CONLANG  May 2017, Week 1

CONLANG May 2017, Week 1

Re: Fanlangs

Wesley Parish <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 May 2017 12:48:40 +1200

There's also the Tanu language in the West of Eden trilogy. Very few notes, but still a basis ...

Brian Aldiss in the Helliconia trilogy has some very minor fragments of the Phagor/ancipital eotemporal
(dawn-time) language. but it's primarily a naming language; likewise Helliconian Olonets, though he
does provide an origin for the name olonets - olle onets : ten tribes and he does offer some historical
development for Embruddock from Hrrm-Bhhrd-Ydohk, the Phagorian name. He also has a set of
protognostics ranging in value from homo erectines to homo Neandertalensis and describes the Madi -
the neandertal-analogues - as singing their language.

FWIW

Wesley Parish

Quoting Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]>:

> By "FANLANGS" (is that a word? is that a word yet?) I mean a conlang
> created by fans for fannish purposes.
>
> A fanlang could be inspired by a brief naming language in a book.
> Perhaps
> a film has a few lines of dialogue. Perhaps the conlang already exists
> but
> it just has to be fleshed out or documented.
>
> What makes a good fanlang? And what languages deserve to have their own
> fanlangs?
>
> Now, I think about this concept quite a bit, since I not only have to
> look
> closely at the Martian words that I find (like kadar "guard") but also
> untranslated concepts which exist but for which I have no Martian ("the
> Sarmaks' heat-ray," "the Assassins' Guild of Zodanga," "canals").
>
> Off of the top of my head, here are some possibilities for fanlangs, in
> alphabetic order. Feel free to add your own ideas.
>

> ATLANTEAN
>
> I must admit, Atlantis is one part of myth of which I don't think too
> much. Unlike Mars or Narnia or the Ringworld which can contain an
> infinite
> number of stories, Atlantis mostly just has one story: It was really
> cool,
> and then it explod-ama-ded.
>
> But that doesn't mean that someone else could come up with something
> interesting. After all, didn't Doctor Who visit Atlantis ... um ...
> twice
> by now?
>
> Of course, we have two sketches for an Atlantis language. Marc Okrand
> (of
> Klingon fame) created a version for the Disney film, and Tolkien
> created
> Adunaic for Numinor. Either of those languages could be fleshed out
> into
> fanlangs. Or perhaps one could create a whole new language that
> incorporates elements of both of these.
>
> Are there any other island languages that are similar? Hmmm ... I think
> Saint Thomas More had some words (and an alphabet) for Utopia.
>
> AUI
>
> aUI is the language of Doctor Weilgart. The language is based on about
> 31
> phonetic bits, each of which is assigned a meaning. This is coupled with
> Germanic grammar to create an unusual but workable language.
>
> This is a language that would be fun to revive, though the revival would
> be
> fannish in nature. One difficulty would be in creating a database. Some
> aUI words only exist in the English-aUI side of the glossary, some only
> on
> the aUI-English side ... some only exist in footnotes, or in the
> etymology
> section, or in one of the appendices. Sometimes the same word has
> different spellings, and sometimes there are variations of the grammar.
>
> So, it would be the tasks of the fans to collect all of this data and
> [...]

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn