CONLANG  February 2018, Week 1

CONLANG February 2018, Week 1

Re: Conlanging History

Tony Harris <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Feb 2018 21:45:37 -0500

I also started around 12 or 13 years of age, although I had been
interested in languages since before starting elementary school
(although I had no idea how to act on that interest at that age). My
first conlanging efforts are probably best left in the drawer, although
I have revisited the most developed one of that very early era to purge
out all the garbage, reconstruct it from the ground up, and incorporate
it into the Alurhsa homeworld as one of the ancient pre-unification
languages.  That language is Qalonse.

During that time I had also taken up self-study of Russian, and then
added Italian, and then started gorging myself on the smorgasbord of
language books available at the local library and a nearby bookstore
catering to college students, both of which had excellent foreign
language sections.

By the time I was just about 14 I had tasted a number of languages,
including Esperanto, which I became quite good at.  And with all that
material percolating and brewing inside of me, my conlanging got more
serious and sophisticated, and I began working on Alurhsa. Over time,
Qalonse fell by the wayside, and Alurhsa became my primary conlang.  I
invested myself heavily in it.  I did also have a couple others, a
Celtic a posteriori language and another a priori conlang called Escará,
which also were quite heavily developed, but eventually I returned to my
first love, Alurhsa, and stayed there.

That was just over 40 years ago.  The only break in my commitment to
Alurhsa came due to a period of what I'll call religious zealotry (or
insanity), where for reasons you have probably seen in the Conlanging
film (I think it's in the extras section) I became convinced that all
that conlanging and conworlding stuff was somehow demonic, and initiated
a purge of every last bit I could find, and then told myself I wouldn't
even think a word of it or write a letter of its script.  That lasted
for about 4 years before the deeply embedded seeds of Alurhsa sprouted
back and I started first recording passwords in the script, which I
found I still remembered, and then writing sentences, translating
things, and the language returned.  I had been so invested in it that
when ultimately I found elements I had failed to purge, some
spreadsheets with word lists, a translation of a short folk tale, and a
few other smaller bits, I found the vast majority of the words in those
lists were already in my newly reconstructed dictionary, and I could
read the texts as easily as I could things I had just written.  The folk
tale definitely sounds a bit stilted and archaic, like it was written in
a much earlier form of the language, but still readable.

I actually had been conlanging, and working on Alurhsa, for almost 20
years before discovering that any other conlangers existed.  I obviously
knew about Zamenhof, Schleyer, Tolkien, and so on, and had even borrowed
a book on Solresol back in my youth.  But the broader community had been
out of reach until I began working for the college where I still work,
which had better internet connectivity than anything I'd had available
before.  Altavista (anyone remember that?) is most likely what led me
into this wonderful community back in about 1996.  If I hunt around
enough I may even still have a copy of my first post or two.