CONLANG  May 2017, Week 1

CONLANG May 2017, Week 1

Fanlangs

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 May 2017 08:09:29 -0400

By "FANLANGS" (is that a word?  is that a word yet?) I mean a conlang
created by fans for fannish purposes.

A fanlang could be inspired by a brief naming language in a book.  Perhaps
a film has a few lines of dialogue.  Perhaps the conlang already exists but
it just has to be fleshed out or documented.

What makes a good fanlang?  And what languages deserve to have their own
fanlangs?

Now, I think about this concept quite a bit, since I not only have to look
closely at the Martian words that I find (like kadar "guard") but also
untranslated concepts which exist but for which I have no Martian ("the
Sarmaks' heat-ray," "the Assassins' Guild of Zodanga," "canals").

Off of the top of my head, here are some possibilities for fanlangs, in
alphabetic order.  Feel free to add your own ideas.

ATLANTEAN

I must admit, Atlantis is one part of myth of which I don't think too
much.  Unlike Mars or Narnia or the Ringworld which can contain an infinite
number of stories, Atlantis mostly just has one story: It was really cool,
and then it explod-ama-ded.

But that doesn't mean that someone else could come up with something
interesting.  After all, didn't Doctor Who visit Atlantis ... um ... twice
by now?

Of course, we have two sketches for an Atlantis language.  Marc Okrand (of
Klingon fame) created a version for the Disney film, and Tolkien created
Adunaic for Numinor.  Either of those languages could be fleshed out into
fanlangs.  Or perhaps one could create a whole new language that
incorporates elements of both of these.

Are there any other island languages that are similar?  Hmmm ... I think
Saint Thomas More had some words (and an alphabet) for Utopia.

AUI

aUI is the language of Doctor Weilgart.  The language is based on about 31
phonetic bits, each of which is assigned a meaning.  This is coupled with a
Germanic grammar to create an unusual but workable language.

This is a language that would be fun to revive, though the revival would be
fannish in nature.  One difficulty would be in creating a database.  Some
aUI words only exist in the English-aUI side of the glossary, some only on
the aUI-English side ... some only exist in footnotes, or in the etymology
section, or in one of the appendices.  Sometimes the same word has
different spellings, and sometimes there are variations of the grammar.

So, it would be the tasks of the fans to collect all of this data and
standardize it.  But it would be fun to do ...

GALACH and FREMEN

Galach is the language of the Imperium in the Dune Universe, and Fremen is
the language of the Zensummi warriors of Arrakis.  Names and a few elements
of these languages can be found in the Dune novels.  For instance, Galach
seems to be a distant descendant of an English-Russian hybrid.  "na-" is a
prefix meaning "heir."

In the Dune Encyclopedia, if I remember right, Mr. John Quijada provides
some details about both of the Galach and Fremen language.

KALUSA

Kalusa was a joint conlang project from once upon a time.  I think that
much of the original data still exists if someone wanted to go through it
and extract words and grammar and recreate the language.

I dunno.  I just think that would be cool.

KASH

Kash is a fully-developed language by the late Mr Roger Mills.

I would love to see a revival of the language. Perhaps someone could take
all of the material and create a series of lessons on it.  We do have a
fairly long story in the language which could serve as a reading.

Kash is cool (kewl?).  One can find it here:

http://cinduworld.tripod.com/contents.htm

KZINTI

Kzinti, or "The Heroes' Tongue," is the language of the feline warriors in
Larry Niven's Known Space series.  We're given quite a number of names by
both Niven and some of his co-writers, along with a few details about the
language: the Kzinti use octal counting, there's "an intransitive mode,"
and a "mode for speaking to slaves."

One question that I have: is the -i plural ending (as in one Kzin, two
Kzinti, one Kzinrett, two Kzinretti) actually a part of the Kzinti
language?  For we also find one Bandersnatch, two Bandersnatchi.  Perhaps
the -i ending is part of One Human Language (Interworld?) which Louis Wu
remembers having to learn in his youth.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the -i ending is part of both Kzinti
and Humanese.

Until someone tells me otherwise, I assume that men in Known Space speak
Space Volapuk.

We're also given a few details of the language of the City Builders of the
Ringworld -- some names and a few words like "scrith" and "flup."  In "The
Ringworld Throne" we learn that there are prefixes to indicate the animacy
of nouns, that is, there's a difference between a vampire and a Vampire.

LAPINE

Lapine, the rabbit language of "Watership Down" may belong under the list
of honorable mentions since there is, to my knowledge, at least one fairly
substantial fanlang of it.

LINGUA IGNOTA

So, what would the Grandmother of all Conlangs really be like?  We have a
lot of nouns, but what about other parts of speach?  We do have one mixed
Latin-Ignota sentence out there.

MINBARI

Before there were the Lord of the Rings films, we had Babylon Five, which
was essentially The Lord of the Rings ... IN SPACE!

And we even had Space Elves, the Minbari, who spoke Space Quenya.  Minbari.

We get lots of names in Minbari, lots of concepts, and bits of words like
n'kai ("boot" or "father"), as well as a few sentences.  In a few scenes we
see a Minbari font which was just used to write English.  Sometimes the
actors just spoke Russian and gibberish was transposed over it.  Still,
there may be the beginning of a language in there.

NARNIAN

I've thought a lot about Narnian, but I don't really have a theory on
what's going on.

Uncle Andrew speaks Atlantean at one point -- is this Adunaic, Old Solar,
or something else?

The first King and Queen of Narnia are Englishmen.  So, is the Narnian of
the time of King Peter a long-lost descendant of English?  We do get other
visitors to Narnia from Earth, and Narnia does seem to have Welsh-y names
for a few places.

Does Calormen have its own language?  It certainly has its own literary
tradition.

So ... Narnian.  Not sure what to make of it.

OZZIAN

Like Narnian, I'm not sure what to make of the language or languages of
Oz.  We may have a few elements here and there -- Glinda/Glenda ...
Munch-ling, Quad-ling.  I just assume that whoever gets translated to Oz
(or Narnia) also has his language translated, since these are magical
places.

Given the number of visitors to Oz from our world, it's possible that
Ozzian is a descendant of one of our languages.  One theory that I have is
that long ago the Faeries of Oz visited Earth, learnt Ancient Greek, and
even had an Empress named Dorotheia, which is why, so many centuries later,
they seem eager to help a strange who came from the heavens with the name
Dorothy.

Now, we know that somehow Oz is related to the country of Saint Nicholas --
Santa does dine with Ozma.

In one of Jose Philip Farmer's novels, if I remember right, we learn that
Ozzian is a Germanic language ... I think???

YILANE

Yilane is the dinosaur language from Harry Harrison's series "West of
Eden."  We're given names, a sentence, and a glossary of this language.  It
seems to be a very complex language based upon words, signs, and gestalts,
and I'm not sure what to make of it.

But it seems like it could inspire someone.

So, here a few ideas possibilities that came to me for fanlangs -- for
languages that have existed, or which partially exist, or which could exist.

What other languages deserve their own fanlangs?