CONLANG  May 2017, Week 1

CONLANG May 2017, Week 1

Re: Proto-Avelian: A Plausible Ancestor to WSL

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 May 2017 21:57:00 -0600

On 6 May 2017 at 21:43, J S Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2017 19:27:00 -0600, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Despite that fact that WSL (which, after all, originally stood for
>>"weird syntax language"), though surprising *usable*, was never
>>intended to be the sort of language that could plausibly evolve, after
>>a year-and-a-half of subconscious noodling I think I have the
>>beginnings of a plausible path through which something very much like
>>WSL actually could evolve from current languages.
>>
>>The key is to strip away most of the grammatical complexity of some
>>more normal language, and then buildup the very different categories
>>of WSL "from scratch", while keeping around enough complexity to make
>>the intermediate form a still-usable, still complete language. That
>>last part is the hard bit, and requires an answer to "what is the
>>simplest possible language?" As has happened many times in he external
>>history of WSL, this leads me back to considering David Gil's
>>theoretical ideal of the Isolating-Monocategorial-Associative
>>language. In homage, when I get around to *properly* documenting this,
>>I'm thinking I shall title the article/paper/thing _How Much Grammar
>>Do You Need to Sail a Starship?_
>>
> >From a language which is close to that ideal, having large stretches
>>of purely IMA-style language even if they are embedded in the
>>framework of a more complex language, it should be fairly easy to
>>develop something like the so-far-unnamed "sister language to WSL"
>>which I described on my blog a little over a year ago
>>(http://gliese1337.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-sister-language-for-wsl.html).
>>I recently discovered/invented the fact that the fictional star system
>>in which WSL is spoken is named Aveli, and thus WSL and related
>>dialects are part of an Avelian language family, which means that I
>>can now name this simple intermediate language Proto-Avelian.
>>
>>I think I may have made mention of this sketch on-list as well, but I
>>am not sure. Either way, it's been a while, and the blog is extremely
>>technical, so here's a quick run down of Proto-Avelian's mechanics:
>>
>>There are only 2 types of syntactic node: the clause, and the phrase.
>>A phrase is one or more words, where every word heads a phrase which
>>contains all following words up to an ending phrase boundary; A clause
>>is a syntactically flat collection of phrases.
>>
> Does this mean that, while a clause is linear, phrase syntax is recursive? Are multi-clause constructions also linear?

Correct.

>>There are no special function words which serve to mark phrase or
>>clause boundaries (or at least, there don't *have* to be; it's not
>>actually necessary to eliminate all function words, and it might be
>>useful to have a few slip through and provide an archaic origin for
>>some of WSL's function words, but I'm going to hold off and add those
>>in later). Rather, structural information i encoded in suprasegmental
>>intonation; a rising tone followed by a sharp drop on the next word
>>marks an intra-clausal phrase boundary, while a falling tone marks the
>>end of a clause. Rising-falling contours over a single word mark
>>pragmatic focus, which is important for certain focus-sensitive
>>lexical items.
>>
>>In syntactic terms, word order within a phrase and phrase order within
>>a clause are both completely free. Altering word order can change
>>literal meaning (not just things like topicalization), but there are
>>no syntactic limitations on which words can appear where, and thus no
>>syntactic grounds for identifying different parts of speech. In other
>>words (at least until I get around to adding function words back in,
>>if I do), any string of Proto-Avelian words is a valid Proto-Avelian
>>sentence.
>>
>>Each phrase denotes a set of referents, rather like a noun phrase, and
>>each clause expresses a proposition about some event which all of the
>>phrasal referents are involved in. Words can be divided into several
>>semantic classes based on what they say about the referent of the
>>phrase they are in, and the identity of the clause-level event.
>>
>>1. Words which assert some quality of the referent itself; e.g., it is
>>red, it is tall, it is human, it is a toy,it is a run, it is a kick,
>>etc.
>>
>>2. Words which assert some relation between the phrasal referent, and
>>the clausal event; e.g., that it is the agent, that it is the
>>location, that they are equal (i.e., that all of the descriptors in
>>that phrase are actually describing the event), etc.
>>
>>3. Words which assert some relationship between the referent of the
>>phrase they head and the referent of the sub-phrase which they
>>dominate, other than identity; e.g., father, mother, former, wannabe,
>>of, behind, inside, etc.
>>
> Does "the sub-phrase which they dominate" consist of the remaining words in the same phrase?

Indeed it does.

>>4. Words which restrict the cardinality of the set of referents (i.e.,
>>quantifiers); e.g., five, most, some, etc.
>>
>>5. Words similar to category 1, but which directly describe the event,
>>regardless of what phrase they are in. These may be fairly useless,
>>and I'm not sure if I'll actually need any the lexicon, except that,
>>in conjunction with class 3 words, they could be used for a minimal
>>level of recursive embedding of the semantics of clauses, even though
>>there is no recursive syntactic embedding of clauses.
>>
>>This simple base allows the unambiguous expression of semantic webs
>>involving a central "hub" (the event) with linear spokes of arbitrary
>>length, and with pro"nouns" encoding co-reference allowing the
>>potentially-ambiguous expression of arbitrarily complex semantic
>>structures.
>>
>>-l.
>
> Wouldn't the pro"nouns" be function words? I've probably completely misunderstood.

I suppose it depends on how you choose to define "function word", but
I would think so. They would have the same syntactic distribution as
any other word, and so would be distinguishable purely on semantic
grounds. Pronouns in natural languages tend to be identifiable as
function words because they constitute a closed class wit both
distinctive semantics and distinctive syntax, but anaphoric words in
Proto-Avelian wouldn't be identifiable as a distinct syntactic class,
let alone a closed one. Just like anaphoric nouns in WSL are not
syntactically distinguished from other nouns.

-l.