Work life balance

Doc Holiday <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Jan 2018 23:43:26 +0000

It's funny, but I completely don't associate a work life balance with a number of hours worked.

In the UK, EM senior clinicians generally do not move jobs as often as I have come to understand is the habit in North America. For example, in my ED there are both military and civilian senior "attending" physicians and the civilians are all (100%) in their first permanent post since completing training. They range from 2-15 years there. This means that, in the UK, one considers job adverts (post-training) as something most people do once, so they are aimed at people just finishing training. With this in mind, the number of hours would not be among the items listed to attract people. It will be something left for the documentation one is sent on application. The advert will likely describe the place one will work in, the people in the team and the opportunities on offer beyond the clinical ones we all take for granted. At the beginning of one's career in one's chosen profession, if one is counting down the hours, then one should probably be questioning that career choice itself!

A few years ago, in the days when the Sterling was strong and the UK looked rosy, I ended up advising quite a few North American EPs about working in the UK. The number of clinical hours did come up. I got tired of people thinking I was being dishonest when I claimed I had no idea how many clinical hours a year a contract in my own ED was supposed to include. I eventually calculated it... In principle... Generally, a 100% (full time) Consultant contract in the NHS is 40 hours a week, of which 30 are expected to be clinical. Depending on where you work, 30-something % of clinical time will be outside what is called "sociable hours" (i.e. later than 7pm, until 7am, on weekdays, or any weekend hour outside Saturday morning) and these hours are counted as premium hours, with each 3 counting as 4, so one ends up with 28 or so actual clinical hours per week. One expects to work around 40 weeks a year, once leave and study/professional time is excluded, so that's 28X40=1120 for the year. Add to that 10 hours each week, on average, of non-clinical work, or 400 hours a year.

The whole notion of having to "balance" life and work as if they are mutually exclusive does not sit right with me. Work is just one of the nice bits of life we have. (For those of us who have the luck, mental stamina, parental support, stable society or whatever else it takes to get one the opportunity of being a doctor).

It was sometime in the 20th century when I last looked at a job advert, so maybe things have changed, but see what you can find by on-line search and see whether number of hours is mentioned. Adverts might state "10 sessions" or "10 professional activities" - that means 100% or full time.

Before you ask, the salary range for such a contract is US$105K-$135K annually. Many EDs offer a 110% contract (this typically means an additional 4 clinical hours each week for 1280 clinical hours a year with a salary augmented by 10%).

________________________________
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mick Work <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 21 January 2018 12:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PED-EM-L Digest - 19 Jan 2018 to 20 Jan 2018 (#2018-17)

I am curious as I saw this in a recent pem job advertisement.

“Exceptional work life balance with defined clinical hours - 1,544 hours/year”

I don’t fall into this category but: for those who feel they have achieved exceptional work life balance what number of clinical hours do you work?

Mick Connors

> On Jan 21, 2018, at 12:00 AM, PED-EM-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Exceptional work life balance with defined clinical hours - 1,544 hours/year

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html