CONLANG  September 2017, Week 1

CONLANG September 2017, Week 1

Re: A Conlang Already Does It, Except Better? Or, English is Weird Again

Jeffrey Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:32:05 -0700

Aren't these emphatic pronouns, rather than nominative/accusative case?

Example:
The doorbell rings.
You say: Who is there?
Answer: It is I.
(grammatically correct - but very stilted)
Or: It is me!
(standard usage - emphatic 1st person singular)
[as in French: C'est moi!]

This is a case of syncretism, between accusative and emphatic. At least, it
can be analyzed that way.