CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: A Conlang Already Does It, Except Better? Or, English is Weird Again

PETER BLEACKLEY <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Sep 2017 14:36:21 +0100

I'll raise a wider issue, which many people will have heard me expound upon at LCC6.

The idea of "case" is based on the way that familiar IE languages such as Latin mark the grammatical role of nouns. Applying it to other languages might obscure interesting features of those languages. For example, the question "How many cases does Tsez have?" is not a useful question, because it ignores the interesting way that affixes combine in Daghestanian langauges. Applying that to conlangs, if you're too hung up on IE-style case systems, there are all sorts of things you could be doing with your nouns that you'll never even think of. So rather than ask, "What sort of case system does my language have?", ask yourself "How does my language mark the role of nouns?" and you might get a more interesting answer.