CONLANG  March 2018, Week 2

CONLANG March 2018, Week 2

Re: Tone on vowels with umlauts (WAS: A longish monologue on phonology (instead of Salish syntax (^_^) ) )

Jeffrey Joshua Rollin <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2018 22:00:49 +0000

On 12 March 2018 at 21:03, Eyal Minsky-Fenick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On a Mac (US-extended), alt-A V gives ǖ, and similarly for alt-E (ǘ), alt-V
> (ǚ), and alt-` (ǜ). For the Hungarumlaut version, alt-shift-J gives a
> combining double-acute (so p̋, for example), and in general adding a shift
> to a dead key gives the combining version of the accent. And double-grave
> is alt-shift-Y, though that only works for ȁȅȑȕȉȍ; alt-J only works for űő,
> but combining characters help. Is it possible to use a Mac keyboard layout
> on Linux? (US-Ex also gives a lot of useful characters with alt-shift-;,
> which turns 235678@#%^* into ƨɛƽƅ⁊ȣƧƐƼƄȢ, Qq Ww Ee Rr Yy Uu into Ƣƣ Ƿƿ Ǝǝ
> Ʀʀ Ȝȝ Ʊʊ, Aa s Gg Hh Jj Kk into Əə ſ Ɣɣ Ƕƕ Ƞƞ K’ĸ, and Zz Cc v Nn Mm
> into Ʒʒ Ɔɔ ʌ Ŋŋ Ɯɯ; and alt-shift-., which turns q Rr Tt Yy Uu Ii Pp into ʠ
> Ʈʈ Ƭƭ Ƴƴ  Ʋʋ Ɩɩ Ƥƥ, Ss Dd Ff Gg h Kk into Ʃʃ Ɗɗ Ƒƒ Ɠɠ ɦ Ƙƙ,
> and Zz Xx Cc Bb Nn into Ȥȥ Ɖɖ Ƈƈ Ɓɓ Ɲɲ.)
>  se those, too.
>
> That's a LOT of useful info, thanks - and yes, it is possible to use a Mac
layout in Linux (even on a Lintel box) - in fact I customarily use it, as
Apple can't be bothered to put the " and @ in the right places for British
keyboards (the opposite positions to American ones), a feat even Commodore
(which purchased the Amiga company in what Amiga Format called "a rare fit
of insight") managed - and I also have access to a Mac, so (a) I'm used to
it and (b) that will come in handy.

Luckily, I won't need anything other than the diacritics you mentioned, as
I'll be using 'y' for /ü/, "to increase the similarity to Finnish
ocularly," as Tolkien would say, which means I can use 'ý' and 'ỳ'.

Jeff.