CONLANG  May 2017, Week 1

CONLANG May 2017, Week 1

Re: Proto-Avelian: A Plausible Ancestor to WSL

J S Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 May 2017 23:43:09 -0400

On Sat, 6 May 2017 19:27:00 -0600, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Despite that fact that WSL (which, after all, originally stood for
>"weird syntax language"), though surprising *usable*, was never
>intended to be the sort of language that could plausibly evolve, after
>a year-and-a-half of subconscious noodling I think I have the
>beginnings of a plausible path through which something very much like
>WSL actually could evolve from current languages.
>
>The key is to strip away most of the grammatical complexity of some
>more normal language, and then buildup the very different categories
>of WSL "from scratch", while keeping around enough complexity to make
>the intermediate form a still-usable, still complete language. That
>last part is the hard bit, and requires an answer to "what is the
>simplest possible language?" As has happened many times in he external
>history of WSL, this leads me back to considering David Gil's
>theoretical ideal of the Isolating-Monocategorial-Associative
>language. In homage, when I get around to *properly* documenting this,
>I'm thinking I shall title the article/paper/thing _How Much Grammar
>Do You Need to Sail a Starship?_
>
>From a language which is close to that ideal, having large stretches
>of purely IMA-style language even if they are embedded in the
>framework of a more complex language, it should be fairly easy to
>develop something like the so-far-unnamed "sister language to WSL"
>which I described on my blog a little over a year ago
>(http://gliese1337.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-sister-language-for-wsl.html).
>I recently discovered/invented the fact that the fictional star system
>in which WSL is spoken is named Aveli, and thus WSL and related
>dialects are part of an Avelian language family, which means that I
>can now name this simple intermediate language Proto-Avelian.
>
>I think I may have made mention of this sketch on-list as well, but I
>am not sure. Either way, it's been a while, and the blog is extremely
>technical, so here's a quick run down of Proto-Avelian's mechanics:
>
>There are only 2 types of syntactic node: the clause, and the phrase.
>A phrase is one or more words, where every word heads a phrase which
>contains all following words up to an ending phrase boundary; A clause
>is a syntactically flat collection of phrases.

Does this mean that, while a clause is linear, phrase syntax is recursive? Are multi-clause constructions also linear?

>There are no special function words which serve to mark phrase or
>clause boundaries (or at least, there don't *have* to be; it's not
>actually necessary to eliminate all function words, and it might be
>useful to have a few slip through and provide an archaic origin for
>some of WSL's function words, but I'm going to hold off and add those
>in later). Rather, structural information i encoded in suprasegmental
>intonation; a rising tone followed by a sharp drop on the next word
>marks an intra-clausal phrase boundary, while a falling tone marks the
>end of a clause. Rising-falling contours over a single word mark
>pragmatic focus, which is important for certain focus-sensitive
>lexical items.
>
>In syntactic terms, word order within a phrase and phrase order within
>a clause are both completely free. Altering word order can change
>literal meaning (not just things like topicalization), but there are
>no syntactic limitations on which words can appear where, and thus no
>syntactic grounds for identifying different parts of speech. In other
>words (at least until I get around to adding function words back in,
>if I do), any string of Proto-Avelian words is a valid Proto-Avelian
>sentence.
>
>Each phrase denotes a set of referents, rather like a noun phrase, and
>each clause expresses a proposition about some event which all of the
>phrasal referents are involved in. Words can be divided into several
>semantic classes based on what they say about the referent of the
>phrase they are in, and the identity of the clause-level event.
>
>1. Words which assert some quality of the referent itself; e.g., it is
>red, it is tall, it is human, it is a toy,it is a run, it is a kick,
>etc.
>
>2. Words which assert some relation between the phrasal referent, and
>the clausal event; e.g., that it is the agent, that it is the
>location, that they are equal (i.e., that all of the descriptors in
>that phrase are actually describing the event), etc.
>
>3. Words which assert some relationship between the referent of the
>phrase they head and the referent of the sub-phrase which they
>dominate, other than identity; e.g., father, mother, former, wannabe,
>of, behind, inside, etc.

Does "the sub-phrase which they dominate" consist of the remaining words in the same phrase?

>4. Words which restrict the cardinality of the set of referents (i.e.,
>quantifiers); e.g., five, most, some, etc.
>
>5. Words similar to category 1, but which directly describe the event,
>regardless of what phrase they are in. These may be fairly useless,
>and I'm not sure if I'll actually need any the lexicon, except that,
>in conjunction with class 3 words, they could be used for a minimal
>level of recursive embedding of the semantics of clauses, even though
>there is no recursive syntactic embedding of clauses.
>
>This simple base allows the unambiguous expression of semantic webs
>involving a central "hub" (the event) with linear spokes of arbitrary
>length, and with pro"nouns" encoding co-reference allowing the
>potentially-ambiguous expression of arbitrarily complex semantic
>structures.
>
>-l.

Wouldn't the pro"nouns" be function words? I've probably completely misunderstood.

Jeff