Re: Peds ED-PICU Handoff

"Abramo, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Abramo, Thomas

Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:27:55 +0000

For many with PED & PICU  institution for best practice for patient safety with critical care needs there is a tier level transfer of PED patients to the PICU with no need for resident/fellow ( stable DKA pt, ingestion etc)and requiring a ( intubated, septic)PED Fellow or resident to give a short PED report. Setting the time limit of 10-15 minutes for this hand off resolves a majority of issues and miss perception of the care the PED attendings/fellows have given the patient. With just PED nurse giving patient report this has caused many misconceptions and inappropriate assumptions as to the care given by the PED Attending/fellow.
This is nothing new our Pediatric anesthesiology have asked to have a more formalized patient report/hand off to decrease misassumption, critical thinking actions given to the patient etc.
There was also a CHCA group that developed a formalized process which at Dallas and Vanderbilt we implemented.
Now I expect my mentor Gene I. To counter my statement.
Tom Abramo

Sent from my iPhone

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html