CONLANG  July 2016, Week 1

CONLANG July 2016, Week 1

Re: Chat: 20 Questions to ask a Conlanger

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Jul 2016 15:20:49 +0200

On 11 June 2016 at 03:15, Gabriel Brinton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ¡Hola, idiomateros!

Welcome to the list! I'm a bit late in reacting, but I was on holidays :).

> I'm pretty new to the list, and i've already given a cursory introduction
> for my part, but i want to know more about who else is on here. Someone has
> probably made an intro thread before, but this list is overdue for one, so
> imma try and start a fun thread: Let's play 20 Questions!

Wow! Tumblr culture has reached the list, finally :P.

> And by 20 Questions, i mean that i just typed up a bunch of get-to-know
> you questions for you all, and realized at the end i had exactly 20
> (although it appears segmenting a string of questions for counting is a
> non-trivial problem). Huzzah!
>
> Who are you?

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets, child, man, gay, husband, dog owner,
language geek, conlanger, French, Dutch, polyglot, super hero by day,
President of the Language Creation Society by night. No, really.

> What are you working on?

At the moment? I'm just back from holidays on the sunny island of Corfu, so
I'm not working on anything yet (except for the super hero stuff. Wow what
a backlog I have there!) :).

Oh, you meant what conlangs are currently being worked on and off by me in
the last few months? Well, I'm mostly known for Moten, but I've taken a
sabbatical from it and I've been working on a new language called Haotyétpi
in the last year or so. It's a fun new toy I created to experiment with
language features I've been reading on but couldn't realistically add to
Moten, like applicatives, noun incorporation, uncertain alignments, and
other fun stuff.

> What's your L1? Your L2, L3, etc?

Mmm... This question is surprisingly difficult for me to answer. Although I
was born and grew up in France, French is not the language I use most
nowadays, and it's not the language I express myself best in. Neither is it
English, which is the second language I learned. Rather, it's Dutch, my
fifth language in order of learning, but my main language in terms of
actual use. So, since order of learning for me does not correlate well with
ability to use, the terms L1, L2, etc... do not sit well with me. Rather, I
speak about the languages I am fluent in (Dutch, English, French), the
languages I am conversational in (Modern Greek, Spanish, Esperanto), the
languages I have basic knowledge of (Japanese), and the many languages I
know about but cannot speak a word (Basque, Ainu, etc.).

> What do you want from a conlang?

Do you mean one I'm creating or one that was created by someone else? If
it's one I'm creating, I want to have fun creating it. That's about it. If
it's one that was created by someone else, I have no special expectations.
Let it talk to me in its own special way :).

> Naturalism or philosophical compatibility or usability?

I'm very much an artlanger and squarely in the naturalistic camp. Not that
I dislike philosophical languages, loglangs, engelangs or auxlangs, and I
enjoy reading about them. I just don't have the specific drive needed to
create them. I do like to research the limits of language, but by working
from inside the set of possible human languages, not from outside.

> Do you have a language crush, whether nat or con?

Closest to that would be Basque, although lately Ainu comes in second place
:). Japanese is another language crush. I'm very much polyamorous when it
comes to languages :).

> Who do you look up to? Tolkien or St. Hildegard von Bingen or someone more
> modern?

I don't "look up to" people. I appreciate people's creativity and drive,
and can be impressed by people's achievements, but I lack the "admiration"
gene...

> Do you put your language in a fictional context?

Moten is well-known for having the flimsiest excuse for a fictional
context, just enough so that I could be free to do whatever I wanted with
the language, and many of my other conlangs don't really have a fictional
context at all. Haotyétpi does have one, but it's secondary to the language
itself, and I'm only developing enough of the conculture associated with it
in order to be able to keep developing the language itself.

> Are you down with nouns, or are you a verb nerb (alternatively, if you
> can't abide "nerb," and i wouldn't blame you, i'll accept "in lerb with
> verbs")?

I like both, but it depends on the language. In Moten, nouns take
centre-stage, with even the verbs using mostly noun morphology. In
Haotyétpi, on the other hand, verbs are much more central, and the many
nominalisation strategies allows them to be used where other languages uses
nouns. You can see it very clearly in how the languages handle adjectives.
Neither Moten nor Haotyétpi have adjectives as a separate part of speech.
But while in Moten, adjectives are just nouns used in apposition to other
nouns, in Haotyétpi they are stative intransitive verbs used like any other
verb.

> Are you an armchair or faculty-office-chair linguist (whatever kind of
> chair _that_ is)?

I haven't studied linguistics in a university. I am an engineer by
education. My knowledge of linguistics comes purely from self-study.
Doesn't mean I cannot hold my own against linguists though :P.

> Have you just finished, oh idk, defending a Master's thesis?

My diploma is 15 years old, so no :P.

> :D Reference grammars or texts and translations?

Reference grammars and fully-glossed texts in beautiful interlinears :).

> Sounds or structures?

What about sound structures, i.e. phonotactics? Anyway, languages are
systems of systems, so structures it is, even in sounds.

> Grammar or lexicon??

Grammar. I'm very bad at creating lexicon. It just does not interest me
that much, even though it's so important! It's working only on the Moten
lexicon for two years that burned me out so much I had to start a new
language.

> Coke or Pepsi?! (These are the hard-hitting questions.)

I don't drink carbonated drinks whatsoever (except the odd glass of
champagne in New Year's Eve). They give me tummy aches...

> How did you get into this?

I was bored in Latin classes in high school, and thought it would be fun to
pass the time by creating my own language. I had heard *about* Esperanto,
so I knew creating languages was something that at least 1 person had done,
but I had no idea what it looked like. Needless to say, my first attempts
were sort of like regularised Latin :). Interestingly, I wasn't aware of
Tolkien until much later.

> How did you find this group?

Well, back in 1997 (wow, nearly 20 years ago!), I got on the Internet for
the first time, and nearly immediately looked for stuff about Esperanto.
Through there, I slowly discovered that there were other people that also
created languages, and not only for international communication (I
initially thought I was the only one doing that stuff just for fun), that
there was a name for this activity, and finally I discovered the Conlang
Mailing List. I joined it nearly immediately, and the rest is history :).

> And what drives you to continue making languages?

It's fun, and it's what my creativity drives me to do. Stop creating
languages? You could just as well ask me to stop breathing!

> I really want to get a better sense of this community, who's here, and
> what you all do.

Hope this helps then :).

> This is a lot of questions, but i am unrepentent! >:D

Good for you! These were fun questions.

Cheers,
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets