Monospaced Font

CONLANG  August 2017, Week 4

CONLANG August 2017, Week 4

Re: Human languages are constructed languages

Wesley Parish <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Aug 2017 19:40:08 +1200

I just remembered something I read some time ago in my adolescence. I don't
remember who wrote it; it may be been some of the American Bible Society
translation training textbooks by Eugene Nida my father owned. (My father
contributed to the Tok Pisin Bible translation during the 70s.)

To wit: in some societies some words are loaded with positive though hardly
harmless overtones. Some words are loaded with the opposite but likewise hardly
harmless overtones as well. Among these are the names of very powerful chiefs
who are rergarded as significant spiritual powers as well as being "merely"
"temporal" powers.

So their name gets reserved for fear of offending the dead chief, and
circumlocutions are used, then predictably abbreviated; in time the original
name is forgotten and the new word takes its place.

When you have this taking place as a matter of course, the vocabulary is going
to be reworked. And the effect on the grammar, I suspect, is going to be exactly
the same as when two very closely related languages get used in close proximity
to each other - Old English and Old Norse during the Danelagh period being the
example that springs to my mind.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Seth KAZAN <[log in to unmask]>:

> Interessant ... but in my point of view it is a matter of pushing an
> open
> door ...
> It is evident that no natural language (except to take religious texts
> in
> the proper sense what the new religion named science can not afford)
> has
> emerged ex nihilo but that it was indeed created by the men...
> The only natural characteristic is that it is a collective creation ...
> of
> the collective of each speaker who constructs by changing the meaning
> of
> a word (knowingly or by ignorance) by making a neologism, by trying
> deviant syntaxes ...
> Of course according to the social or genial weight of each speaker, his
> creations will be perennial or not ...
> Of course the language also evolves according to social needs, and the
> societies leave the imprint of their fields of action in the language
> until sometimes to plan until its grammar (gender theories, to remain
> in
> the world Contemporary, tries to reduce the imact of the grammatical
> gender
> by pretending to believe to the hypothesis sapir whorf ... as do all
> totalitarian projects ...)
> And the macro vision of linguistics makes it possible to envisage a
> natural
> thing where there is only a sum of micro construction ... much more
> difficult to apprehend and theorize ...
> Once again it will be for science to prove what common sense finds ...
> but
> to make accept such a deconstruction, it will need, like the micro
> creation
> of the speakers of the street to be perennial, to have genius or social
> position ....

> > Hi Patrik!
> >
> > I found your use of the natural/constructed distinction interesting.
> Would
> > you let me know how much of the following paragraph you would agree
> with?
> > This is not to be pedantic about your usage, but I do want to wrap my
> head
> > around the way you've divided up the semantic space with your
> somewhat
> > unconventional terms. As you've said, your thesis will be "attacked"
> as
> > soon as it's published, and the particular debate you are engaging in
> > attracts pedants.
> >
> > "Constructed and artificial are synonymous, and constructed/artificial
> and
> > natural are mutually exclusive. If some artifact is a 'social
> construct,'
> > this means the artifact is 'constructed' in a sense that is not
> > meaningfully different from the sense that is synonymous with
> 'artificial;'
> [...]

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn