CONLANG  April 2017, Week 3

CONLANG April 2017, Week 3

Re: unusual phonological features?

Katerina <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Apr 2017 21:25:32 +0300

*< And how would a human go about becoming assimilated?*

(not sure whether this would be off-topic here) a human could only be
assimilated with their own consent, i.e. they would have to approach the
t'elχ and ask to join, or at any rate to not be opposed to the prospect.
for example, if a person dying of an incurable illness or injury found
themselves close to the colony, the t'elχ could decide to treat them by
reshaping their body and he or she would then be given a second chance as
part of the t'elχ super-organism. cross-species assimilation was a rare
event; over the history of the collective entity, which spanned several
millennia, there were as few as nine or perhaps ten assimilated humans.

the human would be put into a state equivalent to deep general anaesthesia,
worked into a protective structure akin to a silkworm pupa/cocoon and
rebuilt from the inside out, down to the dna. i like the idea of one's
internal organs turned into liquid and solidified in a completely different
form a la arthropod metamorphosis. i know there is no adequate scientific
explanation for how a higher mammal could survive the process, all the more
so if aspects of their personality and consciousness were to be preserved,
which implies that some of the original neurological structuring would need
to remaine intact, but we would rather keep the sci-fi aspect softer and
focus on the character development instead, so this shouldn't be a problem.

the creation of the new t'elχ constituent would take about two months if
they were going to be fully immersed into the collective consciousness and
up to six if they had to retain partial individuality. in the first case,
they would no longer have their original sense of self, but their
personality would affect the shared character of the t'elχ entity, which
has a dynamic, fluid quality and shifts whenever a new human joins
(technically, it's constantly changing and developing because it is the sum
total - and then some - of every constituent, including the juvenile native
t'elχ being born into the collective). one's prior knowledge and memories
would be retained, but one's perspective on them would be drastically
altered and one would lose the awareness of oneself as the subject of those
memories, or the "self" who had experienced them.