CONLANG  February 2018, Week 1

CONLANG February 2018, Week 1

Re: Conlanging History

Melroch <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Feb 2018 12:30:10 +0100

In a way I started to conlang as I was learning to speak Since I was a
Swedish-German bilingual I was always aware that there were different
languages which had different words for things. I would make up my own
words on the fly if I didn't know the word for something. I remember when I
was five or so and realized that my dad and his Spanish friend were each
speaking a different language to each other (Spanish and French
respectively) and interpreted that as each of them having his own personal
language. I promptly made up some gibberish and claimed that that was my
personal language!

I started my first real conlang when I was eleven. A friend had a present
album with Tarzan comics which contained a Mangani-Swedish word list, and I
realized that you actually could make up a language for fictional purposes.
I already had my own fantasy world, because since I was physically disabled
I played inside my head a lot. I soon had two or three conlangs going. They
were really just naming languages but each of them had its own phonotactic
profile (although I hadn't freed my self of a Swedish/German phoneme
inventory).

About a year later my teacher read The Hobbit aloud to my class and when I
told a friend of my parents about it she lent me The Lord of the Rings and
soon also dispelled my first impression that the Sindarin names were from a
natlang. I briskly went on conlanging and worldbuilding for a couple of
years before my parents decided that it took to much of my time and energy
and put a ban on these activities and on fantastic literature. I complied
because I had gathered that they feared that it wasn't quite sane, and that
fear was transplanted on myself.

I managed to be allowed to take a languages-oriented secondary school
program and got an Esperantist as French and Latin teacher, who also taught
a class called "international vocabulary study" — you can imagine what he
used it for! Since I showed an interest he revealed not only that there was
also Interlingua, but also his own auxlang, and his French spelling reform
scheme. So I started auxlanging and developed an interest in historical
linguistics, which for better or worse influenced my choices when starting
university. In the mid nineties I got internet access at my university and
one of the first things I did was entering "Elvish" and "artificial
languages" in the search engine of the day. Thus I found this list and have
stayed around ever since. Back then the auxlang list had not split off yet
but luckily I rediscovered artlanging and eventually gave up auxlanging. I
used to produce a couple of more or less developed conlang sketches every
year, but nowadays my tempo has slowed down considerably, not least because
I've grown more and more self critical and raised my demands on naturalism
over the years.

Den 5 feb 2018 11:02 skrev "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" <