CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: Taruven: current state of morphology

kaleissin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Sep 2017 18:58:57 +0200

On 2017-09-03 17:41, Jyri Lehtinen wrote:
> What a tease for enumerating the inflection slots but only naming what
> grammatical categories a couple of them are associated with. Could you
> continue with a quick rundown of what all the grammatical categories are
> that Taruven distinguishes? I'd also enjoy reading more about the quirky
> syntax that you promise for the complemented verbs. Sitting here, waiting
> for more.

There's a website with all the details (and hilariously poor examples
due to a lexicon that lacks the necessary words) that should be
googleable, these are what I hoped to make short and concise highlights,
*hah*. Next up is phrase syntax, and the loonine

>> Taruven morphology
>> ------------------
>>
>> Taruven is a very heavily affixing, and mostly suffixing, language.
>> Going by Michael Fortesque (1994) definition of polysynthesis it has the
>> traits a) noun/adjective incorporation,

Direct object only, compounds are something else.

>> c) the verb is a minimal clause,

Definitely: heal "I sleep/rest"

>> d) pronominal markers on verbs and nouns,

Partial. There's an implicit first person subject on the verb if there
is no overt subject in the clause, and there's the same
subject/different subject markers, that very much behave like pronouns.
Some nouns are inalienably possessed and therefore take a set of
possessive pronoun prefixes  if there is no noun proper available.

>> f) numerous morphological ‘slots’

Oh yes. No recursivity like in West Greenlandic though.

and h) non-configurational syntax.

Except when monster raving loony verbs and some of their fused n-th
descendants mess things up.

"chaos is a ladder",