CONLANG  February 2018, Week 2

CONLANG February 2018, Week 2

Re: This and That

Melroch <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:13:19 +0100

AFMOC[^1] Sohlob has a somewhat odd number marking system.
Originally (i.e. in the intra-fictional ancestor language) it was a simple
system which marked number only on determiners and some pronouns, and that
was done by reduplication, i.e. the pronominal root was doubled so that
e.g. _i-ru_ 'here-DEMONSTRATIVE.INANIMATE' meant 'this (thing)' while
_i-ru-ru_ 'here-DEMONSTRATIVE.INANIMATE-DEMONSTRATIVE.INANIMATE'[^2] meant
'these (things)'. This was shortened to _irru_, which then again changed in
various ways, becoming _idru_, then _ïzïr_, (alternatively spelled
_iezier_). I won't describe it all here since it is well described in an
old post at https://goo.gl/ukkWTd (go and read it now!)[^3] Thus in
Classical Sohlob _zoghd ïn_ means 'elephant this' or just 'the elephant'
and _zoghd ïndïr_ means 'elephants these' or just 'the elephants'. 'An
elephant' is _zoghtah_ (or _zoghd-hah_), but that suffix is really just the
numeral 'one' although it undergoes vowel harmony so that 'a city' is
_hïhlïh_ (or _hïl-hïh_). Just _zoghd_ on its own usually means 'some
elephants' or 'elephants in general'.

[^1]: "As For My Own Conlang", another of those CONLANG list acronyms.

[^2]: The fancy way of writing this is "_i-ru~ru_ 'here~DEM.INAN'" with the
tilde indicating reduplication and the reduplicated material shown only
once in the gloss.

[^3]: I've changed the romanization of Sohlob since then; most notably:

    Old  New  ASCII IPA
    ---  ---- ----- -----
     æ    ä    ae    æ
     e    ï    ie    ɨ
     c    č    ch    tɕ
     ç    š    sh    ɕ
     j   ǰ/ž   j/zh  (d)ʑ
     ng  ŋ/ŋg  ng(g) ŋ/ŋg
     ñg   ŋg   ngg   ŋg
     q    ǧ    gh    ʁ/ɣ
     x    ȟ    kh    x/x

     I'll be using the ASCII version of the consonants here just in case
someone lacks the appropriate font support. :-(

Den 14 feb 2018 08:22 skrev "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" <