CONLANG  May 2017, Week 3

CONLANG May 2017, Week 3

Re: Are These Sound Changes Reasonable?

Daniel Swanson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 May 2017 09:07:20 -0500

> I don't see why this would be restricted by place of articulation.  Maybe
if it was part of a chain shift?  e.g. it's common to have [p] > [f] when
not adjacent to another labial, after which [pp] > [p] would fill a gap.
In retrospect that rule doesn't actually change anything, it was just to
make the next rule simpler in rsca.

> That is all instances of [x], right?  Unless there's been some
univerbation in the interim.  But OK.
I had imagined it would survive in some compounds.

>>25. s is inserted between m and n
>
>Incomprehensible.  The phonetic transition between [m] and [n] is nothing
like [s].  At a pinch a change like this could be a hypercorrection against
[s] loss between [m] and [n], but you don't have [s] in that position.
On second thought, I'm really not sure why I thought that worked, but I do
know why it's there.

I have a set of names from a story I wrote a while ago and I was trying to
make them fit. 25 was probably me giving up on finding a solution for
<Imsningnor>.

Thanks for all your input. I'll have to find a free afternoon or two to
mess with it.

--
Daniel Swanson, Certified Geek