heavily influenced my early conlangs.

> How did you find this group?

IIRC I saw archives of exchanges on this list in many of my early searches related to conlangs, and I certainly knew that this an other fora existed, but I didn't actually join the list until I decided to participate in my first relay, in my junior year of High School (probably during the fall of 2008 — I don't have email records going back that far). David Peterson was organizing the relay, and he recommended that I join this list in addition to the relay list when I asked the join the relay, so I did.

> And what drives you to continue making languages?

I love patterns, and languages are full of them (Sound changes, grammar, etc). Sometimes, I also use conlangs as vehicles for new vocabulary that I consider to be lacking in existing languages for topics that are important to me.

 - kechpaja -

--
kechpaja <[log in to unmask]>