Re: Internal Reconstruction Question

The Scribbler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Apr 2017 03:27:06 +0000

Yes, it's true! I was trying to avoid the weird in an attempt to make sense without writing a whole book.

I do think there are definite signs of there being originally two slots, the first for topic and the second for a core argument, but suffice to say, Akachenti, the conlang, excels at lopping off extra syllables when not absolutely required and always elides partial reduplication. So if two syllables in a row are identical, one of them goes. (It should technically be Akachenenti.)

It would make a whole lot of sense that they simply moved from sometimes merging to eventually usually fully merging. The second slot resurfaces in prefixed auxiliary verbs and preverbs, but is only used when the referent is nontopical.

Synchronically, things get messy. There are actually four main person-marking slots generally available on a verb and which one gets used for which argument varies based on topicalization and TAM a bit, and a bit on prosody, but once everything's factored in, it's not actually really optional which slot gets used for which. That said, the four slots and potential uses:

* topic + agent/patient/oblique: the first vowel occurring before the lexical root

* agent/patient: the first vowel within a lexical root

* patient/oblique: the first vowel in a suffix or closing half of a circumfix
* agent/patient/causer: the last vowel of a word

Example: in the word obrageshi, each vowel meets the criteria of one of the above slot definitions, respectively. Also, this can sometimes create a fifth slot in the case of incorporation due to multiple transparent lexical roots within a single word, but that's an exception. Compound lexical roots function as a single lexical root and only provide one slot.

The third slot is often but not always present as not all verbs are affixed before inflecting.

The first slot is always reserved for the topic. As a rule, the patient goes in the first slot, but can be swapped with another slot by use of stress to topicalize another argument and plain gets bumped to the second slot when nontopical and not forced elsewhere by prosody and the available mutable vowels.

Which requires mentioning vowel type. (This is why I usually narrow down my explanations, alas.) So there are three kinds of lexically defined vowels:

* mutable (can be replaced with an alternate vowel for person-marking purposes),

* inflecting (can be replaced with another vowel or two, usually the other member of a vowel pair, e.g. a/e or o/u, but cannot be simply changed to any vowel required),

*fixed (cannot be changed or elided, though short fixed vowels can be stressed)

The most common verbs are "a + verb root + o" by default with a-o functioning as mutable vowels for person-marking. These are not part of the root. Verbs with peripheral or long vowels in the root however do not have the default mutable vowels and provide almost all of the messy exceptions. Sadly, this class is rather large and remains open. These create rather complex person-marking rules. Then throw in there that person-markers don't inherently distinguish between multiple arguments of the same person (e.g. she hit him), so that has a couple more rules about which slot gets the stress.

And last prereq for explanation is topicalization:

* question particles come first and are always considered topical when present

* if no topic marker is present, the topic is the verb itself
* in all other cases, the topic is marked with a person-marking vowel

So an example of an oblique topic is "Obrakhíata." The word-final a is the agent, in this case "we", and the patient-marked i is a previously defined referent (in the scope of a conversation) to a 3rd person "it" action. That leaves the o in front referring to a benefactive or dative. Basically (and slightly poorly) translated, this word/sentence means, "For you, we're not doing it/going to be subordinate." And trying to make that serial verb fit in English is awful, but that'll have to do. In English, we'd include a for. In Akachenti, it just says "you".

Sometimes for clarity, an oblique will be topicalized by simply attaching the person marker to the appropriate noun and the noun fronted, then the marker repeated on the verb. This allows differentiation between multiple arguments of the same person, though there are other ways to pull it off when combining the four slots different ways (complex person markers, where multiple person markers have to be understood in combination).

If a verb does not have maximum slots and the sentence requires them to be grammatical, an auxiliary "to do" verb, "b(V)-" is prefixed or an agentive suffix can sometimes be added. This is lexically conditioned. Typically verb roots ending in a short fixed vowel take an agentive affix "-k(V)", and mutable verb roots or those ending in a long fixed vowel take the prefixed pro-verb. A small handful of verbs allow both. It gives 1-2 additional vowels to work with and some additional stress patterns. This allows negative infixing (the -r- in obrakhíata) or a second slot for a core argument when an oblique argument gets topicalized.

An instrumental is never topicalized on the verb without the explicit noun being fronted first to refer to (it defaults to 3rd slot when present with an instrumental affix). A dative/benefactive can be marked without an explicit referent. A causer, like the agent, tends to final position. In cases where the causer should be topical, a serial verb construction is used where basically the causative clause is made a sentence with the causee patient-marked to match the agentive in the base situation.

That feels like a messy, overly complex (and still possibly insufficient) explanation, but I did stop working on defining the rules exhaustively when I realized I wanted room to change them in case protolanging made any of it obsolete. Oblique topicalization is an area I haven't really decided I fully understand yet.

As for meaning of person-marking choice, every choice does mean something, whether subtly or vastly different, but I didn't actually mean when you "optionally" wanted to mark the first slot as patient. I just didn't outline the conditions that require it, which includes relative clauses (though those take fronted alternate vowels rather than stressed vowels, very much like English's genitive relative clauses "my verbing you"), additional arguments/affixation, or TAM. For example, the imperative requires a stressed patient-marking vowel. But I didn't want to throw out a paradigm here, especially as there's no one verb I've actually fully built out the paradigm for (the forms are legion and I'm still figuring some things out).

"_ágato_ topic is patient, _agató_ nontopic core argument is patient, _agato_ there is no patient in this clause."

This was in fact the basic system I thought I had before the imperative basically coopted the first form, but it's a good thing for me to consider. Intransitive is a bit of a beast in that my first example verb I worked out was "ashi".

So "áshi" was a slang expression, lit. "eat me", but best translated to English as "bite me" or "come at me" or in fact "just try it." Then "ashí" meant "I eat (it)." Thus "ashi" is more likely to mean "it eats (at) me" or "I'm eaten." Though I've never actually sat down and evaluated whether that's a metaphor in this language. Completely unstressed though is surprisingly uncommon (it took me forever to actually acknowledge it was a thing as I've never spoken or worked with a language with unstressed sentences before this conlang), and I suspect my tendency to evaluate it this way came from the imperative growing out of the imprecative prosody (similarly glottalic emphasis), but technically all of these examples are also transitive. I forgot until I was literally typing this how often Akachenti inserts a dummy object instead of leaving the verb truly intransitive.

(Which could explain why I have what looks like a split-S language, if true intransitives are a lot fewer than I thought they were. I might actually have a formerly ergative language that's just not very recognizable as such due to the heavy erosion of case marking and freestanding nouns/pronouns. Which is also a scary thought. I think I'll shelve that until proven relevant.)

Some of the short "auxiliary" and copular verbs (all of which I presume are older, especially as most consist of a single fixed consonant and a mutable vowel) are also unstressed completely unless being used to oblique mark a topic, so could be the base system is and ought to be "unstressed is always patientless." But there's also complex person markers like the a-a marker in agata being the reciprocal or reflexive. Distinguishing between the reciprocal and reflexive can optionally be done by stressing one of the vowels to indicate differentiation between agent/patient. But I kind of omitted complex person markers from this already too long-winded explanation because it's already too long-winded. I think I'll leave the unmarked patient as something I'm prepared to change and just shelve it for now. I don't know if the imperative (and whatever other conditions I might be forgetting just now) is enough to displace the marking hierarchy and I'm not actually overly attached to it.

I am overly attached to the alternate vowel forms so thank you for that very neat analysis because it makes a whole lot of sense and gives me a good idea of backtracking with subparadigm and analogy.

Tbh, I haven't figured out whether vowel raising or lowering is involved because of stress being retracted and glottalized, which is likely to cause vowel-lowering (and i/e/a/u followed by lowering is attested in an excellent natlang example), but then i/e/a/o would let the e displace to let a rise and split and send e into the i region, which could explain ae / e / i showing weird overlaps in their histories. But I have figured out that it's one of them and that figuring out diachronic prosody is my answer to most problems pronoun.

Right now, I'm thinking those elided consonants were possibly uvular, as that's in keeping with the general phonology pattern, the k that shows up in the agentive suffix used with short-fixed-vowel-final verbs, and with vowel lowering, but if vowel-raising turns out the better analysis (in keeping with primary person markers being the lower versions, not the raised versions), then it's likely something else, like a palatal, which is also plausible with the phonology. I'm kind of stuck really digging into both possible avenues into the current vowel set because there's no way I can work with diphthongs in sister languages without nailing down the vowel shifts that led to "modern" Akachenti.

Sorry for getting SO long-winded! And I hope it made any sense. I've not been at my most articulate this week, and some of this stuff I've never tried to explain in-depth before.