CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: Word order

Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Sep 2017 22:56:13 -0700

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:12 AM, C. Brickner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> How strict are you in maintaining the word order you have given to your
> conlangs? What are the reasons that you deviate from this word order? I'm
> especially interested in SVO.
> Charlie

Ilion is pretty strictly SOV, though the verb can be fronted:

Simple declarative sentences are almost always SOV. VSO is licit but very
marked.
Interrogative sentences are SOV or VSO in roughly equal proportion. The
rule of thumb is that if the qu