CONLANG  March 2018, Week 2

CONLANG March 2018, Week 2

Re: A longish monologue on phonology (instead of Salish syntax (^_^) )

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:25:53 -0400

On 11 March 2018 at 19:37, Aidan Aannestad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is somewhat apropos of the recent Conlangery podcast on the usefulness
> of linguistic theory in conlanging, and somewhat just because I've had some
> (to me) wonderfully enjoyable ideas to share. I've finally been properly
> reading through John Goldsmith's introduction to autosegmental phonology and
> I've been having my mind opened to all sorts of wonderful things, and many
> of these are being put in some way or other into my new language project
> (provisionally named 'the Nonlang', not because it's a 'non-lang' but
> because it's a 'non-conworld conlang' that's been shortened). I seem to be
> ending up with something that is a quite pleasing mix of theoretically
> straightforward when properly understood but still quite bizarre and
> seemingly irregular on first glance. Plus, for everyone out there who loves
> playing with syntactic structures, I've managed to get some relatively
> analogous fun out of phonological structures - something it feels like many
> conlangers might not be aware is possible.

While I am "good at phonology" in the sense that I got good marks in
the subject at school, and I have tried to do interesting phonological
things with some of my own languages, and therefore am aware that fun
with phonological (and morphophonological) structures is possible, I
nevertheless do not consider myself very good at it in the conlanging
sense. So I'm glad to see some other people taking the time to write
detailed monologues on the subject!

> Like I alluded to in the title, this is going to turn into a somewhat
> Kearsleyan long theoretical monologue, but I hope it'll be interesting
> nonetheless. (I quite enjoy Logan's monologues, though - I'm sorry I never
> say anything! Saying just 'that was interesting, thank you' seems so
> horrifically disproportionately short compared to the original post that it
> feels worse than saying nothing.)

I've been adjectivized! I'd write my monologues anyway, 'cause writing
things down helps me get my own thoughts in order, but it's good to
know somebody else actually enjoys my ramblings. :)

> [...]
> CV(V) syllables that the Nonlang mandates (ignoring for the moment the issue
> of geminates). In the case of /kárú/, there is only one to insert: /kárú+t/
>> */kárút/ > /kárútɨ́/. In the case of /mírɨ́/, however, the actual stem of
> the verb is merely /mir-/, and thus what we get is /mír+t > *mírt >
> mírɨ́tɨ́/, with two epenthetic vowels.
>
> This difference - the fact that /kárú/ ends in a vowel and /mírɨ́/ ends
> (underlyingly) in a consonant shows us the difference between the two
> affixes. While the past tense is simply a single consonant /-t/, the
> optative-y thing is a single consonant /preceded by an empty vowel slot/.
> When this follows a vowel directly, that vowel simply associates with the
> emply slot in addition to its own slot, and is thus a long vowel. When this
> follows a consonant, there's no neighbouring vowel to associate the slot
> with, and so one is inserted to fill it. Unlike the above epenthetic vowels,
> though, vowels inserted to fill a /preexisting/ vowel slot are total copies
> of their leftward neighbour - vowels inserted /along with/ their slot (to
> break up an underlying CC sequence) only borrow their neighbour's height
> value.
>
> Why the tone change, though? Vowel epenthesis happens after initial tone
> association in the Nonlang, and thus when tones are initially associated
> with vowel slots, epenthesised vowels aren't present to be associated with.
> Thus, in the case of a form like /mírɨ́tɨ́,/ the underlying pre-epenthesis
> form /mir-t/ has only one vowel for tones to associate with. /Kárú/ is
> simple, as it just has one high tone, which spreads rightward at a very late
> stage. /Mírɨ́/, however, actually has a high-low sequence. In the case of
> both the past tense and the plain stem, the initial high tone associates
> with the initial vowel, while the low tone has nothing left to associate
> with; later, after the epenthetic vowels are inserted, the high tone spreads
> rightward, and the low tone is left entirely unassociated and thus
> unrealised. In the case of /mírìr̥ɨ̀/, though, the underlying form of
> /mír-V//r̥ /has two vowel slots from the beginning, and thus the low tone as
> well has something to associate to.
>
> In short, the underlying forms of the above examples are these-
>
> /káru/-/t
> káru-Vr̥
> mír(L)-t
> mír(L)-Vr̥/
>
> -which together give a quite straightforward explanation to an otherwise
> very bizarre set of alternations.
>

> I suppose I can summarise by saying that this particular linguistic theory -
> autosegmental phonology - is having a quite profound impact on my
> conlanging, and allowing me to create even more realistic pairings of overt
> complexity with covert simplicity. (It's even providing better explanations
> for phenomena in Emihtazuu that I decided on before I'd heard of it!).

That does not surprise me. Honestly, if presented with only these two
examples, I would have come up with a quite different explanation of
the alternation than the "real one" you've presented (which is quite
nice!), although I'm not sure what exactly I'd do about the tones.
It'd be interesting to see a wider range of examples that give *more*
support to the multilayered autosegmental analysis.

-l.