CONLANG  February 2018, Week 2

CONLANG February 2018, Week 2

Re: Conlanging History

Brian Bourque <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Feb 2018 20:04:27 -0500

Here are my answers to this section of the questionnaire:

A. PROFESSION, DEMOGRAPHICS, INCLINATION:

1. Who are you, and what is the name of your invented language or languages? Pseudonyms allowed.

Brian Bourque [bɔɹk]. The name of my invented language is Lortho [ˈloɾ.tʰo].

I created a cipher in middle school back in the late 80s which I largely have forgotten. It was a way to communicate secretly with one of my classmates in school. Currently, the language I am working on is Lortho [ˈloɾ.tʰo]. The seed was planted in 2003, but it wasn’t until 2016 when I decided to flesh it out.

No pseudonyms.

2. Are you new to the Lunatic Survey or have you filled out a version of this survey before?

I am completely new to the survey.

3. Do you have a website for you language(s)/world(s)? If so, please list the URL address(es).

For the language:

A. https://linguifex.com/wiki/Lortho
B. http://conworkshop.info/view_language.php?l=LTH

For the world:

A. http://conworlds.fun/cwbb/viewtopic.php?t=1490
B. http://aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6334

4. What is your email address? name at hostsite dot whatever.

bbbourq AT gmail DOT com

5. What is your age? (vague answers allowed, but it is an important demographic)

41

6. What is your gender?

Male

7. What is your nationality?  Where do you live now?

American - Los Angeles

8. What is your native language?

English

9. What natural languages foreign to you have you studied or do you speak?

Fluent - Persian (Farsi)
Proficient - French, Korean
Studying - German
Studied Latin, Homeric Greek, and Russian in high school
I can read Cyrillic (so I can read Tajik (Persian) with relative ease)

10. What is your level of education? i.e., your highest degree achieved or sought?

Associate of Arts degree in Persian (Farsi) from the Defense Language Institute, Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)

11. What is your profession? Are you a professional linguist? If so, what also makes you a conlanger?

Retired US Army translator (Persian and Korean). I work in the Security field for the Film and Entertainment sector in Los Angeles. I am not a professional linguist. I am very interested in language and language acquisition (I taught Persian to English speakers for a few years at DLIFLC). What makes me a conlanger? I created my own language.

13. If you are a student, what is your major or your area of study?

N/A

14. How long have you been developing your invented language(s)?

I have been actively working on Lortho since the end of 2015/beginning .

15. At what age did you first start inventing a language? Can you briefly describe your early efforts?

I invented Lortho as a language at 40 (late bloomer, I'd say). I created the first version of the Lortho script when I was 25. This was due to a friend of mine who was creating a Risk-like board game which had an inter-galactic feel to it and I was asked to create a script for one of the warring factions of this game; hence the seed.

16. What drew you to start inventing a language and/or constructed world?  What was the inspiration?

The inspiration came from trying to reconstruct the script from memory. The computer I used was corrupted and I was unable to extract the files, so I started nearly from scratch. As the script developed, I decided to get into creating the actual language and it has been in development ever since. As words come to life so, too, does the world. I _discover_ parts of the world when these words come to life and I get to see another glimpse into the culture and/or environment of the people who speak this language.

17. Did you start inventing before you had heard of the list or after? Before you had heard of Esperanto or Tolkien? (I name the two most common inspirations)

I started before I heard of the list, but after I had heard about Tolkien. In fact, Tengwar was one of the scripts that inspired my own.

18. Tolkien calls it a "shy art" and a "secret vice"; but that was before the Internet. How secret do you keep it from others outside this list for much the same reasons?

I do not keep my language secret at all. I often advertise my progress and the development of the languageto many conlangers through an assortment of different sites and social media.

19. Yaguello has called it "pathological," influenced, unfortunately, by a lot of psychiatric writings such as _Le Schizo et la langue_. To what extent have you encountered such reactions by outsiders you had taken into your confidence?

On the contrary, many reactions have been rather positive and many like to talk about my language to others. Some are speechless as to how one can create something so intricate and detailed.

20. Do you consider it nerdy to be doing this? This is a term that gets tossed around a lot. Or actually sophisticated? Do you need to get a life, or is this your life? What is a life?

It is both nerdy _and_ sophisticated. It's such a small niche that some might consider it nerdy. This isn't my life; rather, only a part of my life.

21. There has been a connection noted between linguistic and musical ability. Are you musically inclined? Do you sing and/or play a musical instrument? Do you compose music?

I play the drums from soft jazz to extreme metal. I enjoy and appreciate the art of writing music. I have been a member of five different bands in three countries.

22. There has been a connection noted between linguistic and mathematical ability. Are you mathematically inclined or inclined towards computing in any way?

I am not that great in math; however, I am good at HTML and CSS.

23. What other passions do you pursue that give you creative pleasure? (painting, drawing, sculpting, calligraphy, model-building, novel or story-writing, role-playing games, map-making, book-making, poetry, web-designing, star-gazing or other?)

I enjoy calligraphy to the fullest. I have been interested in calligraphy long before I got into conlanging and love the aesthetics of artistic writing. I especially like writing in the nastaliq style of the Perso-Arabic script. I also apply my calligraphy skills and knowledge to Lortho's script.

very respectfully,

Brian Bourque
SFC, USA (Ret)

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain