CONLANG  April 2017, Week 4

CONLANG April 2017, Week 4

Re: basic color terms in conlangs

Leo Moser <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:54:46 -0700

I'm not sure how this message came out in an odd format, and with insertions. I'm deleting all the strange things and resending.        LEO
Leo Moser comments and asks a few questions:
The color system of a conlang can be linked to its number system. This can (among other things) provide mnemonic value.
Have any of you created a conlang with such linkage?
I have used the concept, as some of you may recall, in Bahasan. Ten basic colors (white, black, and grey among them) lined up with each of the ten digits. (Also for eleven and twelve.)

Colors have, I believe, been linked to letters of the alphabet by several designers of fonts and the like. Some advocates have felt that such linking could lead to ease in reading, or to greater semantic clarity.
Have any of you done that?
Do any of you have records of such proposals? I don't recall all the traffic on this issue.

I find full color linkage to either the alphabet or the vocabulary of either a natlang or a human conlang to be very hard to implement. A slight bit in the basic vocabulary for children might be done, but I'm not sure of the value for everybody. The link to numbers may be of value.
Reliance on color to supply semantic value in human language is IMO dangerous, since we are not all alike. Is good a different color than bad? Once upon a time slave owners in the southern USA considered white to be good, black to be bad. This echoed in phrases like “That’s mighty white of you!” meaning “That’s mighty good (or kind) of you!”

If we were logical, we might call the white race the beige race. Only the bloodless dead might end up with a white face. And the so-called black race has skin colors in the range of browns, not black itself. Ideas of a yellow race and that of redskins are even wilder, but all this shows the tendency to use color as a classifier, little related to reality.
English and other languages have usages like “His future looked black” or “That’s a black mark against you.” These may not be racist, but they tie a color to what I call a ‘semantic pole.’ Specifically they tie the color black to things negative. There can be some logic here, for the night is the absence of sunlight. Black is in fact the absence of visible light.
Green gets ties to unripe, although green fruit may actually be yellow. Moreover, we have: “green with envy.” And things like: “they gave the project a green light.”

Other usages: the yellow coward, singing the blues, are not just in English. A girl baby is associated with pink, a boy with light-blue (a color separate from darker blue in many languages—just as English speakers tend to consider pink as if separate from red.)
Many factors in our world limit tying color close to semantics. There are several forms of what is called 'color blindness.' And then there are those of us with things like the various forms of synesthesia and ideaesthesia. There is even ‘grapheme-color synesthesia.’ Not all this human variation is inherently defective. (Vive la différence.)

However, our non-human artlangs need not worry about such matters. We can, for example, design an artlang’s colors to correspond to parts of the spectrum invisible to humans. Humans are more limited in spectrum than even some of the Earthly species around us, like pigeons and butterflies. (All hail the proverbial ‘birds and bees’—and the flowers that attract them!)
Do any of your artlangs have aliens (or super humans) who can see colors off toward the ultraviolet or infrared?

Linking numbers to the alphabet is probably as old as the concept of alphabetic order. There is possible value in this in terms of conlang vocabulary. However, as a system to create numerical values, the Latin numerals (like the Greek) left a lot to be desired. The so-called 'Arabic numerals' now are virtually world-wide in mathematics. (We must be thankful to the Hindic mathematicians for our use of a positional zero, though the Mayans had developed it, too.)
Best regards to all,              LEO