PEM opprotunity in Washington DC

Kathleen Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:52:17 -0400

Academic PEM Faculty Position at Children’s National Health System in Washington DC

Children’s National Health System in Washington, DC is seeking energetic and enthusiastic PEM physicians for immediate opportunities to join our ever-evolving Division of Emergency Medicine at one of the nation’s leading pediatric hospitals. Children’s Emergency Medicine and Trauma Center is the only free standing children’s hospital in the area and serves as the only Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center in Washington, DC.

We currently have 42 Pediatric Emergency Physicians and 11 fellows. Our large and diverse faculty achieve academic success through clinical excellence, performance improvement, translational research, medical education and advocacy. We also employ pediatricians, nurse practitioners, and PAs. PEM faculty serve as faculty at George Washington University School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics. PEM physicians can take advantage of tuition remission opportunities at George Washington University.

Children’s National Health System has two Emergency Departments, a 40 bed ED located at our main campus and a 15 bed ED at United Medical Center in Southeast Washington, DC. Between the two campuses we have more then 130,000 pediatric ED visits a year. We also provide leadership and on line medical control for DC and Maryland EMS and our own Transport Medicine program, which includes an in-house helicopter transport system and a state-of-the-art communications center.

In addition to an exciting and challenging clinical program, our faculty are actively involved in major academic pursuits. We are one of six regional nodes for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN), which treats over 1 million pediatric patients per year at 18 hospitals. In addition to PECARN, we have federal funding to support research in the treatment of status epilepticus, research to improve the regional delivery of asthma care, and basic research on the genomics of asthma and sepsis. Our asthma research is the cornerstone of a multidisciplinary and multi-agency regional asthma center. Children’s National has dramatically increased its NIH funding over the last 17 years and is now in the top 10 in the nation for pediatric centers.

The Washington, DC area is a great place to live with a variety of options for lifestyle and recreation. In addition to numerous art museums, galleries, theatres and restaurants, DC has easy access to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the beaches of the Eastern Shore. The climate is mild with warm summers and snowy winters, along with beautiful falls and springs. Uniquely, as the home to the US government, DC offers numerous opportunities to be involved in advocacy work. DC is close to 3 major airports and easily accessible to NYC, Boston and Philadelphia by train.

Candidates who are board-eligible or board-certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine and interested in a stimulating, collaborative environment should apply.

For more information, please send your CV to:

Dr. Robert Freishtat or Dr. James Chamberlain
Division Chiefs, Emergency Medicine and Trauma Services
Ph: (202) 476-4177
Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html