CONLANG  February 2018, Week 2

CONLANG February 2018, Week 2

Re: Perfect language (was: Re: Conlanging history - Much Better!

George Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Feb 2018 12:37:39 -0800

I hadn't thought about this. Allophones might not be good for
inter-nationality, but they do have lot's of upsides.

>I prefer a phonology more complex than either of your systems.  I want a
>moderately wide variety of phonological shapes, to keep ISV and "worldlang"
>borrowings, as well as proper names, demonyms, toponyms, etc., recognizable
>in most cases.  But if I were aiming to prioritize, above other design
>goals, the ability of people from different language backgrounds to be able
>to converse using their voices and ears as quickly as possible, then I
>would choose a phon. system closer to the first one.  I take it for granted
>that voicing distinctions, the lateral/central distinction, and so forth
>are liabilities to the conversational goal.  But they're also learnable
>distinctions, and they occur (in differing forms) in a large portion of the
>world's languages.  It's up to the designer to choose.  I choose what I
>consider to be a moderately complicated and difficult system, but not
>extreme system (a la Ithkuil, pace JQ), but not a simple one either.

We could go more complicated, but I think we should at least keep the
vowels at 3 or 5. In my personal experience it is much harder to learn new
vowels.