CONLANG December 2017, Week 5

Finnish Sapir Whorf funnies

kaleissin <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Dec 2017 21:53:12 +0100

This year I traveled to Helsinki, Finland, to attend Worldcon 75. Not
without a little bit of apprehension.

You see, Finland has a bad rep in Norway thanks to Norway's imports of
Finnish television theater that thankfully ended during my childhood.
(But the reruns! Gaah.) I remember watching when very little, but cannot
really recall anything beyond suffering, silence, stares, grey, beige,
extreme boredom. Everyone my generation nods, slowly and understated,
whenever one brings up what feels like the summary of every episode: