CONLANG  July 2017, Week 2

CONLANG July 2017, Week 2

Re: Kôsma jumiś lul (With just a single step)

Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Jul 2017 22:28:47 -0400

Athenic Cuber wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why you chose to emulate the voices instead
> of having a human sing the song?

Technically the speakers of Tirëlat and Jarda aren't quite human ... I
guess they're my world's equivalent of humans, but they're furry, have
four-fingered hands, and see into the ultraviolet range of the spectrum.
That's one reason I used Utau when I wrote "Xojda rugi u room" instead
of just singing it ... the other reason is that I can't actually sing
that well. But if the voices don't quite sound human, that's perfect for
my languages.

Vocaloid has an interesting quality to the voices, especially the more
recent ones like the Kagamine Rin V4 I used in this song. I've enjoyed
listening to Vocaloid songs since I started playing the Project DIVA
games, and I've come to appreciate the skill of good Vocaloid producers
like any musician. Each Vocaloid has their own characteristic sound, and
I wrote this song specifically with Rin's voice in mind.

Another point to note is that I've been using unconventional tuning
systems. The great thing about working with digital instruments is that
I don't have to build new instruments for every tuning system like Harry
Partch or Ivor Darreg, just load a new tuning file. I do have to use
pitch bends for Vocaloid, but that's easier than getting a human singer
to accurately produce microtonal pitches while singing strange
combinations of phonemes.